• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

When I say, "I'd rather get young 4-year contracts... in preparation for Herbert's contract."... what I'm really talking about are draft picks.
    I think we could be awarded draft picks for the FA's we will lose this off-season.
    I don't disagree - thanks for clarifying

So if the Chargers say lose Pip and Tranq to free agency or Pip and Fox -- maybe that is where he does play the game a bit, sign a player released (if the talent is comparable) and pick up those comp picks for 2024 when HErbert will really kick in

The Ravens and Rams have been good about doing this. Plus with the Chargers cap - I don't see them big players in the free agency game anyway. Bobby Wagner say on a one year deal if Tranq walks - get the pick in 2024.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

So if the Chargers say lose Pip and Tranq to free agency or Pip and Fox -- maybe that is where he does play the game a bit, sign a player released (if the talent is comparable) and pick up those comp picks for 2024 when HErbert will really kick in

The Ravens and Rams have been good about doing this. Plus with the Chargers cap - I don't see them big players in the free agency game anyway. Bobby Wagner say on a one year deal if Tranq walks - get the pick in 2024.
      Last year we spent money on K. Mack, JC Jackson, and others. If the team doesn't get anything out of JC Jackson, then would the money invested in him be wasted money?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Last year we spent money on K. Mack, JC Jackson, and others. If the team doesn't get anything out of JC Jackson, then would the money invested in him be wasted money?
        If they don't win - the moves will be for naught.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

We only would get draft picks if the total number of FAs we lose exceeds those we gain. In other words the net loss. So lets say we lose Pip and Tranq but gain two more FAs in the same salary range we would not get any draft picks. There are some caveats. If we would lose Herbert because he signed a big contract elsewhere and gained a FA at minimum wage then we would get a draft pick. There is some formula the NFL uses to hand out draft picks in such a case.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

We only would get draft picks if the total number of FAs we lose exceeds those we gain. In other words the net loss. So lets say we lose Pip and Tranq but gain two more FAs in the same salary range we would not get any draft picks. There are some caveats. If we would lose Herbert because he signed a big contract elsewhere and gained a FA at minimum wage then we would get a draft pick. There is some formula the NFL uses to hand out draft picks in such a case.
            Exactly. its not automatic that if Pipkins or Fox leave - the Chargers get comp picks
            they also need to be signed for a certain amount of money
            Point being - if some team like the Bears really up the ante for Pipkins and either Fox or Tranquil; Telesco has to leery of who else he signs to replace

I remember the year he signed Chris Harris - I was pushing for Trufant because he was released and the Chargers would have got a comp pick. But Telesco signed Chris Harris and they lost a comp pick
            Now a team like the Rams or Ravens - a higher probability they would have signed a released player to not count in the comp game.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

NFL teams take out insurance that pays the player when he cannot play. So technically the money comes from the insurance company. But his salary still counts towards the cap.
              So it is wasted in terms of the cap and on field, even though the Chargers org doesn't lose money.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

NFL teams take out insurance that pays the player when he cannot play. So technically the money comes from the insurance company. But his salary still counts towards the cap.
                So it is wasted in terms of the cap and on field, even though the Chargers org doesn't lose money.
                I had never read that they had insurance like that. Imagine what the premiums must be on that!
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  I had never read that they had insurance like that. Imagine what the premiums must be on that!
                  I imagine sky high, price of doing business in the NFL.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I think the cap will be too tight to bring back Pipkins ($7-8 mil), Tranquill ($6-7 mil), Fox ($5-6 mil), Callahan ($5-6 mil) or Adderly ($5-6 mil).
                    If we lose all of them to free agency, and only sign cheap FA's, then I think we could get 4th, 5th, and 6th comp picks.
                    That could yield 10 total draft picks for next year's draft (2024).

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

He can play the game but those guys have to sign a contract that would qualify to be high enough to get a comp pick.
                      Just because we lose FAs and don't sign any doesn't automatically mean we will get any.

For example, we signed Callahan and KVN to basically vet minimum deals. I doubt their former teams will get anything for that.
                      Comp picks are predominantly based on how much the FAs signed for. Seems to be mostly by money.

Only 36 comp picks will be awarded for losing FAs and a few more to teams for losing black coordinators, etc.
                      So if Tranq signs somewhere for 3 years, 13 mil, that may get is something ....a late rounder but if Fox gets 1 year 2.5 mil, that may not get us anything.

Depends if there are 36 higher values.

I think only Pip and Tranq may get us something if we don't sign any free agents.
                      Oh, forgot about Adderley. He may also.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I think the cap will be too tight to bring back Pipkins ($7-8 mil), Tranquill ($6-7 mil), Fox ($5-6 mil), Callahan ($5-6 mil) or Adderly ($5-6 mil).
                        If we lose all of them to free agency, and only sign cheap FA's, then I think we could get 4th, 5th, and 6th comp picks.
                        That could yield 10 total draft picks for next year's draft (2024).
                        Why hoping for 4th, 5th and 6th comp picks ?
                        The Chargers FO don't know how to use them.

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think only Pip and Tranq may get us something if we don't sign any free agents.
                          Oh, forgot about Adderley. He may also.
                          think we get a 4th, 6th & 7th from those three, and.... think/hope we resign Van Noy, Callahan and Fox.
                          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X