• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig440
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Kemp was picked up in 1962 by the Bills. I think we tried to sneak him through waivers.
    And the compensation to the Chargers was 100 dollars.

How much did Jim Kemp cost the Bills in 1962?
    Buffalo Bills coach Lou Saban noticed that Kemp was available and claimed him for a $100 waiver fee on September 25, 1962, in what sportswriter Randy Schultz has called one of the biggest bargains in professional football history.

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Christine McVie really hurt. I was fortunate enough to see her perform with Fleetwood Mac a few years ago.
      My all time favorite classic rock band. Just so many feels about my dad and brother who passed years ago. Its like the family band. And i always preferred McVie over Nicks because she seemed to be the shy quiet one who always hid in the back. But likely was the one who kept that band together. That must have been stressful. She was really magical. Good woman. Good person. Amazing talent. I will miss her.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Tobin Rote was the starting QB in 1963
        You are correct. Hadl was drafted and started at QB in 1962. He was replace by Tobin Rote who came out of retirement the next year. Hadl was still a great QB. It was a different game back then. Comparing stats with modern QBs is not a good indicator. Bump and run back then meant mugging the WR. Namath is in the Hall of Fame but his stats stink compared to modern QBs. The difference is that Namath won a SB, Hadl was not as fortunate.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

My all time favorite classic rock band. Just so many feels about my dad and brother who passed years ago. Its like the family band. And i always preferred McVie over Nicks because she seemed to be the shy quiet one who always hid in the back. But likely was the one who kept that band together. That must have been stressful. She was really magical. Good woman. Good person. Amazing talent. I will miss her.
          Well put! Although I've been in lust with Nicks for years now.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Send PM

I recall seeing Hadl at a rodeo in Lakeside, CA many years ago. The PA person even announced his presence there. Hadl always looked more like a cowboy to me than a NFL QB. I appreciate everyone's contributions here regarding Hadl.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              RIP John Hadl. I barely remember watching him play, a very good QB. #21 was retired because of LT, but is shared with Hadl.
              Me too. I have seen him throw some pretty bombs to Alworth on youtube though.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Well put! Although I've been in lust with Nicks for years now.
                Definitely. Coked up skinny Nicks was hot. lol I feel like most in that band were sort of free spirits doing their own thing...like children....christine the mother.

Comment

• Floyal Rush
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2022
                  • Send PM

Wow!! Just saw news about Christine McVie. Seen the Mac 4 times. And Fleet? There is no likely about it. She WAS the glue that held that band together. She wrote and performed “Songbird”. A song specifically written about holding things together during some tough times. That song was played at a memorial I attended because the person who passed, was the glue that held a certain group of people very close to me together. Her husband John once said in an interview years ago, “Chris never wanted the spotlight “. “She just wanted to make music and be part of something special “.

RIP Mr. Hadl. You were gone from San Diego 2 years before I became a fan. The Hadl to Alworth connection. Wish I could have seen it in person.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Christine McVie really hurt. I was fortunate enough to see her perform with Fleetwood Mac a few years ago.
                    PERFECT musician( her actual maiden name!)Big loss. RIP to my sister( we share the same date of birth- different year)

Comment

• WindsorUK
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Windsor, U.K.
                      • Send PM

The original #21. Hadl to Allworth and Garrison. Saw him play many times. Those charger teams were entertaining, but a cut below the Raiders and Chiefs. RIP John.
                      Fouts to Chandler, Humphries to Martin, Rivers to Gates, Herbert to Keenan.....LOADS of GREAT connections over the years for Bolt fans but I think they all bow to Hadl to Bambi.

Cursory look says they averaged 60+ catches, 1200 yards, and almost 12 TD's over a 6 consecutive year period in the 60's- imagine what those numbers would look like in today's NFL????

RIP Bolt legend.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Fouts to Chandler, Humphries to Martin, Rivers to Gates, Herbert to Keenan.....LOADS of GREAT connections over the years for Bolt fans but I think they all bow to Hadl to Bambi.

Cursory look says they averaged 60+ catches, 1200 yards, and almost 12 TD's over a 6 consecutive year period in the 60's- imagine what those numbers would look like in today's NFL????

RIP Bolt legend.
                        That was back in a 12 game season, too. I don’t think it changed to 14 before he retired, much less 16 and now 17. Today’s stats with >33% more games are measuring a different game than they played.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• cmplxgal
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • New Jersey
                          • Send PM

LOADS of GREAT connections over the years for Bolt fans but I think they all bow to Hadl to Bambi.

Agree.

PERFECT musician( her actual maiden name!)Big loss.
                          I've always loved her name as Christine Perfect.

Comment

Working...
                          X