Since Joe Lombardi is out...Who Will Be the New OC?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Other than O'Connell, who else was blocked for OC? I am old and forget lotsa stuff.

What is your name?

Where am I?

TG

PS always have liked your avatar. One of your kids?
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think Staley has been mostly good at the in game management stuff. He knows when to call timeouts etc. And is still lights year better than our previous HCs in that manner. He’s also less conservative than them. I love that he’s the first HC to push for a sports science department for this team. Hopefully we can add some more improvements to it to help mitigate injuries next season.

His main weaknesses seem to be adapting his gameplan when opponents figure it out. Though a big reason for the collapse in the second half was losing Michael Davis. He also needs to drill down the fundamentals more especially the tackling part. I hate that he listens to the players when they’re injured and want to keep playing. Herbert comes to mind. But most of all, he needs to back to his aggressive 4th down calling in 2021. Especially against someone like Mahomes.

If he can do a better job with all of the above, I can see us doing better next season. But we’ll see. I wanted a clean break after what happened. But since we didn’t get that, all I can do is hope we get the offense back on track again and hope that the defense will be more like the four game winning streak than what happened against the Jags.
      Good takes. I agree. The biggest thing does seem to be adjusting gameplans during the game when the other teams adjust.

We have him for next year, best we can hope is that he keeps growing.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I remember when we hired a defense coach just to sit in the booth and make defensive adjustments for the second halves of games. Made a huge difference.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
          Mike Tomlin went from DB coach to one year DC to HC. People forget.

Oh and he went to William and Mary, the football powerhouse

TG
          Sean McDermott was also on that William and Mary team with Tomlin

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            Other than O'Connell, who else was blocked for OC? I am old and forget lotsa stuff.

What is your name?

Where am I?

TG

PS always have liked your avatar. One of your kids?
            No, it’s just a funny profile pic I had since 2004. My actual kid is much cuter though lol.

Anyways, according to Popper, Staley also got blocked from interviewing Mike McDaniel and Hackett.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
              Brown - Steckel - Robinson are my top 3 so far, with no clear favorite.

Brown is probably the "safest", take that for what you will. (least likely to crash and burn, I guess)
              Brown is the safest and best choice IMO. Looking at Robinson who everyone seems to guess as our new OC, I just don’t see the bigger upside. I think people put too much on emphasis on being a QB coach and passing coordinator.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                I remember when we hired a defense coach just to sit in the booth and make defensive adjustments for the second halves of games. Made a huge difference.
                I thought that’s what Hill did. Sit in the booth and relay things down to Staley.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Brown is the safest and best choice IMO. Looking at Robinson who everyone seems to guess as our new OC, I just don’t see the bigger upside. I think people put too much on emphasis on being a QB coach and passing coordinator.
                    It also needs to be said -- all things equal - there is a built in advantage that hiring Brown gives the team over say Robinson or even Pitcher

The 49ers have used this to their advantage. And once Ryans picks the Texans (or Donkeys) - they will get three third round comp picks over the next two years with the Ran CArthon GM hiring in TN. The Niners could trade those picks for CMC because they already have gotten comp picks for Saleh and McDaniel.

Now, do I think they should just pick Brown for that reason. No. But Brown did interview for the Texans job I believe. And if Brown can take the offense like Ben Johnson did in Carolina - he will get more HC interviews.

Same with Jerrod Johnson - hire him as the QB coach - again if the Vikings allow it and he is qualified. Because if Brown moves on, look who fills his spot (if Staley is still around).

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Imo it would be difficult if not impossible to place, "too much emphasis" on QB/passing game experience/expertise when you're best player happens to be your QB.

Brown is probably the riskiest candidate for me since Herbert would again be left under utilized by an OC that wants to coordinate away from his strength and ultimately our biggest advantage over other teams, Herbert's downfield passing ability.

Sure Brown may fix the run game but how much of that is personnel? What we need to do is upgrade the run game coordinator coach.
                      Our personnel should continue to grow to be a pass first offense (emphasis on pass blocking).

Don't get me wrong, improving the run game is a priority, but not over maximization of Herbert. Herbert will ultimately decide how far we go every season.

Imho.
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It also needs to be said -- all things equal - there is a built in advantage that hiring Brown gives the team over say Robinson or even Pitcher

The 49ers have used this to their advantage. And once Ryans picks the Texans (or Donkeys) - they will get three third round comp picks over the next two years with the Ran CArthon GM hiring in TN. The Niners could trade those picks for CMC because they already have gotten comp picks for Saleh and McDaniel.

Now, do I think they should just pick Brown for that reason. No. But Brown did interview for the Texans job I believe. And if Brown can take the offense like Ben Johnson did in Carolina - he will get more HC interviews.

Same with Jerrod Johnson - hire him as the QB coach - again if the Vikings allow it and he is qualified. Because if Brown moves on, look who fills his spot (if Staley is still around).
                        If Mike McDaniel can pass, I'm sure we can find something on Ancestry.com for one Bobby Slowik...
                        maybe not

Haha
                        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

If Mike McDaniel can pass, I'm sure we can find something on Ancestry.com for one Bobby Slowik...
                          maybe not

Haha
                          Truth

and let me reiterate - I want the best candidate. Ben Johnson what he did for the Lions; Evero (I get he is black) but what he did for the Broncos
                          so thats the most important thing
                          but all things equal - there is a benefit that the Chiefs have used; the Niners

Comment

Working...
                          X