• Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

San Diego media amateur hour

"Mike McCoy's case strengthened in loss"

4-12, atta boy! Why don't we plaster a huge sign at the airport welcoming travelers that reads, "Welcome to San Diego, we embrace shittiness!" Only in SD would an article like this get written. The sad irony is that a clusterfuck organization like the Chargers and a bumbling city like San Diego truly deserve each other, yet they can't even get that unholy union to work out.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

What I think Gehlkin is writing is that internally the team leaders like Rivers and Gates are seeing a coaching staff that had to work with insurmountable issues, so John Spanos will make the desision on that. I think the team has no one they listen to that will tell them they suck. So, I think it's a fair article to explain the sillyness on Murphy Canyon Road.

Gates and Rivers have Stockholm Syndrome. You are what your record is , The Number Three pick in the draft.
    Last edited by Bolt-O; 01-04-2016, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• Maverick
      (Coryellian)
      • Jun 2013
      • Point Loma
      • Send PM

Not saying I am a huge McCoy fan, & I certainly have been critical of propensity to turtle up during games, but I am not as disappointed as some of you (about the likelihood of the Chargers retaining him) given the following:

1) I definitely think he's better than his record implies given all of the injuries we've had in nearly every aspect of the team. The team never seemed to quit on him, despite not having much to play for.
      2) A lot of us on here mock the whole "continuity" concept, but I would rather our cornerstone player (Philip Rivers) not have to learn an entirely new system, especially if we are close to turning this thing around.
      3) Who else would we hire in McCoy's place? The only coach I could possibly get excited about would be Payton, & even he has struggled since winning the SB a few years ago.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

To be fair, the injuries this team suffered have been ridiculous. Look at who was missing at the end of the game: on offense, we were without our top 4 WR, our #2 TE, our starting RB, 3 of our starting linemen, and several backups. On defense, we were without one of our starting lineman, our top 3 corners, one safety and a backup safety who is our best ST player. And it has been like this most of the year. It's really hard to judge the job someone does when the team is so wiped out. The Patriots are going through the same rash of injuries to their line and receiving corp and it affects even the elite teams - they have lost 4 of 6 games.

I am ready to move on from McCoy but it sounds like we won't be. So I guess Reich and our ST coach will be the sacrificial lambs and we'll get more McCoy. I am wondering if they try and bring back Wiz as our OC.

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          So I guess Reich and our ST coach will be the sacrificial lambs and we'll get more McCoy. I am wondering if they try and bring back Wiz as our OC.
          The OL has been so makeshift over the past season that I'm not even sure Reich deserves to be canned. I know our scoring dropped off considerably in the back half of the season, but our passing attack remained pretty deadly....moreso than it ever did in Wiz' tenure. For me, it is not as obvious as to who to blame for the running game woes----Reich, OL injuries/inexperience together, Coach D, our RBs???

With regard to playcalling/Reich, I (like most of you on this board) hate the (largely unsuccessful) delayed draws & the insistence to run up the gut that we tend to do a fair amount....but as I have watched other teams, those seem to be staple plays of theirs as well...so who knows what the problem is.

As with McCoy, perhaps Reich is better than he is being painted here.

Comment

• homeless simpson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Maybe SD deserves shitty coaches since people are so forgiving with all these excuses.

Comment

• Maverick
              (Coryellian)
              • Jun 2013
              • Point Loma
              • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
              Maybe SD deserves shitty coaches since people are so forgiving with all these excuses.
              I don't like excuses either....unless they're valid. Bottom line is that the team didn't quit on him....that much is true.

Comment

• CTrout
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Or we become the Redskins, Raiders or Browns and start replacing coach's every 2-3 years. Clearly, if your team isn't 12-4 and in the playoffs it's because your coach sucks. Replace him and all is well.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

So, what was the goal of this organization? Maximizing on their situation/business, or winning games. In the Charger's case, they haven't done a good job at either this season. Maybe getting blown out in the losses might have helped in making the decision for J. Spanos, but this coach and front office will take the safe route of retaining McCoy for the next season (which is fine as they contracted him for next season... their fault.)

I would love to hear from the HC, GM or President of Football Ops that the results were unacceptable and that they will fix it and hold themselves accountable (and resign if they fail) than the pablum that they are proud of their effort in the face of the injuries.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                    Bottom line is that the team didn't quit on him....that much is true.
                    the team only looked like it gave a shit the last game because the defense for more than a half was the only part of the team that played like the game mattered. that much is true. Defense isn't McCoy's specialty. that much is true. the only reason the offense even remotely functions is because Rivers can make plays even when surrounded by shit. And Rivers is one of the reasons for "the team only plays well when its back is against the wall" aka most of the second half of games for McCoy and during the norv years. The team didnt quit on Norv either, other than Rivers turning the ball over more in 2012.

simple question, would you call this team where the coaches are coaching their asses off, or would you call this team a team that Rivers is singlehandedly trying to carry?

Comment

• Maverick
                      (Coryellian)
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Point Loma
                      • Send PM

simple question, would you call this team where the coaches are coaching their asses off, or would you call this team a team that Rivers is singlehandedly trying to carry?
                      Obviously, the latter....but who would you suggest we go after, short of Payton? I'm not beating the drum for McCoy as much as I am advocating not starting from scratch again. Rivers doesn't need that (a brand new system to learn) right now. He's not exactly a spring chicken anymore, & he's the best chance we have for a SB over the next 3 years.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                        Obviously, the latter....but who would you suggest we go after, short of Payton? I'm not beating the drum for McCoy as much as I am advocating not starting from scratch again. Rivers doesn't need that (a brand new system to learn) right now. He's not exactly a spring chicken anymore, & he's the best chance we have for a SB over the next 3 years.
                        Cue Jim Mora...

"Super Bowl? SUPER Bowl?? I mean, SUPER BOWL!!?? I'm just hoping we win another game!" LOL!

Sorry, my friend. This team - this LA team - is about as close to a Super Bowl victory as the Titans or Browns. Perhaps not even that close.

Comment

Working...
                        X