• Show
Clear All
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    The Chargers have played teams tough, but they have lost nine of their past 11 games. Heavy underdogs in Denver this Sunday, San Diego will likely finish the season at 4-12. Yes, injuries have been an issue, but it's unacceptable to finish this badly when you have a healthy franchise quarterback like Philip Rivers. And with the Chargers eyeing a move to Los Angeles, the organization could consider a more dynamic presence as the team's head coach." -- Eric D. Williams
    It's a tough call, but I think this is where I shake out on McCoy as well....

Comment

• Maverick
      (Coryellian)
      • Jun 2013
      • Point Loma
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      Head coaches need balls. MM doesn't have them. He tops out as OC in my book.
      Speaking of OCs....it has also occurred to me that perhaps McCoy is the one who is making Reich look bad.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
        Agree....I don't really think TT has done terribly. IMO, he aggressively tried to revamp our OL w/both new starters & depth, but major injuries across the board completely derailed that effort. Was that his fault---who knows, but I am willing to give him a pass. Maybe he reached for Gordon, or maybe he didn't....can't tell with the way our OL turned out this year. I like a lot of what Reich did this year with Rivers....notsomuch with our running game. Again, who knows how much of Reich's running game woes were due to our OL being in shambles most of the season.

Of course, TT will always be saddled with the Cox FA signing & Butler extenstion, but I can't think of one GM who hasn't had multiple misses.
        I think he's had some tough luck and he's made some poor calls. But he also did a credible job of patch working the OL during the playoff year. He did that with dog collars and chicken wire. He's also struck gold on a few guys like Woodhead, KA, Attaochu, Perryman and Verrett. Emanuel, Fluker (probably an overdraft and seems to have regressed), Carrethers, Tourek and Mager are contributing or show some promise. Brandon Oliver looks like he's got the juice as an UDFA. I might've been OK with him as the lead back and going a different direction in the 1st round of the draft. Dunlap was a good signing that hasn't been able to stay healthy. But everyone shot that signing down and he has probably been our best OL during his tenure. We're lucky he signed Patrick Robinson who has played pretty well. Inman looks like a good signing. Herndon has some skills. I'm still not convinced that the Donald Brown signing was as bad as it looks. He's a player that probably needs a better line, but he's also not been given a ton of opportunities. Even Brandon Flowers was a pretty good signing on the one year deal. Who was to suspect that he'd play like crap after signing a big deal? Maybe injuries are responsible but he played his ass off last year.

I just don't think that track record is as awful as the last years of AJ Smith.

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

I think he's had some tough luck and he's made some poor calls. But he also did a credible job of patch working the OL during the playoff year. He did that with dog collars and chicken wire. He's also struck gold on a few guys like Woodhead, KA, Attaochu, Perryman and Verrett. Emanuel, Fluker (probably an overdraft and seems to have regressed), Carrethers, Tourek and Mager are contributing or show some promise. Brandon Oliver looks like he's got the juice as an UDFA. I might've been OK with him as the lead back and going a different direction in the 1st round of the draft. Dunlap was a good signing that hasn't been able to stay healthy. But everyone shot that signing down and he has probably been our best OL during his tenure. We're lucky he signed Patrick Robinson who has played pretty well. Inman looks like a good signing. Herndon has some skills. I'm still not convinced that the Donald Brown signing was as bad as it looks. He's a player that probably needs a better line, but he's also not been given a ton of opportunities. Even Brandon Flowers was a pretty good signing on the one year deal. Who was to suspect that he'd play like crap after signing a big deal? Maybe injuries are responsible but he played his ass off last year.

Good assessment...totally agree

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

I don't think the last years of AJ were as awful as some depict them either. Injuries to key players were bad then too. Reality is those years were also coincident to the rise and influence of John Spanos in the scouting dept. and overall football operations. We all know TT has not had the final say on much of anything when it comes to picking players via draft or FA.
            Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• homeless simpson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

FUCK MCCoy. Boo hoo he has injuries and lack of talent, big shit, he won't be the first coach in nfl history to be fired from an injury riddled talentless team.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Agree on the talent and injury arguments but I don't see where his program is turning mediocre players into good players or lesser players into mediocre ones. I think it was probably his call on Reich and that was a terrible call to go along with poor in-game calls. Maybe he would do better with new coordinators but at least on offense, its his game plans that Reich is implementing. In my opinion he's maybe even regressed as a coach. His blandness bothers me but that's all he allows us to see. Might be different with his team. I know this...we need new coordinators at a minimum.

I think you'd be hard pressed to call Telesco the worst. There once was a guy, who, after initial success saw value in trading 1st rounders for 2nd rounders. Even I knew that wasn't a recipe for success.
                Yes, that guy who did those terrible things is also the guy who took a team from the depths of Henning's unstructured balls to its only AFC Championship ever. You're going to say Telesco has done that well?

Comment

• homeless simpson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                  Yes, that guy who did those terrible things is also the guy who took a team from the depths of Henning's unstructured balls to its only AFC Championship ever. You're going to say Telesco has done that well?
                  You have to remember that prior to this season's losing streak, there were posts/threads that made it seem like the McCoy/telesco era was the best era the Chargers have ever had. We're in good hands/in McCoy/telesco we trust. 4evah.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                    No Sir, I Dont Like It
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Section 457
                    • Migrant Film Worker
                    • Send PM

I'm still waiting for proof he's a HC. Haven't seen shit in 3 years.
                    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                    sigpic

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                      I don't think the last years of AJ were as awful as some depict them either.
                      I do. His last 5 drafts only yielded Ingram, Liuget, Stuckey, Vasquez and Mathews who were worth a shit and you could argue Mathews and Liuget. But none of those guys is a star player. You have to go back to 2007 and Weddle to find anyone that's a true Pro Bowler. Verrett and Attaochu are probably already better than any of those guys.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Telesco's bests compare nowhere near beathards or ajs bests, and his mediocre/ worst moves are equally as bad. But somehow those two older guys are the most reviled gms in team history, and the guy with barely any accomplishment is some kind of godsend ( well, until the team went on a losing streak and how rapidly people jumped off his nuts)

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

My point is, is that McCoy has a good track record for implement schemes that highlight the strengths of his players.
                          On paper, with Gordon, Dunlap, Fluker, Franklin, etc., we had a great power blocking potential, and running game. It just didn't work out that way.
                          I don't see the wisdom in throwing out the baby with the bathwater here
                          Also, McCoy finally gave Rivers more control. With Rivers making more calls at the line, I think we've been better than we could have been.
                          Yeah, it's been a terrible year. I just don't think its McCoy's fault.
                          I hate to say it, but next year could be worse. Hopefully we'll get a good OT in the 1st, and Defensive lineman in the 2nd this year. The draft looks good for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X