• Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

And one of those years is this year.

I would guess betting odds are KA will be released, he is older and has larger cap savings if released. ‘Twas said earlier, Palmer was drafted as his replacement but that damn old billyGOAT just won’t quit climbing hills so he waits and waits some more.

KA is arguably the best receiver in Charger history (since Bambi).
    Absolutely!

A few seasons went south when K.A. was lost to injury.
    He's not the player he once was....but still very effective.

The only drawback is that KA played in an era of average Charger football.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

True, but if Keenan is here 3 more years counting this one and has 90 to 100 receptions each season, he is a potentual HOF'er as he will have over 1000 receptions and around 12,000 yards. If he gets 90 receptions this year he will pas Randy Moss on the receptions list. Many other WRs with a lot less production and already has more receptions and TDs than Calvin Johnson.
      Keenan Allen will never make the Hall of Fame. His receptions and yardage will look nice in the end, but he has just 52 touchdown receptions and has never made first or second team All-Pro. Andre Johnson (four-time All-Pro), Torry Holt (two-time All-Pro), Reggie Wayne (two-time All-Pro), and Steve Smith (four-time All-Pro) are just four receivers more deserving than Keenan will be of making the Hall of Fame when he retires. Those four may never get in. I can probably name 10 or 15 receivers who are more deserving than Keenan will be even if he does what you proposed he might do over the next three seasons.
      Last edited by DerwinBosa; 06-10-2023, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Apparently, it's JT Woods. At least he was a guy that was brought in during Staley's tenure.
        I'm assuming they had a conversation about it... before drafting him with a 3rd round pick.
        I was never very high on Adderly. He wasn't just not "very good"... he was an outright liability at times...
        Interesting what they are thinking with their dbs. On the surface, two positions are lacking a sure fire starter.

They guessed right with Pip last year: he showed very little up to that point in time, they brought in nobody, and Storm really wasn't an acceptable option.
        Remember how they tortured us saying that the battle between Pip and Storm was even.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

I caveated it with “arguable” but you forced me (rightly) to go look up team stats. Turns out its a very strong argument. Like most of these arguments, it’s almost never conclusive. Some will weight YPC, TD, other items. My personal ratings only have two indisputable “best” in Charger history: LT and Gates. But KA’s total REC, Yards. YPG are worthy. Certainly can’t name more than 2 others to even consider contestants.

image.png
          lots of great players on that list but stats only mean something when in same era..... today defenses cannot hang onto or touch or hit receivers..... in the Air Coryell days, Winslow was grabbed, held, jeffferson was closelined..... etc and there were also multiple HOFers on those teams...and those tweams played against steel curtain, dallas doomsday, orange crush, defenses and also the dominating dirty raiders defenses. hard to compare eras with so many different rules.....

bottom line is all of those guys on list are great players and some of them HOFers who played on same team....

One player who deserves consideration as bvest Charger of all time is Seau..... he was strongest, quickest, fastest best player on team when he was on it. they even had him play some TE and he was so great at it he made all the other players on offense look slow so they stopped doing that..... he was so quick off the LOS that he was a few yards upfield and making a cut before our WR'a at that time had even left the LOS..... he literally willed us into our only superbowl appearance with one arm limp at his side..... leading team with 19 tackles in AFC championship game

harder to quantify defenders vs offensive guys who have lots of stats that can be more easily compared.....

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Keenan Allen will never make the Hall of Fame. His receptions and yardage will look nice in the end, but he has just 52 touchdown receptions and has never made first or second team All-Pro. Andre Johnson (four-time All-Pro), Torry Holt (two-time All-Pro), Reggie Wayne (two-time All-Pro), and Steve Smith (four-time All-Pro) are just four receivers more deserving than Keenan will be of making the Hall of Fame when he retires. Those four may never get in. I can probably name 10 or 15 receivers who are more deserving than Keenan will be even if he does what you proposed what he might do over the next three seasons.
            Charlie Joiner says hello.

A Super Bowl win (not likely) and people start singing a different tune.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Charlie Joiner says hello.

