Chargers @ Browns Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 5)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Before the opening kickoff for the game even took place, I expected the Chargers to lose. I didn't think they'd be able to keep the tide of the Browns' elite running game dammed up sufficiently. BUT THEY DID. That's a huge credit to coaching.

The Browns' game plan focused their resources on limiting what Herbert could do. So if the Chargers were going to win? It would have to be through some means OTHER than QB greatness. And the Chargers did it by RUNNING the ball, which they had REALLY struggled to do in the first four games of the schedule. That's another credit to coaching.

Some really important things went well in this game for the Chargers, but we have some Chicken Littles saying, essentially, that these good things don't matter, because this *bad* thing took place: the decision to go for it on 4th and 2.

The good things *do* matter. And the bad things need to be corrected. But hysterically demanding firings-- and bringing on the associated upheaval-- is outright preposterous. Let's keep our wits about us, Bolt Fans, please...

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Yeah Keenan was sure impressed with the coaching, a captain and longest tenured Charger
      What did Keenan say?
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

What that is really saying is that he believed odds of getting a short play to get first down was much higher than counting on his bad defense to keep cleveland from scoring...... THAT part may be true..... get first down then game is over......
        Defense held Browns to 7 points in 2nd half. That’s not bad defense.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Glad we pulled that win out on the road. The way the game started I had my doubts that we’d get that result. Outscored them 30-14 after that. Played a solid second half. Need to get better in the red zone on both offense and defense

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            I think the Browns did us a favor by passing so often. We couldn't stop those two RB's of theirs but they often quit running and passed instead. It appears our staff isn't the only one to make poor decisions.
            agree...... I was wondering why in 2nd half, with game in their control, they started trying to get fancy instead of continuing with the old school butt-whipping they were doing the entire first half..... they waited till 4th to give Chubb the ball again.....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Yeah Keenan was sure impressed with the coaching, a captain and longest tenured Charger
              See ALL of Keenan's post game Tweets for fullest context.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Defense held Browns to 7 points in 2nd half. That’s not bad defense.
                defense did not stop them.... cleveland stopped themselves with dropped balls and bad decisions..... Brissett clearly had the first down if he runs instead of attempting that stupid pass......

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

There would have been mutiny if they lost today. May still be. Look at Keenan’s tweets. The players know that was the dumbest decision you could make. He’s gonna have a hard time getting past this. Who is worse? Hackett or Staley? Toss up
                  Hackett easily.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

What did Keenan say?
                    He expressed shock when we went for it on 4th at the end.

WTF"? Man, man ,man. on twitter.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      I’m going with my initial reaction in real-time. It was the same as Keenan’s. “WTF”

However, I can understand KVN’s reaction because the defense stepped up and made Browns kick a long field goal.

Charger defense should be congratulated for that effort. It was outstanding. However, Staley shouldn’t have put their backs against the wall like that.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                        Before the opening kickoff for the game even took place, I expected the Chargers to lose. I didn't think they'd be able to keep the tide of the Browns' elite running game dammed up sufficiently. BUT THEY DID. That's a huge credit to coaching.

The Browns' game plan focused their resources on limiting what Herbert could do. So if the Chargers were going to win? It would have to be through some means OTHER than QB greatness. And the Chargers did it by RUNNING the ball, which they had REALLY struggled to do in the first four games of the schedule. That's another credit to coaching.

Some really important things went well in this game for the Chargers, but we have some Chicken Littles saying, essentially, that these good things don't matter, because this *bad* thing took place: the decision to go for it on 4th and 2.

The good things *do* matter. And the bad things need to be corrected. But hysterically demanding firings-- and bringing on the associated upheaval-- is outright preposterous. Let's keep our wits about us, Bolt Fans, please...

I dont expect a firing 5 weeks in, of course not. But Staley is a talker who talks a good game but is in a little over his head as an NFL head coach.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

I think the Browns did us a favor by passing so often. We couldn't stop those two RB's of theirs but they often quit running and passed instead. It appears our staff isn't the only one to make poor decisions.
                          Brisset was successful throwing the ball-- as pretty much any QB would be-- when the Bolts failed to pressure him.

When Brisset *was* pressured, it was a different story, including the crucial INT by Alohi Gilman.

I suspect that the Chargers didn't want to over-commit with pressure, which would leave them *really* vulnerable to draw plays, and quick slants-- ie-- 40 - 70 yard gashes. I think the defensive philosophy for this game was, "Make Brissett beat us. Our efforts are going to focus mostly on Chubb and Hunt".

Comment

Working...
                          X