• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

MIke Williams Is Out Against The Jags

I want this to be a front and center discussion here not just some hidden discussion in our other threads. I am definitely not hoping we lose...i am certain we can compete without him. But we are 4-0 when KA and Mike are on the field for 50% of the snaps together. And we risk losing these guys in a meaningless game? There has to be some sort of analytics that support not playing them right? Staley was livid in his post game when asked about playing these guys. And while he sort of seemed triggered by the question...i personally think he was pissed at himself.

It could have been avoided. I just will never understand the logic that you have to play the guys that are making it back from big injuries this season. I am really pissed right now. All i really want if for coach to say he screwed up. You just cant have your key injured players like Mike and Keenan out there last week. Its too important and a huge risk. Mike has been nursing injuries his whole career. Keenan plays so hard he gets banged up. I think it was just the fact that Staley wanted to be a 11 game winner. There was no reason to play them.

Mike Williams (back) has been ruled out for the Wild Card round.

Williams hurt his back in a meaningless Week 18 game against Denver and was not able to practice this week ahead of LA's Wild Card game against the Jaguars. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said further testing revealed a break in Williams' back that will probably sideline him for a couple weeks. Losing Williams -- who had a team-leading 33 percent air yards share in the regular season -- means Justin Herbert has no viable deep threat. We could see Herbert and the Chargers dink and dunk their way down the field against a weak Jacksonville secondary. Head coach Brandon Staley downplayed Williams' injury early in the week and said he has no regrets about playing his starters for most of last week's game against the Broncos.

• Air Coryell
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2021
    • Carlsbad, CA
    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
    • Send PM

"Not a good look at all

........ and we get what we pay for in new flavor of the day young coaches for Spanos burrito wagon prices."

Saw this somewhere. ​

Comment

• jox g
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
      I want this to be a front and center discussion here not just some hidden discussion in our other threads. I am definitely not hoping we lose...i am certain we can compete without him. But we are 4-0 when KA and Mike are on the field for 50% of the snaps together. And we risk losing these guys in a meaningless game? There has to be some sort of analytics that support not playing them right? Staley was livid in his post game when asked about playing these guys. And while he sort of seemed triggered by the question...i personally think he was pissed at himself.

It could have been avoided. I just will never understand the logic that you have to play the guys that are making it back from big injuries this season. I am really pissed right now. All i really want if for coach to say he screwed up. You just cant have your key injured players like Mike and Keenan out there last week. Its too important and a huge risk. Mike has been nursing injuries his whole career. Keenan plays so hard he gets banged up. I think it was just the fact that Staley wanted to be a 11 game winner. There was no reason to play them.

Williams hurt his back in a meaningless Week 18 game against Denver and was not able to practice this week ahead of LA's Wild Card game against the Jaguars. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said further testing revealed a break in Williams' back that will probably sideline him for a couple weeks. Losing Williams -- who had a team-leading 33 percent air yards share in the regular season -- means Justin Herbert has no viable deep threat. We could see Herbert and the Chargers dink and dunk their way down the field against a weak Jacksonville secondary. Head coach Brandon Staley downplayed Williams' injury early in the week and said he has no regrets about playing his starters for most of last week's game against the Broncos.

Unfortunate!
      All good tho. I want to stay realistically positive because it is what it is.
      What's better this time around vs the jags?
      *Herbert 100 pct healthy
      *2 LB's are playing better vs the run
      *Gillman is better than who we used last time. A guy named NAS
      *Josh Palmer + Parham = One Mike Dub!?! (Gonna email em now to USE 6'8" PARHAM MORE). Catch % is very high w/ him. Plus, can draw flags.
      *Corey LInsely in this time.
      *Parham in this time.
      *"Revenge"
      *This team is resiliant.
      *If Staley loses, chance for a better coach next season!!!
      *If Bolts win, Staley and staff progress
      *Still a win win
      *Playing starters last week increases chances of WINNING. (Stats show when teams rest starters b4 Wildcard, the winning percentage is only .333). Let's have courage. I choose to.The choice is yours.

Gen 12:3 Bless Israel, God will bless you. Curse Israel, God will curse you. Robert Kraft has won many SB's. Has given generously to Israel. Keep this up for a blessing on the Bolts! Want to win!

Last edited by jox g; 01-13-2023, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Eurobolt
        *** Jim Harbaugh ***
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

It is Mike's fault he wanted to play...

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

This is why I really don't think it was his call. Staley is so tuned into sports science it really makes no sense. This is the field I've been in for nearly 30 years so I see the things he does from a little different perspective. He never practices on wednesdays, never plays his guys in pre-season, and is very cognizant of reps and snap counts. Then as you mentioned note how pissed off he was after that Denver game. He has to know the physical benefits of a week off otherwise he wouldn't implement all the other recovery oriented things he normally does throughout a season. The decision to play starters so long last week is totally incongruent with his decisions the last 2 years. The only logical explanation to me is it wasn't his call.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I admit that I've been (and still are) a Staley supporter, since IMO he does more good than bad, but the decision to play MW in the Denver game was just stupid, and exhibits either his inexperience or outright arrogance.

