• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    With a little luck, Foster Sarell is working with Duke Merriweather this offseason. He’s got skills, he just needs more technique. Pipkins and Salyer too.
    Interesting. Is this the first positive/hopeful post about Sarell lol?

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Interesting. Is this the first positive/hopeful post about Sarell lol?
      A fan can hope. He was a 5 star out of high school so he does have some natural talent.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

A fan can hope. He was a 5 star out of high school so he does have some natural talent.
        And a UDFA. That’s my kinda “potential” lol.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

I don't think the cap situation is that big of a deal. If you look at 2024, they are like 50mil of space. 2025 like 180mil of space and 2026 like 240mil of space because only 2 players on roster have a contract that far into future. The issue just appears to be what they do for 2023 to make it work. The point is that they have enormous amounts of cap space in future years that give them plenty of options in how they work through the 2023 cap. Now a good chuck of those future years allocation should be set aside for the 12year/500mil contract that Herbert needs to get. And they are in great shape to offer something like that. And under Staley they seem to understand that building a great OL is the way to go.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
            I don't think the cap situation is that big of a deal. If you look at 2024, they are like 50mil of space. 2025 like 180mil of space and 2026 like 240mil of space because only 2 players on roster have a contract that far into future. The issue just appears to be what they do for 2023 to make it work. The point is that they have enormous amounts of cap space in future years that give them plenty of options in how they work through the 2023 cap. Now a good chuck of those future years allocation should be set aside for the 12year/500mil contract that Herbert needs to get. And they are in great shape to offer something like that. And under Staley they seem to understand that building a great OL is the way to go.
            2024 only had 28 players
            so doesn't include two draft classes
            signing herbert
            and any dollars being pushed to the future

I get what you are saying about but its not that great either in 2024 and I am not sure playing this game eyarly is wise

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

I think Adderly, Callahan, Fox, Van Noy can have their roles filled with a combo of in house youngsters, to picks as late as the mid rounds...

I think Pip and Tranquil, if not resigned, gotta be replaced with early picks...even if its Salyer to RT, gotta be a day 2 Guard then, at worst...

So to me, bringing back Pip and Drew may tighten things financially, but leaves us more flexible in who we can select early.

The rest of them, and I really like what many of them gave us on the field last year...they will have to wait til post draft, sad to say...its just the business side of football...hopefully they like LA enough to be patient...except for Adderley. He will want money he isnt worth...at least to us...

Anyway, if I was GM, thats how I would play it...along with adios and thank you to Fieler...and if I get that TE, same for Everett...though Im not sure how the timing of his release will dictate cap savings, whether it would have to be prior to draft or not.

Thats my "roster build" 2 cents...

By the way...would the savings be any different on Everett, if we traded him for a late pick? 5th or 6th, maybe?
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

2024 only had 28 players
                so doesn't include two draft classes
                signing herbert
                and any dollars being pushed to the future

I get what you are saying about but its not that great either in 2024 and I am not sure playing this game eyarly is wise
                They have outs on players as well. If they chose to keep Bosa for next 2 years. Then they can try to trade him in 2025 or cut him with zero dead and save 25mil. So couldnt they play that game with that Bosa 25mil out knowing they have space to work with.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

They have outs on players as well. If they chose to keep Bosa for next 2 years. Then they can try to trade him in 2025 or cut him with zero dead and save 25mil. So couldnt they play that game with that Bosa 25mil out knowing they have space to work with.
                  They do have outs - but if you are taking from Bosa this year - the cap savings gets less in two years

Same with Mack and Allen - if you push 20m on Mack - what savings will you have nexgt year - very little

If you are trading Bosa - trade him now at 27 and not at 29

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

We are in cap hell thanks to TT. Too much $$ tied to non line of scrimmage guys --- JC, MW, KA, DJ. And now we need to take JH salary from a $10M avg to $50M average. And then their is Joey. Big $$. but questionable ROI. Lot's of work to be done.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

We are in cap hell thanks to TT. Too much $$ tied to non line of scrimmage guys --- JC, MW, KA, DJ. And now we need to take JH salary from a $10M avg to $50M average. And then their is Joey. Big $$. but questionable ROI. Lot's of work to be done.
                      Exactly
                      all comes back to his inability to draft consistently
                      Chargers have total cap - at this moment of 100m for KA, MW, JB and Mack

Mack is a 23m cap hit
                      a secound round pick is 2m

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Chargers media team put out something on twitter

looks like Michael Davis is gettinbg extended
                        His current cap number is 9.4 -

I think he will get a deal that reduces his cap by 3-4m

I am thinking a three year extension
                        12m up front - so divided by 4 years
                        1m salary this year
                        cap hit of $6m

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

After June 1 if they traded JCJ it would be a 12M cap savings from OTC, $5M dead $. That just looked like a not too bad option. I didn't look at the restructure/extension options before but they look like the best for getting under the cap. Restructuring Bosa and Mack gets us $35M savings and UTC. I think that means converting salary to signing bonus.

I think that just means kicking the can down the road for a year as their cap #s are $29M (Bosa) and $27M (Mack) next year now and higher if 2023 salary is added to 2024 signing bonus

Bosa was poor cap value this year, he better stay healthy next year
                          I don’t know who will trade for JCJ and assume his contract ($12M guaranteed this year, $14M/year non-guaranteed the next 3) but if they could find a trade partner, sure - he leaves $5M per year of cap hit for the next 4 years.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X