• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    I wonder if this is what they offered him in the first place and he thought he could get more via a trade and couldn't so he took it.
    no, they offered him more than this, from what I've read the chargers offered to add another 2 years to his current deal, he would have been signed thru 2025 and he would've received about 12 million up front and 14 mil in total guarantees, and it would have dropped his cap hit by almost 4 mill, it was also about a 1.5mil APY bump from 6.2, he would've been making about 7.7 per year over the next three seasons...considering the RB market, he might actually end up regretting not taking that deal...nobody was going to give him CMC money, not even the broncos and they want him bad and I think he wants to play there too...

right now it looks like the chargers will be getting a compensatory pick for Ekeler in 2025, he's as good as gone after 2023...I'm thinking they'll get a comp in the 4-6 round range depending on the size of deal the broncos give him next offseason...

this is a good thing for both parties, for the ekeler it ensures that he'll get around a 27% bump in pay for 2023 if he hits the incentives and I'm certain the incentives were things that both parties feel confident that he can reach...for the chargers, they get peace of mind that he won't pull a Melvin gordon...

I do expect that spiller will be the #2 this year with Kelley and horvath playing STs, rountree will be on the PS this year, I don't think they can justify carrying him on the 53 this season...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

We didnt need a new Ekeler thread. Merged.

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

no, they offered him more than this, from what I've read the chargers offered to add another 2 years to his current deal, he would have been signed thru 2025 and he would've received about 12 million up front and 14 mil in total guarantees, and it would have dropped his cap hit by almost 4 mill, it was also about a 1.5mil APY bump from 6.2, he would've been making about 7.7 per year over the next three seasons...considering the RB market, he might actually end up regretting not taking that deal...nobody was going to give him CMC money, not even the broncos and they want him bad and I think he wants to play there too...

right now it looks like the chargers will be getting a compensatory pick for Ekeler in 2025, he's as good as gone after 2023...I'm thinking they'll get a comp in the 4-6 round range depending on the size of deal the broncos give him next offseason...

this is a good thing for both parties, for the ekeler it ensures that he'll get around a 27% bump in pay for 2023 if he hits the incentives and I'm certain the incentives were things that both parties feel confident that he can reach...for the chargers, they get peace of mind that he won't pull a Melvin gordon...

I do expect that spiller will be the #2 this year with Kelley and horvath playing STs, rountree will be on the PS this year, I don't think they can justify carrying him on the 53 this season...
        makes sense... deal helps both player and team

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Seems like a decent compromise.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

the key point is that he stays with the chargers for 2023 and we don't have work in a new RB. hopefully things work out well and there are more years for Ek in a charger uniform. I think he is a good guy, and he was just looking out for himself on the business side of things. best of luck to Ek in 2023 !!!

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Ekeler is a mercenary, but that is certainly his right especially with how expendable players are in such a violent game. He'll go where he gets the most money, though at another year older I'm not sure he will ever get close to what he thinks he is worth.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Ekeler is a mercenary, but that is certainly his right especially with how expendable players are in such a violent game. He'll go where he gets the most money, though at another year older I'm not sure he will ever get close to what he thinks he is worth.
                he's smart enough to know that this is a profession and a business. if only half of TPB could figure out the same ... more things would make more sense to more of our good brothers (and sisters).
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

The Chargers are-- at least somewhat understandably-- reluctant to give Big Money to a running back, because Ekeler is approaching the era of his career where the large majority of RBs break down.

The Bolts were afraid to extend Darren Sproles for the same reason. Sproles had six more good seasons after that, three with the Saints, and three with the Eagles. He was on the Eagles' roster for another three years after that, but played in only 3, 6, and 6 games in those seasons.

Ekeler has ALWAYS reminded me of Sproles, and I don't doubt that he has at least 3 more good years left. Guess we'll find out what the open market value is for him next offseason.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

The Chargers are-- at least somewhat understandably-- reluctant to give Big Money to a running back, because Ekeler is approaching the era of his career where the large majority of RBs break down.

The Bolts were afraid to extend Darren Sproles for the same reason. Sproles had six more good seasons after that, three with the Saints, and three with the Eagles. He was on the Eagles' roster for another three years after that, but played in only 3, 6, and 6 games in those seasons.

Ekeler has ALWAYS reminded me of Sproles, and I don't doubt that he has at least 3 more good years left. Guess we'll find out what the open market value is for him next offseason.
                    It's not just the Chargers - no team was willing to give up the capital and trade for him and no RBs got big money contracts with new teams. I don't see that trend changing next year though other teams can sign him without compensation next year.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

As Dwight Schrute once said, “Loyalty is my best quality. And I will go to whoever pays me the most for being loyal”

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

It's not just the Chargers - no team was willing to give up the capital and trade for him and no RBs got big money contracts with new teams. I don't see that trend changing next year though other teams can sign him without compensation next year.
                        The “and pay Chargers trade capital” was the kicker that prevented any chance of trade discussions this spring and hence his 2023 strategy failed. worth a shot, he probably feels he didn’t lose anything by trying. He’s got a better chance to get a better dollar deal from 32 teams next year when there is no compensation. Chargers have been fair with him, it is what it is. A business. Who knows, he might like the deal they offer him next year. Nothing is known yet. Its not cast in stone, they have a view of value - tbd if other teams want to pay more.

He is not getting the money his agent told him to look for. He is not a bell cow all purpose power back that can do it inside and outside regardless of defense. Those are the only backs any team will consider for premium dollars, a back that can carry a team. he has been an exceptional 3rd down back but those players don’t get $12M+/year - was that his number?
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                          Seems like a decent compromise.
                          Hope the Bolts don't pull a fast one on these incentives and, for example, refuse to feed him the rock at the end of the season, when he's one TD short of the TD incentives...

Comment

Working...
                          X