• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Div wins is a tie breaker.Not a big deal if we're 13- 4. Not that I expect that.
    Right now is way early but I'd guess split with KC, Den, sweep LV. 4-2. div.
    I'm confident that our D will be above avg IF the Moore / Herbert offense clicks. The plan is Herbert. Moore helps him make drives and score TDs.
    The O avg's @ 30 ppg and the opponent has to pass to keep up. Staley's D is built to defend the passing game.
    KC won the SB with #1 offense, #16 (stone avg) defense. I expect we'll be in that area.
    If we don't win our division by at least 4-2 we will not be 13-4. That's the fallacy in your argument. We have not swept Den or LV in many years.
    Last year both were in disarray and were not able to sweep them. The Raiders don't look any better. The Broncos pending the draft may be a
    different story.

I have 0 confidence in our D. The offense has Herbert and a new OC. So there is reason to be more optimistic on that side of the football.
    Staley defense could not stop the run or pass when needed. There's a lot to prove on that side of the ball.

Stats don't mean squat. It's how we play next year that counts.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I'm not dissing him, i'm just not crowning his ass. Staley is our guy, i'm riding into 2023 with confidence, not trepidation. He's twice as experienced as he was a year ago
      His ass already got crowned.

Staley will not be our guy for long if there is no improvement, specifically on defense. He showed no signs of learning from his mistakes from 2021.
      So there's that. I wouldn't say trepidation, some skepticism for sure.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

His ass already got crowned.

Staley will not be our guy for long if there is no improvement, specifically on defense. He showed no signs of learning from his mistakes from 2021.
        So there's that. I wouldn't say trepidation, some skepticism for sure.
        we'll go ahead and disagree on the unknown future.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Posters here are kinda like the Spanos' in a way: A lot seem satisfied with very little. 10-7 and another one-and-done is *not* a successful season, at least not in my book. In fact, one playoff victory is not very successful, either. WINNING a SB would be a successful season. We've become so accustomed to losing and/or underperforming that many have set the bar very low.
          I play this video to you.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I play this video to you.
            I don't watch this video from you.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

For me, I feel he's released most of his baggage (Hint hint...Bad Coordinators)
              Whom HE hired . . . . . .

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Whom HE hired . . . . . .
                Correct. I'm not giving him a pass here...just hoping we get a lot better from here on out!
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Correct. I'm not giving him a pass here...just hoping we get a lot better from here on out!
                  Me too.

I expect the offense (and JH) to be better with Moore at the helm . . . . . . . IMO they're going to have to carry the defense. Herbert MUST avoid down games . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Me too.

I expect the offense (and JH) to be better with Moore at the helm . . . . . . . IMO they're going to have to carry the defense. Herbert MUST avoid down games . . . . .
                    I agree the defense needs to improve, I think it will. But for perspective - here are some 2022 games and Chargers points allowed, because some folks around here seem to misremember 2022 as the year that the Chargers gave up 40 points every single game. in truth we gave up 30+ pts 4 times of 17 in the reg season. still need to get better. Of course maybe we won't be missing our #1 Edge DE/OLB, #1 CB, entire IDL, #2 CB, #1 Safety, etc etc ...

LVR 19
                    DEN 16
                    ATL 17
                    MIA 17
                    TEN 14
                    IND 3
                    LAR 10

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree the defense needs to improve, I think it will. But for perspective - here are some 2022 games and Chargers points allowed, because some folks around here seem to misremember 2022 as the year that the Chargers gave up 40 points every single game. in truth we gave up 30+ pts 4 times of 17 in the reg season. still need to get better. Of course maybe we won't be missing our #1 Edge DE/OLB, #1 CB, entire IDL, #2 CB, #1 Safety, etc etc ...

LVR 19
                      DEN 16
                      ATL 17
                      MIA 17
                      TEN 14
                      IND 3
                      LAR 10
                      You gotta be fair though; LAR / backup QB, Indy / backup QB, Tenn had Tannahill on one leg, Denver's offense was awful last year (how the F*** did we give up 31 points in that last game????), and Atlanta's wasn't much better. The only games on that list we should be happy about how the defense played are LVR and Miami.

Points given up to playoff teams (other than Miami);

KC - 27, 30
                      Jags - 38,31
                      Seahawks - 37
                      SF - 22 (D played well in this one)

Our D needs to be better against the good teams. Our offense will (hopefully) overwhelm the average / bad teams . . . . but don't kid yourself - the D was not good last year.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

You gotta be fair though; LAR / backup QB, Indy / backup QB, Tenn had Tannahill on one leg, Denver's offense was awful last year (how the F*** did we give up 31 points in that last game????), and Atlanta's wasn't much better. The only games on that list we should be happy about how the defense played are LVR and Miami.

Points given up to playoff teams (other than Miami);

KC - 27, 30
                        Jags - 38,31
                        Seahawks - 37
                        SF - 22 (D played well in this one)

Our D needs to be better against the good teams. Our offense will (hopefully) overwhelm the average / bad teams . . . . but don't kid yourself - the D was not good last year.
                        Our D needs to be a lot better. 100%,. It was not good many / too many times, it was good sometimes. I’m just not all the way over to the woe is me worst defense ever camp some seem to be in.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

If we don't win our division by at least 4-2 we will not be 13-4. That's the fallacy in your argument. We have not swept Den or LV in many years.
                          Last year both were in disarray and were not able to sweep them. The Raiders don't look any better. The Broncos pending the draft may be a
                          different story.

I have 0 confidence in our D. The offense has Herbert and a new OC. So there is reason to be more optimistic on that side of the football.
                          Staley defense could not stop the run or pass when needed. There's a lot to prove on that side of the ball.

Stats don't mean squat. It's how we play next year that counts.
                          Meaning it can't be done? Ridiculous.
                          My early guess is sweep LV, split with each KC and Den for 4-2 div.
                          Hopefully Staley's D will get to play more games together this year.
                          Totally agree with last sentence.

Comment

Working...
                          X