• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RollingThunder
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by FiftyFive View Post
    I remember entire halves of games going by on numerous occasions with Rivers barely throwing the ball for no apparent reason. I also remember piss-poor red zone playcalling that cost us a couple games. Plus Whiz would often lapse into predictable run/run/pass/punt garbage just like Reich. It wasn't just the Denver game, it was the whole season. Rivers masked a lot of Whiz's incompetence at the time.
    I guess you don't remember how much Rivers sucked the two seasons before Whiz got here. He was definitely on his way down.

Also, just because you call running plays, doesn't mean they are designed the same way with the same blocking schemes and commitment to the run.

Reich's run calls were as vanilla as it gets and he never showed a real commitment to the run. In fact, whenever we would start to get on a roll or even gain some momentum with the run he would inexplicably go away from it and kill any rhythm.

Again, he was the worse playcaller I have ever seen in the pros. His commitment to the rhythm of the offense was the exact opposite of what Whiz preached. Whiz made offensive rhythm and tempo core to his offense and preached it all the time and the players recanted it in interviews which showed Whiz was ingraining his philosophy and system. Once Reich came in, all that went away including the players even mentioning it. It was obvious that there was no real commitment to tempo and rhythm by Reich.
    Last edited by RollingThunder; 01-06-2016, 02:35 AM.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Or maybe Reich's non-commitment to the running game was because it sucked and he didn't like getting stuck in a lot of 3rd and long situations which is what kept happening when we tried to run.

Comment

• RollingThunder
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Or maybe Reich's non-commitment to the running game was because it sucked and he didn't like getting stuck in a lot of 3rd and long situations which is what kept happening when we tried to run.
        Yeah offensive philosophy, coaching and blocking schemes have nothing to do with it. It's all about handing the ball off and saying "run forest run".

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
          Yeah offensive philosophy, coaching and blocking schemes have nothing to do with it. It's all about handing the ball off and saying "run forest run".
          I remember in preseason when both McCoy and Reich talked about improving the running game and they both mentioned getting Rivers under center more. A couple times during TV broadcasts commentators mentioned it was very hard for RBs to run when taking handoffs from Rivers out of the shotgun because it removed 1/2 the field for cutbacks and also blocked their vision to see holes opening up. Seems pretty clear to me if we want a real running game that works, we need to stop the shotgun hand off crap and use traditional formations- AND start practicing some bread and butter plays early on in OTAs and camps and never stop practicing them. Guys should be able to execute a couple simple run plays to move the chains in their sleep if they practiced enough. Stop all the OL moving around BS while we're at it with the next OC & OL coach. Versatility is nice for in-game emergencies, unless you never get any of your players to actually learn 1 main position well. The OL switching became a priority and self-fulfilling prophecy more than a fall back in extreme cases.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• floydefisher
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • siberiacuse, ny
            • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
            That same team fired him?
            Kinda hard to win games when your starting QB gets knocked all the way into a job with the NFL network, now isn't it?
            sigpic

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Reich out
              Reich out

I'll be there.

Comment

• Wheels
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                I remember in preseason when both McCoy and Reich talked about improving the running game and they both mentioned getting Rivers under center more. A couple times during TV broadcasts commentators mentioned it was very hard for RBs to run when taking handoffs from Rivers out of the shotgun because it removed 1/2 the field for cutbacks and also blocked their vision to see holes opening up. Seems pretty clear to me if we want a real running game that works, we need to stop the shotgun hand off crap and use traditional formations- AND start practicing some bread and butter plays early on in OTAs and camps and never stop practicing them. Guys should be able to execute a couple simple run plays to move the chains in their sleep if they practiced enough. Stop all the OL moving around BS while we're at it with the next OC & OL coach. Versatility is nice for in-game emergencies, unless you never get any of your players to actually learn 1 main position well. The OL switching became a priority and self-fulfilling prophecy more than a fall back in extreme cases.
                We really did/do need our own version of the packer sweep.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                  We really did/do need our own version of the packer sweep.
                  So does Green Bay.
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post
                    Maybe I'm ignorant, but the running game has always seemed far less complicated than the passing game. Running the ball is mostly about having good blockers and a decent back. You don't have to be Don Coryell to figure that out.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Reich hired by the Eagles:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 12m12 minutes ago
                      Plan is for Frank Reich to be OC under Pederson. RT @NationOfEagles: @RapSheet as OC or a positional coach?”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Peterson? Who dat? Their new HC?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                          Peterson? Who dat? Their new HC?
                          Pederson, the Chiefs OC, who Reid took with him when Reid got fired from Philly.

Comment

Working...
                          X