• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rensoul
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I agree on both accounts. There are a number of WR's, 3rd round and later, that have good speed (4.45 or faster).

I was one of the first posters to point out the Chargers' cap problems (around Week 2 or 3). I've also been researching possible cuts/restructures/extensions way before most even recognized the cap problem. It can be done. If you look at how contracts are structured, it's obvious that Bosa, Mack, Keenan, and Mike were signed to be on the 2023 roster. Add in the fact that the "All-In" trades and signings were made with these contracts in mind.

Feiler is gone. The drafting of Salyer (along with Feiler's contract structure) is pretty obvious sign.
    The one plan that has changed is the Vato/JCJ plan. IMO, they planned on replacing Vato with JCJ. Davis didn't even get a start until several games into the season. Davis' contract is structured in a way that I believe he was getting cut this off-season. That all changed by Week 6. JCJ sustained an injury that very few recover from... and none come back to pre-injury form. And Vato began to ball-out. Davis is a guy that could/should be extended. He's still young... and an extension would save cap space for 2023.

I've explained how all of this can happen. I just think people don't read through my posts... because they're stuck in "Must Cut or Trade" mode.
    They don't want to know how it can be done. They've already made their minds up.
    Yea, I could see them figuring something out with Davis because who knows how JCJ will look after he's done with rehab.
    It's a tough situation that they are in because even if they restructure Davis and cut Feiler they probably still won't clear enough cap because Davis's salary isn't that relatively high for 2023 to begin with. They would probably need to restructure more people or cut/trade someone to have enough for draft picks/leeway room for in season signings.

Then they have to figure out if they are going to let Fox, Van Noy, Callahan, Pipkins, and Tranquill walk or stay. If they decide to keep Pipkins or Tranquill they won't get top tier money but won't be cheap either.

Will be interesting to see how they juggle things to make it work.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I agree on both accounts. There are a number of WR's, 3rd round and later, that have good speed (4.45 or faster).

I was one of the first posters to point out the Chargers' cap problems (around Week 2 or 3). I've also been researching possible cuts/restructures/extensions way before most even recognized the cap problem. It can be done. If you look at how contracts are structured, it's obvious that Bosa, Mack, Keenan, and Mike were signed to be on the 2023 roster. Add in the fact that the "All-In" trades and signings were made with these contracts in mind.

Feiler is gone. The drafting of Salyer (along with Feiler's contract structure) is pretty obvious sign.
      The one plan that has changed is the Vato/JCJ plan. IMO, they planned on replacing Vato with JCJ. Davis didn't even get a start until several games into the season. Davis' contract is structured in a way that I believe he was getting cut this off-season. That all changed by Week 6. JCJ sustained an injury that very few recover from... and none come back to pre-injury form. And Vato began to ball-out. Davis is a guy that could/should be extended. He's still young... and an extension would save cap space for 2023.

I've explained how all of this can happen. I just think people don't read through my posts... because they're stuck in "Must Cut or Trade" mode.
      They don't want to know how it can be done. They've already made their minds up.
      So since you have looked at the numbers - how much cap are you willing to take from the future based on the current salary cap for next year and Herbert is coming due next year? And are you taking from both Allen and Mack this year to release next year

Me personally --around $20m based on how I look at the numbers but I am not taking from Allen or Mack this year if I am planning on releasing next year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

And too add that speed isn't everything, today I'm watching the XFL.
        Kalen Ballage who some wanted us to keep for his size and he has speed, is playing in the XFL.
        Imo for his size, he had little power and lacked quickness thought he was actually fast.

Paxton Lynch playing today. Got benched last week after the 2nd half lol.
        These owners and over drafting QBs are idiots.
        No kicking XPs in this league. 1,2 or 3 points after a TD, from the 3 , the 5 or 10 yardline.

Comment

• nomad1946
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2017
          • West Yellowstone, Montana
          • Retired
          • Send PM

The easiest way to get under the cap is to release Allen, Mack, and Feiler. Might not be the right thing, but is the easiest.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Jamarr Chase, Cooper Kupp (when he was healthy), Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, AJ Brown, Davante Adams, Christian Kirk, Deebo Samuel, Stephon Diggs. Metcalf in Seattle.

He is not a top 5 receiver.
            I disagree about Christian Kirk, Deebo Samuel, and Stephon Diggs. Keenan Allen is better than these guys.

Comment

• rensoul
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I disagree about Christian Kirk, Deebo Samuel, and Stephon Diggs. Keenan Allen is better than these guys.
              Depends on the type of player a team prefers. All 3 of those guys are way better YAC threats and can threaten all three levels of the field better. Deebo is also a threat rushing from the backfield. KA could be argued as a better route runner and possession WR.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

Depends on the type of player a team prefers. All 3 of those guys are way better YAC threats and can threaten all three levels of the field better. Deebo is also a threat rushing from the backfield. KA could be argued as a better route runner and possession WR.
                Exactly - spot on.

I watched a lot of Bills games this year - once per game - whether the pass was complete or not - Diggs got behind the DB on a bomb. Also as you say, the ability to run with the ball. KIrk has the ability to make plays with the ball

KA13, Slayer has been a heckuva player. But the Chargers offense needs a WR with bigger play ability for the 2023 season.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I don’t think anyone wants to get rid of Slayer based on his play. Cap numbers are not pretty and he’s sitting in a really big stash is all it is.

What is the date they need to get to the cap number for 2023? Is it before the draft, summer camp, Game 1, ?
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                    I don’t think anyone wants to get rid of Slayer based on his play. Cap numbers are not pretty and he’s sitting in a really big stash is all it is.

What is the date they need to get to the cap number for 2023? Is it before the draft, summer camp, Game 1, ?
                    Not sure but I think it's before the new league year which I believe is March 15th?

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Some seem to be using the money as an excuse to FG at his play, which is whack.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post
                        The easiest way to get under the cap is to release Allen, Mack, and Feiler. Might not be the right thing, but is the easiest.
                        I guess we'll have to wait another year or two on JC Jackson...we have an out on his deal after 2024...$82 mil for not much production...ouch...

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

There's starting to be whispers that once the Chargers get under the cap that Dalton Schultz could be signed by the Chargers! If so we probably won't be drafting one of the top TE's in this draft..

Comment

Working...
                          X