Film Study : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week10 vs SF)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    Yeah, they lost but they sure did fight hard. If we had a couple of good WR's out there, we would have won because the defense played well.

I do wish they would throw deep to Carter about once a quarter. If the defense can come out playing that hard every week and we get KA & MW back, we still have a shot. We still couldn't get the running game going though. That's a worry going forward.
    The run game wasn’t going to work against SF. Just like it wasn’t goi g to work against Denver. They’re just better than us upfront. We had some success against Cleveland and Atlanta. Of course just when Kelley proved he was #2 he went down. Spiller looked ok in Atlanta. We should have better results against KC. If we don’t I sure hope Dumbo Lombo doesn’t try to push it on 1st down everytime.

Comment

• Darth Sergious
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

NoMoreChillies it has been said time and time again, let's add one more, thanks for this top top content you share with this group, much appreciated!

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Here’s Popper’s breakdown about what happened in the 2nd half.

I wanted to highlight something.
        The 49ers defense adjusted at halftime and started playing more shells with two deep safeties — known as two-high shells — in the second half. San Francisco lined up in two-high shells on 29.7 percent of its 37 defensive snaps in the first half, according to TruMedia. That rate jumped to 42.1 percent in the second half. The Chargers offense had beaten the 49ers for chunk gains in the first half against man coverage, like on Joshua Palmer’s 25-yard reception on a wheel route down the left sideline in the first quarter. The 49ers responded by playing more zone coverage in the second half out of these two-high shells to take the deep part of the field away from Justin Herbert.

The natural adjustment by the Chargers was to try to run the ball against these two-high shells. An extra player deep in coverage meant fewer players in the box closer to the line of scrimmage. The Chargers faced boxes with six or fewer defenders on 46.1 percent of their early downs in the first half, according to TruMedia. They faced those boxes on 53.8 percent of their early downs in the second half.

“We were trying to run it effectively against a light box,” offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          "We were trying to run it effectively against a light box," offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said.
          Well, that's interesting. In that case, why does Lombo frequently attack a heavy box with runs and short passes?

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, that's interesting. In that case, why does Lombo frequently attack a heavy box with runs and short passes?
            I think he has not the tools to do more.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Yep...there are Pop Warner coaches who could dial up a better variety of plays...

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Yep...there are Pop Warner coaches who could dial up a better variety of plays...
                Sure. You keep thinking that.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Sure. You keep thinking that.
                  I took a lot of heat from some people when I started up the Lombo thread...now, weeks later, after watching the Bolts lose several winnable games, most of the posters on this forum agree that Lombo's playcalling leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least...

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

I took a lot of heat from some people when I started up the Lombo thread...now, weeks later, after watching the Bolts lose several winnable games, most of the posters on this forum agree that Lombo's playcalling leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least...
                    You can rightly argue any play call that doesn’t work. But not paying attention to who a coach has available to play and the impact it has on what can be called is ignorant.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

You can rightly argue any play call that doesn’t work. But not paying attention to who a coach has available to play and the impact it has on what can be called is ignorant.
                      There's been a lot of games when Lombo had most, if not all of his starters playing, and he still pulled the same Lomboball schtick...and we lost some winnable games...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

If by lack of tools you mean a lack of imagination and creativity then you are correct, lombo is a legacy guy with one of the greatest last names in football, I have to imagine that his career path might’ve been different if his last name was correlli or scarbogini or something like that…as in he might be doing something else with his life right now…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

There's been a lot of games when Lombo had most, if not all of his starters playing, and he still pulled the same Lomboball schtick...and we lost some winnable games...
                          We also had the fifth best DVOA on O last year, so when having a “normal” injury year shows he is not nearly as a bad as he is being made out to be, and in fact had success.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