• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
    I think before the season there was a lot of optimism about the offensive line being fixed.. and Telesco was a part of that.

Dunlap had been solid. Orlando Franklin was brought in to be LG which was a disaster the year before, so that spot seemed fixed. Fluker moved to his "natural" position at RG.. Barksdale was a solid veteran at RT... the only real ? was Watt, who the staff seemed really high on at Center... so, on paper... everything looked really good. Telesco did a solid job trying to rebuild a line that was horrendous in 2014, its not his fault that Dunlap, Watt, Fluker, Franklin were all on/off the injured list.. with Watt and Dunlap getting IR'd. There was no reason to think that Franklin would regress with us.. which is probably more about coaching or scheme than Telesco.

I'm not saying that he did a great job... but I am saying its not like he ignored a glaring weakness and made no efforts to fix things. He did work, that we all thought would work out.

I hear ya. But what Telesco may have done wrong in 2015 was to compile an o-line full of bigger players without so much athleticism. I read that critique somewhere and perhaps it does apply here. I hope that LT Ronnie Stanley kid from Notre Dame is more athlete than Dunlap (I've read Stanley is an athletic kid). How many concussions has Dunlap suffered the last two seasons? Seems like too many to me. When I thought about it it does make sense. I want a guy that can stay on his feet as a blocker. Because it seems to me if you lose your footing a lot you are more susceptible to concussion (getting kicked in or kneed in the head). Seems like a better athlete can shift around better without losing his footing.

I know we really need a center too. Does anyone have any ideas on a center we can draft in the mid-2nd round (after trade down) or a high 3rd round pick? We don't have a fifth round pick this year and we have holes all over this team.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

G
      I think before the season there was a lot of optimism about the offensive line being fixed.. and Telesco was a part of that.

Dunlap had been solid. Orlando Franklin was brought in to be LG which was a disaster the year before, so that spot seemed fixed. Fluker moved to his "natural" position at RG.. Barksdale was a solid veteran at RT... the only real ? was Watt, who the staff seemed really high on at Center... so, on paper... everything looked really good. Telesco did a solid job trying to rebuild a line that was horrendous in 2014, its not his fault that Dunlap, Watt, Fluker, Franklin were all on/off the injured list.. with Watt and Dunlap getting IR'd. There was no reason to think that Franklin would regress with us.. which is probably more about coaching or scheme than Telesco.

I'm not saying that he did a great job... but I am saying its not like he ignored a glaring weakness and made no efforts to fix things. He did work, that we all thought would work out.
      This....Article seems to say TT did nothing yet to me he really tried a major retool last year. Our line needed at least some time to gel though and they never got it before they started the death march falling like flies. You cant coach your takent that cant suit up and reshuffling the line every week will kill any lines ability to have confidence in the player next to them.

I would agree the gamble was Watt and he seemed to improve some but was out not many games in which caused the whole plan to start unravelling. A vet center would be a good idea. I would rather get a solid guy that can contribute quickly if they dont think Watt is the guy.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I agree with this. I don't recall many here thinking our line would be this bad. As mentioned Watt was a question, but we did bring Robinson back as a backup and some even thought he should be the starter. I also recall people being happy we resigned Flowers. Clearly things went south badly and ultimately everyone gets judged by their record. But a lot of these guys are set up for bounce back seasons so I think we could see a big improvement - IF we can figure out how to stay healthy and that is a big IF.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I thought Orlando Franklin would be a great help to the Spanoses because that's what I read. I knew starting Watt at center was a mistake. I figured Fluker at guard was a huge question mark. Barksdale, from what I read before the season, was a below-average, but durable, starting tackle - kind of what Fluker had been at tackle. I wasn't counting on anybody other than Franklin and Barksdale playing through the season healthy. Dunlap had already had concussion issues. Fluker had always played through the season, but he was obviously affected by injuries when he played; plus he was playing a new position - go ask Clary what happened to his health when he switched inside. Watt's middle name was Injury even before the season started. I figured the Spanoses were, at the least, missing a starting center and reliable backups, and, at worst, a disaster at center and right guard.

So, what I'm saying is I, an ignorant fan typing out of my ass, knew very little, but, still, knew better than Telesco. Telesco is a terrible general manager. I swear, if I got paid big bucks to dedicate my life to building a football team, I could do a better job than he has. And that's not a praise of me; it's just a huge critique of Telesco's work. I'm saying I'd suck, just not as badly as Telesco has.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2016, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

The funny thing about Watt is he was not injury prone in college and started 47 consecutive games for Notre Dame so he did not have the long term injury history like a Buster Davis did.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              The funny thing about Watt is he was not injury prone in college and started 47 consecutive games for Notre Dame so he did not have the long term injury history like a Buster Davis did.
              Watt was injured when the Spanoses got him. I hope he is the starter at center again next season and that there isn't a backup.

Buster Davis, it turned out, was a terrible pick, but at least he wasn't counted on to protect the quarterback.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Watt was injured when the Spanoses got him. I hope he is the starter at center again next season and that there isn't a backup.

Buster Davis, it turned out, was a terrible pick, but at least he wasn't a 3rd-round draft pick counted on to protect the quarterback after starting only 5 games and getting injured.

Comment

• CTrout
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Insinuating the teams lack of depth all stems from TT trading away picks is ridiculous. I'm sure we'd be 13-3 if only those two 4th rounders were here.

I actually think TT has drafted well. Now if he'd focus more of those picks on the OL and DL I'd like them even more.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                    Insinuating the teams lack of depth all stems from TT trading away picks is ridiculous. I'm sure we'd be 13-3 if only those two 4th rounders were here.
                    having those 4th rounders may not yield a better record but at least they would have stocked the team with depth and talent, and this team is lacking in depth and talent.

Heading into his fourth season, AJ had used 4th rd picks on The Other Guy, Sproles, Wilhelm and Scott Chandler. All we have from our 4th rounders we traded away are Meh-o and Gordon heading into Trashcos 4th season.

Comment

• FiftyFive
                      Dean Spanos is a traitor!
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Send PM

Telesco sucks. Bad signings, constantly giving away draft picks like candy and reaching for "smartest guy in the room" picks with the ones he keeps. We are now less talented and less deep than we were under AJ when he finished running off all the talent.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Las Vegas, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
                        How about the dude from San Diego State? Dakota something.
                        Interesting Gordon squared.
                        Dakota blocking for Melvin. At least it would not be a wasted 7th round pick. Has to be an upgrade from David Johnson

Comment

• homeless simpson
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
                          Interesting Gordon squared.
                          Dakota blocking for Melvin. At least it would not be a wasted 7th round pick. Has to be an upgrade from David Johnson
                          McCoy, even when he was in Denver hardly ever uses the FB in his "system" whatever the fuck his system really is.

Comment

Working...
                          X