• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

4 position battles on the Chargers and who leads them ahead of preseason finale

Keelan Doss has been consistent for the Chargers this preseason and may have already played his way into a roster spot.

By Michael Peterson@ZoneTracks Aug 24, 2023, 12:01pm PDT
    7 Comments / 7 New Share this story

The Chargers came into the 2023 preseason with several question marks along the roster. Luckily, none of them involved starting positions, but those who serve backup roles — and sometimes even third-stringers with this franchise — usually find themselves at one time or another in a situation where the team needs them to step up. Injuries happen and this team knows that better than most clubs.

Below are four position battles happening right now on the Chargers and who I believe currently leads the fight ahead of Friday night’s preseason finale.

Sixth Wide Receiver

Leader in the clubhouse: Keelan Doss

Jalen Guyton has been out of commission since tearing his ACL against the Jaguars in week three of last season. He only recently returned to rehab with the Chargers this week — as far as any beat reporters have been able to confirm — but could that be too late to save his roster spot from either John Hightower or Keelan Doss?

Hightower had been a training camp darling through the first few weeks as he seemed to be good for a 50-yard touchdown just about every other practice. However, an injury kept him out of the team’s first preseason contest and he returned just in time to catch one pass for 10 yards against the Saints.

Doss, on the other hand, has led the team in receiving yards both weeks of the preseason thus far. He caught three passes against the Rams for 37 yards and another three against the Saints for 42 yards. Add on the fact he’s built like the prototypical Chargers wideout at 6’3 and 215 pounds and it’s tough not to believe he’s in the running to be the team’s final wide receiver kept behind Derius Davis.

Swing Tackle

Leader in the clubhouse: Foster Sarell

The Chargers needed to add depth at the offensive tackle position this offseason after they were forced start sixth-round rookie Jamaree Salyer at left tackle in place of Rashawn Slater. Their tackle depth was tested even further during the three games missed by Trey Pipkins which forced former UDFA Foster Sarell into the starting lineup. During the 2023 NFL draft, the Chargers chose to pass on any bonafide tackle and instead selected Clemson’s Jordan McFadden who — despite playing left tackle for the Tigers — was presumed to go through a transition to guard at the next level. He’s received some reps with the first team at the blindside in camp but has yet to play a snap there during a preseason game.

So as it stands, nothing has changed in the pecking order for the team’s swing tackle. Sarell has been working alongside Slater and Pipkins this offseason in Dallas with Duke Manyweather so you know he’s been with the right people to kickstart his development, but he hasn’t shown much this month against the twos and threes of opposing teams. Here’s to hoping a move is made prior to final cuts.

Third Tight End

Leader in the clubhouse: Tre’ McKitty

Another position the Chargers needed to take a look at in the draft was tight end. As much fun Gerald Everett has been as an athletic starter for the Bolts, he’s not the long-term answer and the Chargers need to find a well-rounded replacement for the future. The problem is, the Chargers decided against throwing even a late-round dart at someone as a developmental prospect. Instead, they signed Michael Ezeike from UCLA who has barely sniffed the field the past two games.

Behind Everett and Donald Parham, I believe there’s been a legit competition for snaps as the team’s third tight end. It doesn’t sound important, but the Chargers have often used multiple tight end sets the past two years and that’s not going to change a whole lot under Kellen Moore. But with that in mind, the two fighting for those snaps have been former third-round pick McKitty and 2021 UDFA Stone Smartt.

Both players have their drawbacks. McKitty was a penalty magnet in 2022 with six flags while playing 45 percent of the offensive snaps on the year. He also was the author of several bad drops. However, he’s got NFL size and the Chargers need better blocking at the position. Thats not to say the best option there is McKitty, but the staff likely believes in him more than Smartt who is currently listed at 226 pounds on the team’s roster.

At the same time, Smartt continues to get more looks on the field this preseason over McKitty as a receiver. He caught four passes during the 2022 regular season and just led the Chargers with four catches against the Saints compared to McKitty’s singular catch this month.

It will be interesting to see what happens with both players during and after this season, but it looks like McKitty will remain in his role as the team’s third tight end for now.

Backup Right Guard

Leader in the clubhouse: Zack Bailey

Early in camp, rumblings came out that 2021 fifth-round pick Brenden Jaimes could be on the chopping block come final cuts after former UDFA Zack Bailey had been drawing rave reviews from the coaching staff. Bailey had mainly played tackle in the NFL but transitioned to guard earlier this offseason. So far through two preseason games, Bailey is the Chargers’ highest-graded offensive player on the team with an 86.2 overall mark. His 84.1 run block grade is tops on the team while his 81.0 pass block grade is second only to Zion Johnson (85.8).

