Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week12 vs ARI)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

That was it, that was the only scheme players open play he had. We will have to wait 2 more seasons to see the next one.
    LOL...but disagree...I don't think we'll wait 2 more seasons because Lombo is most likely gone in a month or so...

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Good work, Chili. But let's not forget the UGLY: K9 is in perfect position to tackle Connor short of the goal line:

k9 whiff 1 vs cards for td.JPG

But no...he whiffs to allow the TD:

k9 whiff 2 vs cards.JPG

Ugh...K9 dogging it again...
      We can speculate all night what would have happened if K9 had done that play.

Comment

• Craig440
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Great stuff once again NMC's. I look forward to these. So much so that I wrote down a play while watching the game that I wanted you to review. I know we were in zone defense but shouldn't the DB's at least try and cover someone? I think you said you are good with us asking these kinds of questions.

A little less than 2 minutes before half time. Arizona ball on about the 50 yard line. Pass to Hopkins for 20 yards. What was Davis doing? It looked to me like no one was near any receivers. If you have time can you do what you do on that play for me and explain?

Thank you
        Craig.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

We can speculate all night what would have happened if K9 had done that play.
          Some of us would say, "tres bien!" Others would say, "K9 got lucky." Unfortunately, seems like we see more whiffs than tackles...

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
            Outback Goon
            • Sep 2018
            • Australia
            • Send PM

Good work, Chili. But let's not forget the UGLY: K9 is in perfect position to tackle Connor short of the goal line:

k9 whiff 2 vs cards.JPG

yeah that one was ugly

I think K9 is trying to create turnovers instead of hitting hard

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post
              Great stuff once again NMC's. I look forward to these. So much so that I wrote down a play while watching the game that I wanted you to review. I know we were in zone defense but shouldn't the DB's at least try and cover someone? I think you said you are good with us asking these kinds of questions.

A little less than 2 minutes before half time. Arizona ball on about the 50 yard line. Pass to Hopkins for 20 yards. What was Davis doing? It looked to me like no one was near any receivers. If you have time can you do what you do on that play for me and explain?

Thank you
              Craig.
              For sure. I love requests. The more knowledge we share the more we enjoy football and learn together.

I think i found the play:

2nd quarter 1:57 on the clock, 2nd and 10 ball on 47yrd line
              ARI #85 goes in short motion but just enough to force Vato into press and reveal the zone coverage. Derwin drops very deep not wanting to give up the big play (Staleys scheme), Murray drops a little too far inside and should have drifted towards the numbers to cover the flat, which would have put him in a better position to defend the pass to Hopkins. It seems like Kyler just read the zone and Hopkins was on same page just squatting down in the hole.

I would love some big football brains input here. What could Derwin/Vato/K9 do different? OR is it just a perfect pass play executed what the defense was giving them?

Comment

• Craig440
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

For sure. I love requests. The more knowledge we share the more we enjoy football and learn together.

ARI #85 goes in short motion but just enough to force Vato into press and reveal the zone coverage. Derwin drops very deep not wanting to give up the big play (Staleys scheme), Murray drops a little too far inside and should have drifted towards the numbers to cover the flat, which would have put him in a better position to defend the pass to Hopkins. It seems like Kyler just read the zone and Hopkins was on same page just squatting down in the hole.

I would love some big football brains input here. What could Derwin/Vato/K9 do different? OR is it just a perfect pass play executed what the defense was giving them?
                Yes that is the play. I'm not real good at coverage things. So I have not a lot of input as to what to do but if you freeze it at 6 seconds I see seven defenders and four Cardinals in routes. There is only one defender within ten yards of one receiver. There is four defenders at the 45 yard line. I don't get it. Seems kind of easy for the offense to me.

Thanks for your work.
                Craig.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

It looks like the way to beat zone coverage. Make 1 guy cover multiple receivers. K9 started out having good depth and should have continued to drop and like NMC said, drifted a little wider which would have had him bracket Hopkins with James over the top. The guy in the flat was stressing Vatos to cover the flat and the deeper Hopkins, which essentially meant he was covering no one, which is the design of the play. With most zones the breakdown is the LB not getting a deep enough drop. That is why coverage LB's like Donnie Edwards are so rare and good to have when you can get them.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

k9 whiff 2 vs cards.JPG

Running @ 90 degrees to RB direction of travel with no concealing traffic is far from perfect. There was no better than 50/50 opportunity. RB made a better play.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Running @ 90 degrees to RB direction of travel with no concealing traffic is far from perfect. There was no better than 50/50 opportunity. RB made a better play.
                      Looks more like 45 degrees to me...if K9 pulls up just a bit and goes for the sure tackle instead of launching himself, he gives himself a better chance to stop Connor...Launchwhiffy would be proud...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

RB is pinned against the sideline, thats a big giant extra defender type assist. I have to agree with the poster, that tackle should have easily been made. now whether it actually makes any difference (e.g. they don’t score) - beats me there.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Looks more like 45 degrees to me...if K9 pulls up just a bit and goes for the sure tackle instead of launching himself, he gives himself a better chance to stop Connor...Launchwhiffy would be proud...
                          I don’t see a 90deg angle, but i don’t have a protractor handy. Its basic contain and stop defensive tackling situation, the RB is on the sideline, just get the fucker out of bounds.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X