• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

The ability to win close games is a plus in my book.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

But it *does* match your own particular narrative. So there is that.
      If you are implying that I leave my emotions out of my analysis... I will accept that.

My "narrative" has been... Injuries have been multiple and substantial. No other team has suffered as much from their injury situation as the Chargers this year. It is nearly impossible to evaluate coaches and GM given the number of injuries this year. Once we get healthier, we will begin winning more consistently. If we get to the playoffs (almost certain) we can beat/compete with any team... as we have already done so against Chiefs (even though we had substantial injuries). There are no dominant teams in the NFL this year. Trip to the Super Bowl can realistically happen.

Most of these "talking points" have come to fruition... still waiting on a couple. If they don't pan-out... I'm sure that I'll get bashed. I'm comfortable with that.
      Currently, however, I get to brag a little. My scenario has played out... while others' scenarios have not. That's the nature of the game...

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

If you are implying that I leave my emotions out of my analysis... I will accept that.

My "narrative" has been... Injuries have been multiple and substantial. No other team has suffered as much from their injury situation as the Chargers this year. It is nearly impossible to evaluate coaches and GM given the number of injuries this year. Once we get healthier, we will begin winning more consistently. If we get to the playoffs (almost certain) we can beat/compete with any team... as we have already done so against Chiefs (even though we had substantial injuries). There are no dominant teams in the NFL this year. Trip to the Super Bowl can realistically happen.

Most of these "talking points" have come to fruition... still waiting on a couple. If they don't pan-out... I'm sure that I'll get bashed. I'm comfortable with that.
        Currently, however, I get to brag a little. My scenario has played out... while others' scenarios have not. That's the nature of the game...
        I'm in lockstep with you. Let's see how this team does with the "pro-bowl" players back on the field. If they do well, we're ready for the future, if they have all their players back and don't get it done, it's time for some changes. I'm of the opinion that Staley will lead them properly and he'll be back next season. We'll know for certain pretty soon.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

I'm not implying that you, or anyone else, has left emotion out of their analysis. That's the nature of posting, and being a fan. It's emotional. We give a shit. Probably too much of a shit, if you ask me. As for your analysis - and others who have made similar claims - you all deserve kudos. If we measure 'fruition' simply as 'Ws', then certainly. Still, nothing has really been accomplished, so the final results are not yet in. Even a win tonight, and a playoff birth, will merit an 'INC' grade. About this time next months the grades will be finalized.

And I don't think you'll be 'bashed' if your talking points don't come true. At least you shouldn't be. I've said this a million times: We all are just throwing our own opinions out there, which is what makes for a lively discussion board. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is correct all the time. And that's OK.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

The problem with this narrative is that defense was relatively healthy during the time that the team struggled and suffered a couple of blow outs. They are less healthy now than at any point this season yet played their two best defensive games in the last two weeks. It seems that the players only defense meetings and dinners have really helped the club on that side of the ball.

on offense Herbert’s injury impacted his play greatly. That is pretty clear as we get back to seeing him look more like 2021 Herbert. Having said that, the offensive side of the ball has looked pretty underwhelming even now when we have our guys back healthy. I still hold out hope that they will click on all cylinders and not rely on late game heroics. You can’t bank on that.

the biggest change for this Charger team is that they don’t beat themselves. Penalties are down, fgs are made and we are getting some breaks. That’s a refreshing g change

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The problem with this narrative is that defense was relatively healthy during the time that the team struggled and suffered a couple of blow outs. They are less healthy now than at any point this season yet played their two best defensive games in the last two weeks. It seems that the players only defense meetings and dinners have really helped the club on that side of the ball.

on offense Herbert’s injury impacted his play greatly. That is pretty clear as we get back to seeing him look more like 2021 Herbert. Having said that, the offensive side of the ball has looked pretty underwhelming even now when we have our guys back healthy. I still hold out hope that they will click on all cylinders and not rely on late game heroics. You can’t bank on that.

the biggest change for this Charger team is that they don’t beat themselves. Penalties are down, fgs are made and we are getting some breaks. That’s a refreshing g change
              I think what Boltnut is saying is that we can only now, over the next 4 games, evaluate Joe Lombardi competently.
              That everyone is now back, save Slater; but you can't expect to have 100% of your starters available at this point in the season.

That one should now expect 30+ points as being the new offensive norm: even Critty ratcheted up my expectations earlier today predicting a 51 point Charger offensive outburst tonight.

This is Boltnut's position.

Good point about not beating themselves: A Lynn's white whale.

Can only think of the game in K.C. where they lost it by turnover.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think what Boltnut is saying is that we can only now, over the next 4 games, evaluate Joe Lombardi competently.
                That everyone is now back, save Slater; but you can't expect to have 100% of your starters available at this point in the season.

That one should now expect 30+ points as being the new offensive norm: even Critty ratcheted up my expectations earlier today predicting a 51 point Charger offensive outburst tonight.

Or, his position is that we are to expect 9 - 6 defensive struggles from here on out,
                with Lombo's offense admirably controlling TOP and field position as their primary concern,
                effectively giving the D breathers.

Not certain: something to do with modern football.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Good point about not beating themselves: A Lynn's white whale.

Can only think of the game in K.C. where they lost it by turnover.
                  If that is Boltnut’s position I disagree and it hasn’t looked stellar the past 2 weeks even with everyone back. The Rams put up 51 points with all second stringers and some 3rd and 4th stringers on offense. They beat Denver so badly they couldn’t wait to fire Hackett. McVay is known for his offense and playcalling. I do t think Lombardi is

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

If that is Boltnut’s position I disagree and it hasn’t looked stellar the past 2 weeks even with everyone back. The Rams put up 51 points with all second stringers and some 3rd and 4th stringers on offense. They beat Denver so badly they couldn’t wait to fire Hackett. McVay is known for his offense and playcalling. I do t think Lombardi is
                    Well,

a) Herbert was still dealing with the rib problem the last two games.
                    b) the offensive line needed time to mesh: finally together again, the last two games have been like preseason.
                    c) their offensive weapons are finally playing together and there also existed a transition period towards getting their timing down with Herbert
                    d) Lombo needs to figure out how to use his full arsenal: he's getting there.

I'll think of something else soon to tack on.

But, 30 + point games from here on out,
                    or the TOP kings of football.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Go Bolts !!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

At the hotel, getting ready to walk over...already ran into about a half dozen Charger families or groups...lol, Colts fans are telling us they hope we win and improve their draft position!
                        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Not speaking for rich- I have no breaking point. Nothing about winning embarrasses me. We could go 17-0 like that and I would be insane with joy.
                          F all you 31+ tards!

ps: Merry dayafter Christmas!
                          But It's not a question of going 17 - 0,
                          it is a question of revising one's expectations about that 'deep' run in the playoffs.

Next time you feel comfortable calling others 'retards' here,
                          I'll gladly respond in kind.

Comment

Working...
                          X