Chargers @ Raiders Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Wk 13)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

LOL. When Lombardi was calling first down runs for no gains, everybody was crucifying him for not calling pass plays.

The real problem is how shitty the OL is. They can’t run block and open a gap to save their lives. Same with pass blocking. They are dominated at the LOS by every other team, especially when Linsley is out.

With Slater, Linsley, and Pipkins out on OL, this team simply can’t compete. With Johnson, Bosa, and now SJD out on DL, they can’t mount a pass rush or run defend.

Trenches are the worst I’ve ever seen them and Telesco should have brought in reinforcements before the trade deadline. Instead they hung Herbert, Mack, James, and fans out to dry by waiving the white flag of CHEAPNESS.

even if everyone comes back healthy next year, Telesco still needs to build more stout OL and DL. I’m tired of seeing them dominated for the past 10 years.

For Gods sakes, the last time we had dominant trenches was when Merriman was playing decades ago. How many more years of neglect and malpractice by John boy do we have to suffer through?
    Not everybody. I have been wanting to run the football more since Norv Turner was in his final days as head coach. I even got into a ten-page debate with ChainCrusher over the issue last January. He thought we should run the ball less than we did last season.

The offensive line is not the issue when it is relatively healthy. The issue is not committing to it. It becomes more effective when you run it more. It wears out the defense as the game goes on, and by the fourth quarter you use it to close out the win. You rarely see us do that. I can't even remember the last time it happened for us.

Comment

• Berserker76
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
      Hope the jerk pulls up lame next week. He COULD have played that way for us, he was getting well paid.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Hope the jerk pulls up lame next week. He COULD have played that way for us, he was getting well paid.
        That game was Tillery Superbowl. He was gonna play good. You know it, I know it, but Will Clapp didnt know it

Comment

• La Costa Boy
          Pretty much retired......
          • Sep 2018
          • JoJa
          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

That game was Tillery Superbowl. He was gonna play good. You know it, I know it, but Will Clapp didnt know it
          Will Clapp SHOULD have known it.......How hard is it to figure out that a guy that was cut might play with a chip on his shoulder? I'm sure Lombardi told him not to worry about it.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

So Tillery wasn’t the worst Telesco draft pick he just didn’t fit in Staley’s system. Maybe same for K9?

Reason I bring this up, is because there is a lot of talk about giving Staley the boot after two years. This would be a big mistake. He needs one more offseason to field enough of his system fit players along with less injuries to really make a fair evaluation.

Listened to the directors pod coming home last night about firing him and bringing in Sean Payton. Very disappointing when one of the biggest Charger fans gives up so easily on Staley when beginning of season the mantra was “trust in Staley”. How about that “trust in Staley”? I get the frustration, Chargers are unwatchable trying to close out games since Herbert got hurt and rest of injuries mounted up into piles of inactive starters. But I’d be very disappointed if Spanos threw in the towel on Staley, paid butt load for Payton while handing over decision making to another new regime so quickly.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
              So Tillery wasn’t the worst Telesco draft pick he just didn’t fit in Staley’s system. Maybe same for K9?

Reason I bring this up, is because there is a lot of talk about giving Staley the boot after two years. This would be a big mistake. He needs one more offseason to field enough of his system fit players along with less injuries to really make a fair evaluation.

Listened to the directors pod coming home last night about firing him and bringing in Sean Payton. Very disappointing when one of the biggest Charger fans gives up so easily on Staley when beginning of season the mantra was “trust in Staley”. How about that “trust in Staley”? I get the frustration, Chargers are unwatchable trying to close out games since Herbert got hurt and rest of injuries mounted up into piles of inactive starters. But I’d be very disappointed if Spanos threw in the towel on Staley, paid butt load for Payton while handing over decision making to another new regime so quickly.
              I actually enjoyed the director

Fak Staley's system and his stubborness sticking to it. How about some basic football like stopping the run instead of the embarassment we endure every week when every RB goes off for 150+. ( even James Conner) i hope people realize not only do we give the other team easy points it keeps our best asset Justin Herbert off the field.

It is becoming apparent the only reason his system worked for one year with the Rams is because he had one of the best defensive tackles in the history of the NFL.

Speaking of Herbert, he IS the franchise and the future. An experienced coach like Peyton will know what to do to maximize his unlimited potential...not waste it.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Will Clapp SHOULD have known it.......How hard is it to figure out that a guy that was cut might play with a chip on his shoulder? I'm sure Lombardi told him not to worry about it.
                Why would you say that? Clapp is a backup for a reason - not sure why anyone would be surprised that a backup former 7th round pick who has sucked each and every time he has been on the field would struggle against anyone.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Why would you say that? Clapp is a backup for a reason - not sure why anyone would be surprised that a backup former 7th round pick who has sucked each and every time he has been on the field would struggle against anyone.
                  No one expects him to b Corey Linsley but Clapp has looked awful any time he has been in there.

Is it just me or do we seem to have the worst back ups? (with the odd exception like Slayer) i mean you even notice it in pre season when we get slaughtered by other teams back ups or against Houston last year in the Covid Bowl whe their back ups ruined our playoff odds

As the most injury prone team in football you think it is sometjimg they might want to address.

I guess it starts with TT not wasting 3rd and 4th round draft picks

Comment

• UtahBolt
                    Did we win?
                    • Jun 2013
                    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

No one expects him to b Corey Linsley but Clapp has looked awful any time he has been in there.

Is it just me or do we seem to have the worst back ups? (with the odd exception like Slayer) i mean you even notice it in pre season when we get slaughtered by other teams back ups or against Houston last year in the Covid Bowl whe their back ups ruined our playoff odds

As the most injury prone team in football you think it is sometjimg they might want to address.

I guess it starts with TT not wasting 3rd and 4th round draft picks
                    You could see that in the preseason when we kept all starters out. It was clear that our backups were bad against other teams second and third teams and just plain awful against the other team's starters.
                    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

You could see that in the preseason when we kept all starters out. It was clear that our backups were bad against other teams second and third teams and just plain awful against the other team's starters.
                      Totally. In pre season our back ups routinely get dominated by other teams back ups

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

The Fangio/Staley scheme is very effective if you have ALL of the necessary personnel. It is by design top-heavy and requires great talent in almost every part of the field. Unfortunately, if you are missing one or two pieces, it all falls apart. The failure of Staley's defense as it stands now is that he doesn't have two behemoth DTs (or one generational-level talent NT) in the middle that can effectively take on and beat double teams -- I'd argue we barely have anyone on the line that can even beat their one-on-ones most of the time, including those starters that are injured -- thus exposing the secondary which in our case can't tackle and are atrocious in run support. Staley wants to set the edge so the DBs can come up and tackle, but we don't have the personnel on the line to do that right now, and even when and if we did, there's too much of a burden placed on our secondary by asking them to execute different assignments instead of focusing on coverage when arguably we don't have that level of talent on the back end to execute all that he requires from his DBs. Staley either needs two DBs the caliber of Derwin James, two behemoth DTs or one generational NT in the middle to make it all work with what we have on the back end. As a somewhat of reprieve for Staley, I'd argue that if he had the Broncos defensive unit, he could make it work here the same way Ejiro Evero is doing now.

As an aside, if you look back to 2010, the season where we had that atrocious ST unit, the reason we were so effective defensively that year is that we found an Antonio Garay somewhere in the dumpster bin, and he played to a level that a prime Jamal Williams did for us in years prior. He was the lynch pin along with Kevin Burnett, the inside linebacker who was coordinating the defense on the field. We need to find an Antonio Garay or two that can last more than a season or two.

Comment

Working...
                        X