• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SAY OW 55
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2023
    • Send PM

I’m going to pick up Carson Wentz for backup Quarterback. Not a position of need. But would be an upgrade at Backup Quarterback.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

TV money alone accounts for over $300M/per team per year for the next 10 years. It's the team's management that needs to allocate the funds properly. The money is there.
      I'm not sure but gzubeck might be referring to the league rule that requires owners to put all guaranteed monies into an escrow account…if herbert signs for 250 over 5 years fully guaranteed like in my scenario, dean cuts him a 45 million dollar check but then has to put the rest of it (all 205million) into an escrow account for herbert. There is no way around it…it’s the NFLs way of making sure that owners have the liquid assets to fulfill their obligations to the players…with all the issues we’ve heard that Spanos has been borrowing from one bank to pay the other it could be an issue, we’ll see…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

TT has a love of potential especially with his late round picks. He needs to lose that, draft high floor/low ceiling types and can step up and play if need be. Cuz you know those guys sometimes develop too.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          TT has a love of potential especially with his late round picks. He needs to lose that, draft high floor/low ceiling types and can step up and play if need be. Cuz you know those guys sometimes develop too.
          Actually, he's been doing better in rounds 5-7. It's the 3rd-4th rounds where he's been whiffing badly.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I'm not sure but gzubeck might be referring to the league rule that requires owners to put all guaranteed monies into an escrow account…if herbert signs for 250 over 5 years fully guaranteed like in my scenario, dean cuts him a 45 million dollar check but then has to put the rest of it (all 205million) into an escrow account for herbert. There is no way around it…it’s the NFLs way of making sure that owners have the liquid assets to fulfill their obligations to the players…with all the issues we’ve heard that Spanos has been borrowing from one bank to pay the other it could be an issue, we’ll see…
            I doubt it will be $250M fully guaranteed. But it could be $150M. Most likely about $50M up front leaving $100M. I don't think the rule of putting money into escrow is going to stop a 6 year $150M deal from happening. But $250M for a single player is probably a problem.

Total revenues for NFL teams is over $500M/yr on average. Dallas' revenues are expected to be over $1B. You can subtract $400M in various expenses
            and that still leaves a boat load of cash.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

So since you have looked at the numbers - how much cap are you willing to take from the future based on the current salary cap for next year and Herbert is coming due next year? And are you taking from both Allen and Mack this year to release next year

Me personally --around $20m based on how I look at the numbers but I am not taking from Allen or Mack this year if I am planning on releasing next year.
              I would re-structure Joey and Mike Williams (both are younger and have more guaranteed money for 2024).
              I would cut Keenan and Mack at the end of 2023 (both of their contracts are structured with small dead cap hits in 2024). Cutting both after 2023 frees up $46 million in 2024. Money that can be used to re-sign Herbert (and a number of others).

Keenan's dead cap is "only" $2.7 million against the 2024 cap. And Mack's dead cap is "only" $4.5 million against the 2024 cap.

Even after re-structuring Bosa and Williams... there is $34 million in cap space for 2024. Cutting Keenan and Mack gives you another $46 million. That's $80 million of cap space for 2024.

Other things to do:
              Cut Hopkins and Feiler (since you already have their replacements in Salyer and Dicker).
              Re-sign: ERFA Dicker, JK Scott (have to have a punter)
              And your roster is up to 53.

Cap space:
              2023 = $7.8 million
              2024 = $39.9 million (with an additional $46 million available when you cut KA and KM)

The 7 draft picks will inevitably take the spots of the bottom 7 on the existing 53-man roster. I think Cmplxgal said this would cost about $3.5 million. That brings 2023's cap down to $4.3 million. TT probably wants a little more room than that. But an extension to Vato (and his $9.4 cap hit) could easily take care of that. If you extend Vato, it probably saves you $4 million on 2023's cap... but costs you $6 million on 2024's cap.

All said and done... $8.3 million space in 2023 (after draft class is signed), 53 on the roster. $79 million in cap space in 2024... without KA and Mack (but extended Vato) would bring the roster up to 33 after draft class. You could re-sign Herbert ($30 million in 2024)... roster up to 34 and still have $49 million left on your 2024 cap.

The other thing you have to consider when letting Pipkins, Callahan, Tranquill, and Fox walk away via FA... is you're going to get comp picks for those departures.

Comment

• Berserker76
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Exactly this. We don't need more "projects". Pip finally turned out good but now we can't afford him.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Are we in the running for Jalen Ramsey?

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Yep...and remember, TT not only likes projects in the late rounds, but ANY round for that matter...agree...tired of projects like Pip who take YEARS to develop, then by the time they finally get coached up, they're FA's...or projects like Tuerk, Reed or Mager who NEVER DID develop...ugh...

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
                      Are we in the running for Jalen Ramsey?
                      We need to REDUCE our cap load...not ADD to it...

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

re: Keenan.... don't think there's a receiver in this draft that can hold a candle to him, and.... not sure there is a Pro Bowl receiver in the bunch ??

will volunteer that eye suspect Keenan still has not one, not two, but three Pro Bowls in him and yet to come....

also did some cursory research on WR longevity, and there are a coupla few name wideouts that fell off before 35, but the most of 'em did just fine 'til then, and a fair bit of 'em actually had some of their best years in their early 30s.... moving on from Keenan would be a really poor football decision.
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Exactly this. We don't need more "projects". Pip finally turned out good but now we can't afford him.
                          Complete head scratcher for me here. Why even let him walk if you can sign him for 3 years with $16 mil guaranteed. The only way you let him walk is if he wants $10 mil per year with $30 mil guaranteed.
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X