• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    Cue Jim Mora...

"Super Bowl? SUPER Bowl?? I mean, SUPER BOWL!!?? I'm just hoping we win another game!" LOL!

Sorry, my friend. This team - this LA team - is about as close to a Super Bowl victory as the Titans or Browns. Perhaps not even that close.
    You read my mind!

Comment

• Wheels
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • San Diego
      • Send PM

I see McCoy staying, but not because of any virtues. I think it's just a matter of convenience and practicality. He's under contract one more year, and the team is basically persona non grata for the next few years after alienating SD and not having their LA stadium ready to occupy.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
        I see McCoy staying, but not because of any virtues. I think it's just a matter of convenience and practicality. He's under contract one more year, and the team is basically persona non grata for the next few years after alienating SD and not having their LA stadium ready to occupy.
        Yup. The Chargers are like the Raiders a few years ago, when everyone was asking: "Who the hell would want to coach THAT team??!!". McCoy is dutiful enough to at least LOOK like he's taking the job seriously.

Comment

• RollingThunder
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

double post
          Last edited by RollingThunder; 01-04-2016, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• RollingThunder
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I'm ok with McCoy staying one more year even though I think he's not firm enough in cutting loose with those that don't perform. Case and point number one being Frank Reich. I think many really underestimate the overall negative effect Reich has had on this team. He is one of the worst play callers I have ever seen coach. His propensity to destroy any rhythm we gain on offense is uncanny.

I'd be thrilled if we brought in Wiz again to run the offense. I think he and Rivers really gelled and he had the right offensive approach.

If you think about the last time we had decent offensive line play, it was when he was calling the plays and with pretty much the same garbage that we have now.
            Last edited by RollingThunder; 01-04-2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
              Obviously, the latter....but who would you suggest we go after, short of Payton? I'm not beating the drum for McCoy as much as I am advocating not starting from scratch again. Rivers doesn't need that (a brand new system to learn) right now. He's not exactly a spring chicken anymore, & he's the best chance we have for a SB over the next 3 years.
              dude, take off the Rivers blinders- THE TEAM is not succeeding- who cares what Rivers needs to be comfortable? Rivers is clearly NOT our best chance to get to the Super Bowl! This TEAM needs a rebuild from top to bottom. Look at the results of putting everything on Rivers shoulders since NOrv's 3rd season and we are not getting better! The opposite is true. The top franchises don't just sit there and hope things get better with a little roster tinkering and a "franchise QB" every year. Denver blew out Fox who had a better record and more success and the best QB of our era. Kubiak and Manning had some growing pains, but are now the #1 seed in the playoffs. We need a new HC who can overcome obstacles including massive injuries and still find a way to win (or not lose games at least like MM) AND we need a consistently mauling defense and a running game. As long as they keep catering to Rivers' wishes we are going nowhere and will keep wasting the careers of the few superior talents we bring in like Allen and Gordon.

Most of us had high hopes for MM and the youth movement, but it hasn't worked in 3 years and 1 more year won't be any different with these coaches.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Whatever... opinion on whether or not he stays depends on Jan 12-13 meeting. I'm leaning towards hoping John Spanos gains more power in the organization.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Maverick
                  (Coryellian)
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Point Loma
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  dude, take off the Rivers blinders- THE TEAM is not succeeding- who cares what Rivers needs to be comfortable? Rivers is clearly NOT our best chance to get to the Super Bowl! This TEAM needs a rebuild from top to bottom. Look at the results of putting everything on Rivers shoulders since NOrv's 3rd season and we are not getting better! The opposite is true. The top franchises don't just sit there and hope things get better with a little roster tinkering and a "franchise QB" every year. Denver blew out Fox who had a better record and more success and the best QB of our era. Kubiak and Manning had some growing pains, but are now the #1 seed in the playoffs. We need a new HC who can overcome obstacles including massive injuries and still find a way to win (or not lose games at least like MM) AND we need a consistently mauling defense and a running game. As long as they keep catering to Rivers' wishes we are going nowhere and will keep wasting the careers of the few superior talents we bring in like Allen and Gordon.

Most of us had high hopes for MM and the youth movement, but it hasn't worked in 3 years and 1 more year won't be any different with these coaches.
                  I'll take off the blinders if you lay off the crack....

Agree to disagree.

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                    Yup. The Chargers are like the Raiders a few years ago, when everyone was asking: "Who the hell would want to coach THAT team??!!". McCoy is dutiful enough to at least LOOK like he's taking the job seriously.
                    Probably 5 years if they draft well. Considering TT will be here for another 3 years that looks to move us 8 years out.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

We already know McCoy's ceiling is 8 to 9 wins. Regardless of injuries, regardless of who the OC is.

What's the point of keeping him again?
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Continuapathy
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

• homeless simpson
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                          What's the point of keeping him again?
                          better the shitty HC the spanoses know, than the likelihood of the shitty replacement the spanoses might choose

Comment

Working...
                          X