A Super Bowl win (not likely) and people start singing a different tune.
              What about him?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

I caveated it with “arguable” but you forced me (rightly) to go look up team stats. Turns out its a very strong argument. Like most of these arguments, it’s almost never conclusive. Some will weight YPC, TD, other items. My personal ratings only have two indisputable “best” in Charger history: LT and Gates. But KA’s total REC, Yards. YPG are worthy. Certainly can’t name more than 2 others to even consider contestants.

image.png
                I can't believe Winslow only had 45 TD's . . . . . . . . . . with that offense and Fouts / Coryell? Very surprising . . . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

lots of great players on that list but stats only mean something when in same era..... today defenses cannot hang onto or touch or hit receivers..... in the Air Coryell days, Winslow was grabbed, held, jeffferson was closelined..... etc and there were also multiple HOFers on those teams...and those tweams played against steel curtain, dallas doomsday, orange crush, defenses and also the dominating dirty raiders defenses. hard to compare eras with so many different rules.....

bottom line is all of those guys on list are great players and some of them HOFers who played on same team....

One player who deserves consideration as bvest Charger of all time is Seau..... he was strongest, quickest, fastest best player on team when he was on it. they even had him play some TE and he was so great at it he made all the other players on offense look slow so they stopped doing that..... he was so quick off the LOS that he was a few yards upfield and making a cut before our WR'a at that time had even left the LOS..... he literally willed us into our only superbowl appearance with one arm limp at his side..... leading team with 19 tackles in AFC championship game

harder to quantify defenders vs offensive guys who have lots of stats that can be more easily compared.....
                  I’ll add Seau to my short undisputed Greatest for the position of ILB. That’s a good call, nobody has been close to him in franchise history. But no need to get all silly and talk about him being a TE, its not necessary and very besides the point. He wasn’t a best TE. They didn’t stop because he made everyone else look slow, thats also silly. No coach ever stopped playing a player because he was too much better than everyone else.

Gibson will forever be remembered as the guy who made “the play” that got us in the SB. (A very ordinary LB otherwise, as we know).

As to Slayer - i, again, said arguably . He’s put up the stats to be in the conversation. Fuck Jefferson, he was a blip in time, barely here. Bambi is our GOAT.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Keenan Allen will never make the Hall of Fame. His receptions and yardage will look nice in the end, but he has just 52 touchdown receptions and has never made first or second team All-Pro. Andre Johnson (four-time All-Pro), Torry Holt (two-time All-Pro), Reggie Wayne (two-time All-Pro), and Steve Smith (four-time All-Pro) are just four receivers more deserving than Keenan will be of making the Hall of Fame when he retires. Those four may never get in. I can probably name 10 or 15 receivers who are more deserving than Keenan will be even if he does what you proposed he might do over the next three seasons.
                    Keenan isn't done yet either and has much better stats including TDs than some that are already in the HOF.
                    So, I'll just disagree.

Never said he was a shoe in, I said he could be with those numbers. If we win a SB that helps as well.

Keenan dwarfs Cliff Brach's stats but he is in. So is Joiner who Keenan already has more receptions.
                    Joiner made All Pro one time and pro bowler just 3 times in 18 seasons.
                    Keenan has made 5 pro bowls.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Keenan isn't done yet either and has much better stats including TDs than some that are already in the HOF.
                      So, I'll just disagree.

Never said he was a shoe in, I said he could be with those numbers. If we win a SB that helps as well.

Keenan dwarfs Cliff Brach's stats but he is in. So is Joiner who Keenan already has more receptions.
                      I think he’s got a shot, but he’s not a shoe in. We’ll see … someday.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

So, I'll just disagree.

Really interesting compilation of facts, there. Joiner was clutch, sure-handed, and lasted a long time. But I honestly believe that Keenan has been a better player for the Bolts than Joiner was, and has put up better numbers. When all is said and done, Keenan will belong in the HoF more than Joiner, irrespective of whether he actually gets voted in.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

image.png
                          Interesting that Mike Williams-- going into his 7th season-- is poised to bypass Malcom Floyd next on the team's all-time reception list.

Williams came into the league as a highly touted guy, while Floyd was a UDFA.

Floyd was a Charger for 11 seasons, but hardly played in his early years and was up and down from the practice squad. Later, he'd miss significant time to injuries. But it's still taken Mike W. this long to catch up.

It's also quirky that UDFA Austin Ekeler has been on the Chargers for *exactly* as long as Mike Williams has, yet Ek has 99 more receptions.

Comment

Working...
                          X