MW is the only receiver we have who is a matchup problem for our opponents, is absolutely critical to the passing game, and also gets nicked up a lot. If I had a list of offensive players I wanted to make SURE were as healthy as possible for the playoffs MW would be at the top of the list, just behind JH, and in front of Lindsey, and Eckler. The team had nothing to gain by winning, and everything to lose if someone important gets hurt.

I don't really care how he handled the aftermath - all coaches play games with information, but my preference would be that he just admits it was a dumb decision and he'll learn from it. I am concerned that he HASN'T done this (yet), and that he is either; potentially arrogant enough to believe that he made the right choice in this, or too proud to admit a mistake, either of which to me would indicate a serious flaw in his makeup that will handicap his performance going forward.

Suffice it to say that I'm beyond pissed off. This injury was completely unnecessary. In a single stupid decision BS has neutered his chances to advance in the playoffs. I think we still roll the Jags, but without Williams JH is going to have to be beyond godlike to beat KC, at home, after a bye week. If I was the Owner I wouldn't go as far as to fire him over this, but he'd for sure be on the fucking carpet, and leave my office with a lot less ass than he came in with, and if he complained about his ass chewing after the fact I WOULD absolutely fire him.

Rant over - GO CHARGERS!!!​

Comment

• northerner
              Charger fan since '79
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

i am normally ok with important players playing the first half of a meaningless game, and then sitting out the second half.

since MW was hurt in the first half, I can't throw too many stones at Staley. I think more guys should have sat the whole second half.

as for someone like Bosa, he needed to get in reps so that he could be ready/effective for the playoffs, so i was ok with him getting in snaps at Denver. I am not sure how much he actually played.

unfortunate situation, but this is a little bit like espn talk show bait - all those guys love to jump all over a coach on something like this, but again, he got hurt in the first half. however, if Keenan was still playing in the second half of that game - THAT IS DUMB. i did not watch that game.

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Also...Sean Payton? just kidding.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

MW out 2-3 with a fractured back. Found on 2nd MRI.

Chargers wide receiver Mike Williams has a small, nonsurgical fracture in his back that is expected to sideline him two to three weeks, sources told ESPN.

1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                  2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                  2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                  3a- #66 Puni OT
                  3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                  4a- #105 Rice WR
                  4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                  5- #140 Green CB
                  6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                    This is why I really don't think it was his call. Staley is so tuned into sports science it really makes no sense. This is the field I've been in for nearly 30 years so I see the things he does from a little different perspective. He never practices on wednesdays, never plays his guys in pre-season, and is very cognizant of reps and snap counts. Then as you mentioned note how pissed off he was after that Denver game. He has to know the physical benefits of a week off otherwise he wouldn't implement all the other recovery oriented things he normally does throughout a season. The decision to play starters so long last week is totally incongruent with his decisions the last 2 years. The only logical explanation to me is it wasn't his call.
                    Interesting take. The decision to play Mike does seem at odds with his overall philosophy of taking care of his players. I would actually prefer this to be the case (rather than it being his decision), but why would Ownership (and who else could dictate this kind of thing to an NFL head coach) do such a thing? And why would Staley allow it anyway?

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. I think he was pissed afterwards because he recognized how badly it went wrong and what the inevitable backlash was going to be like. He's made that worse by spinning tales that only a child would believe.

I bet he's been on his knees every night since last Sunday praying that MW's available for the playoffs, but nope, now he has a 'worst case' scenario to deal with. If he thought the backlash was bad this week wait until they lose because we couldn't outscore KC. All of this will be front and center all offseason, just like the decisions made in the Raiders game last year. For all his smarts (and he is very smart) he can be his own worse enemy sometimes, and it's disturbing that this trend seems to come out at the worse possible times . . . .

I'm hoping for the best

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                      Dea Spanos my HERO
                      • Dec 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                      "Not a good look at all

........ and we get what we pay for in new flavor of the day young coaches for Spanos burrito wagon prices."

Saw this somewhere.
                      That was me.

Mike needs "another" MRI and "further" testing to find a broken back ?

What the fuck happened the first time around and not catching it ?

Yeah not a good look at all ......

Next man up

Playoffs

BTFU

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
                        MW out 2-3 with a fractured back. Found on 2nd MRI.

Chargers wide receiver Mike Williams has a small, nonsurgical fracture in his back that is expected to sideline him two to three weeks, sources told ESPN.
                        if he was just missing the Jax game, this would not be as bad. 2-3 weeks is a killer. shit.

Comment

Working...
                        X