As for Jaimes, he’s played mainly as the team’s third center Will Clapp. In two games, he’s graded out at 64.3. If the writing on the wall wasn’t already there, it’s likely set in permanent ink now that they don’t even have him fighting to beat rookie Jordan McFadden for at least one of the backup spots along the interior.​

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
      Backup Right Guard

Leader in the clubhouse: Zack Bailey

Early in camp, rumblings came out that 2021 fifth-round pick Brenden Jaimes could be on the chopping block come final cuts after former UDFA Zack Bailey had been drawing rave reviews from the coaching staff. Bailey had mainly played tackle in the NFL but transitioned to guard earlier this offseason. So far through two preseason games, Bailey is the Chargers’ highest-graded offensive player on the team with an 86.2 overall mark. His 84.1 run block grade is tops on the team while his 81.0 pass block grade is second only to Zion Johnson (85.8).

As for Jaimes, he’s played mainly as the team’s third center Will Clapp. In two games, he’s graded out at 64.3. If the writing on the wall wasn’t already there, it’s likely set in permanent ink now that they don’t even have him fighting to beat rookie Jordan McFadden for at least one of the backup spots along the interior.​
      Good to see at least one of our backups, Bailey, appears to be paying dividends...looks like it's time to say, ahem, "home, Jaimes"...

Comment

• Rugger05
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

What position is everyone worried about going into the season. For me it was either S or TE, but I feel that Woods has showed pretty good during preseason while no one has really showed me anything from the TE group. So for me it is TE.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
          What position is everyone worried about going into the season. For me it was either S or TE, but I feel that Woods has showed pretty good during preseason while no one has really showed me anything from the TE group. So for me it is TE.
          For me its corner, Taylor /Leonard lacking consistency.

Taylor starts in the slot, no?

I like the rotations at all other defensive positions .... although Tuli / Rumph are not a sure thing.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

I like the backup tight ends currently on the preseason roster better than Mckitty.

Woods seems like another project player, could become someone like Pipkins. Will need to be given a chance and time to prove himself.​

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

For me its corner, Taylor /Leonard lacking consistency.

Taylor starts in the slot, no?

I like the rotations at all other defensive positions .... although Tuli / Rumph are not a sure thing.
            The hope is that JCJ plays and is healthy. If not, then Taylor is going to be the slot corner.

I'm more confident in Tu Tu and Rumph as the backup edges than what the team has at the backup IDL. Matlock is good. Clark has potential to be something the team needs at NT. But after that? It's fuzzy. OO, Otito Ogbonnia, needs to stay healthy and prove himself more. I'm not high on Hinton as others on this board are. Staley carries 5 IDL rather than 6 most of the time. That's another issue. I don't think his defense is as successful with just 5 of them on the active gameday roster. That, and the defensive scheme he (stubbornly) operates is easy to run on. This has been proven by Staley and other Fangio disciples.

Comment

• colorado
              Fan since '62
              • Jun 2023
              • Desert Rat
              • Nothing but time on my hands
              • Send PM

#2 qb. Stick I really don't think he can do it. Granted he doesn't have the play time experience. That's what worries me...

That oline has to protect Herbert

Happiness is being a DOT INNOVATOR

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Jaimes lined up at ORG second team in yesterdays final practice fwiw.

Moving our receivers around at Slot and outside are going to lead to matchups we really like.
                Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• YAC
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2023
                  • Send PM

So for me it is TE.
                  I understand the sentiment!

Not my biggest worry but only because this: Serviceable tight ends are pretty common and I think they can find one from the +1,000 players that are going to get released on Aug 29. Probably over 50 tight ends are going to get cut from across the 32 teams. Find me one that blocks better than McKitty, and let Tre' go.

However, it sure would be nice to have something better than serviceable. Next draft, I guess...

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Just say no to McKitty. Keep Horvath, and Smartt. Blocking + ST solved.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Edge depth . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

1. Blocking TE
                        (space)
                        2. LT depth
                        3. 4th S
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

I don't like the idea of Doss making it over Hightower.
                          it's like we're valuing production in 2 PS games over actual training camp, prisoner of the moment status.
                          Doss is healthy and bigger, so if that's the angle, okay, but the explosive weapon is Hightower and we've come too far now to settle for mediocre. If neither make the 53 that's fine too, I would just be disappointed to see Doss over Hightower.

I'd like to see McFadden play LT tomorrow.
                          2024: Far From Over

Comment

Working...
                          X