Clear All
  • madcaplaughs
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Don't get the "Fire McCoy" thing

He won with Tebow as his QB
    Changes the whole system when Manning came in, and won with him

We just lack talent, and have been beset by injuries, especially on the O-line.
    Does anyone feel similarly?
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post

Honestly, I'm torn....in many ways, I like McCoy & agree with you about the dearth of talent & injuries.......on the other hand, I feel he has made some overly/uber-conservative & bone-headed calls/decisions this year that make me wonder if he is really cut out for this job.

Comment

• CTrout
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I don't really have a problem with McCoy. Get him a real DC and new OC. That alone would improve this team instantly.

Some luck on the injuries would also help.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

If the Spanoses get a bunch of great players, McCoy could lead them to the post season. However, McCoy will never win a Super Bowl. He's too prone to turtle up. He's boring. He's a low-energy guy. The Spanoses need high energy people. McCoy will never make the Spanoses great again. He's a loser.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Someone has to take the fall for the season, and the organization won't change out the personnel guys. I don't care if they fix it at this point, but I haven't seen any growth in McCoy, or the ability to adapt when he was losing people. He's fine when there is some stability, but you've seen other organizations are able to do the next man up thing, and are in the playoffs. I personally think the issue is with John Spanos and Telesco, they've guessed wrong on the free agents and most of the draft picks, but the HC still has to cook.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            Someone has to take the fall for the season, and the organization won't change out the personnel guys. I don't care if they fix it at this point, but I haven't seen any growth in McCoy, or the ability to adapt when he was losing people. He's fine when there is some stability, but you've seen other organizations are able to do the next man up thing, and are in the playoffs. I personally think the issue is with John Spanos and Telesco, they've guessed wrong on the free agents and most of the draft picks, but the HC still has to cook.
            Telesco has done terribly. He's the worst G.M. the Spanoses had during my life as a fan.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post

he's pissed away too many leads to lose close games. Questionable clock management and game day strategies. DID NOT adapt OUR offense to make best use of Melvin Gordon despite depleted WR corps while we still had 4 capable RBs + 4 healthy TEs. Who kept trotting Jacoby Jones out there with 1 yard of TOTAL Punt returns for half the season with Herndon available? I could go on.

Belicheck would have made the playoffs the last 2 years with the same players MM has had to chose from- despite the injuries. Nearly all the other teams that hired Head Coaches the same year as McCoy have already been fired for underachieving and MM should be as well for the same reason. No more learning on the job- we need a proven NFL Head Coach to turn this around.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Agree on the talent and injury arguments but I don't see where his program is turning mediocre players into good players or lesser players into mediocre ones. I think it was probably his call on Reich and that was a terrible call to go along with poor in-game calls. Maybe he would do better with new coordinators but at least on offense, its his game plans that Reich is implementing. In my opinion he's maybe even regressed as a coach. His blandness bothers me but that's all he allows us to see. Might be different with his team. I know this...we need new coordinators at a minimum.

I think you'd be hard pressed to call Telesco the worst. There once was a guy, who, after initial success saw value in trading 1st rounders for 2nd rounders. Even I knew that wasn't a recipe for success.

Comment

• Maverick
                  (Coryellian)
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Point Loma
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                  There once was a guy, who, after initial success saw value in trading 1st rounders for 2nd rounders. Even I knew that wasn't a recipe for success.
                  Oddly, that mf is in line for the HoF....(smh).....I don't get it.

Comment

• Maverick
                    (Coryellian)
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Point Loma
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                    I think you'd be hard pressed to call Telesco the worst.
                    Agree....I don't really think TT has done terribly. IMO, he aggressively tried to revamp our OL w/both new starters & depth, but major injuries across the board completely derailed that effort. Was that his fault---who knows, but I am willing to give him a pass. Maybe he reached for Gordon, or maybe he didn't....can't tell with the way our OL turned out this year. I like a lot of what Reich did this year with Rivers....notsomuch with our running game. Again, who knows how much of Reich's running game woes were due to our OL being in shambles most of the season.

Of course, TT will always be saddled with the Cox FA signing & Butler extenstion, but I can't think of one GM who hasn't had multiple misses.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

6th most likely to be canned after the likes of Mularkey, Pettine, Pagano, etc.

San Diego Chargers

Mike McCoy: 9

The Chargers have played teams tough, but they have lost nine of their past 11 games. Heavy underdogs in Denver this Sunday, San Diego will likely finish the season at 4-12. Yes, injuries have been an issue, but it's unacceptable to finish this badly when you have a healthy franchise quarterback like Philip Rivers. And with the Chargers eyeing a move to Los Angeles, the organization could consider a more dynamic presence as the team's head coach." -- Eric D. Williams

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Head coaches need balls. MM doesn't have them. He tops out as OC in my book.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                        X