• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Ekeler has worn thin for me this off season. I’ve had more than I care to of his “me”. I actually hope he comes up short on incentives, personally. For one, he’ll play harder if the carrot is still out in front of him and not in his bag, and two … well, no offense but fuck him. I’m sick if his ‘tude.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      Ekeler has worn thin for me this off season. I’ve had more than I care to of his “me”. I actually hope he comes up short on incentives, personally. For one, he’ll play harder if the carrot is still out in front of him and not in his bag, and two … well, no offense but fuck him. I’m sick if his ‘tude.
      Very few running backs are worth $12 mil a year in this league and mostly they are only worth it very early in their career. Maybe Ekeler sees himself as a multi-use weapon that transcends the normal RB stereotype. But given that, I do believe him capable of meeting his incentives If he stays healthy. I think an incentivized structure is the way forward in the NFL or many teams will face in season team bankruptcies (Meaning they're so depleted with no money in their coffers) that play quality significantly drops off just like last season for the Chargers. I hope ekeler kills it because it means we're going to the superbowl and Earns his next contract. There is also the possibility that he does well enough and other players on our team fail that are highly paid and there is enough money to keep him on the team next year. I just think he wants RESPECT and paying somebody in the NFL is 50% of that respect.
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Reasonable to assume Ekeler gets fewer touches in 2023, but hopefully gets more out of the touches he does get.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Anyone wondering what happened on the final two minute warning drive against Miami needs to read this, this is the reason I talked at length on this thread about how important Austin ekeler is to this football team and that he's not just another RB...Kelley could play another ten years in the league and still not understand all the subtlety that Ekeler plays with...Spiller is not the answer either, and it remains to be seen if Dotson will have that type of intelligence too...but I doubt it...

...ekeler is KEY part of our passing game, herbert trusts him as much as he does Keenan in critical situations...herbert trusts that he'll catch and convert and also that he'll recognize the play and pick up the blitzes, on the final drive Sunday ekeler was out and kelley failed to pick up a blitz on one play and also ran the wrong route on the other play where Herbert was called for intentional grounding, a frustrated Herbert was signaling on the field to Kelley that he should've flared out and I've never seen herbert do that on the field with one of his teammates before...

...there is a reason that kelley has taken so long to develop and why he is not considered more than a back up...the reason? it's from the neck up and between his ears which ekeler has kelley completely outclassed, one of the things that this forum fails to respect about ekeler's game how often he saves plays by picking up blitzes and recognition/understanding how he's supposed to break off his routes depending on different mismatches in games...

so anyone looking forward to the post ekeler era, just remember we just got a preview of how that is going to affect our QB and our passing game in critical situations...ekeler is that rare guy that gets it, he's smart enough that he understands the playbook like a QB does...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
            Anyone wondering what happened on the final two minute warning drive against Miami needs to read this, this is the reason I talked at length on this thread about how important Austin ekeler is to this football team and that he's not just another RB...Kelley could play another ten years in the league and still not understand all the subtlety that Ekeler plays with...Spiller is not the answer either, and it remains to be seen if Dotson will have that type of intelligence too...but I doubt it...

...ekeler is KEY part of our passing game, herbert trusts him as much as he does Keenan in critical situations...herbert trusts that he'll catch and convert and also that he'll recognize the play and pick up the blitzes, on the final drive Sunday ekeler was out and kelley failed to pick up a blitz on one play and also ran the wrong route on the other play where Herbert was called for intentional grounding, a frustrated Herbert was signaling on the field to Kelley that he should've flared out and I've never seen herbert do that on the field with one of his teammates before...

...there is a reason that kelley has taken so long to develop and why he is not considered more than a back up...the reason? it's from the neck up and between his ears which ekeler has kelley completely outclassed, one of the things that this forum fails to respect about ekeler's game how often he saves plays by picking up blitzes and recognition/understanding how he's supposed to break off his routes depending on different mismatches in games...

so anyone looking forward to the post ekeler era, just remember we just got a preview of how that is going to affect our QB and our passing game in critical situations...ekeler is that rare guy that gets it, he's smart enough that he understands the playbook like a QB does...
            ANY RB with any football smarts or common sense that knows the playbook should know to do that. But some just rely in their talent I guess.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

ANY RB with any football smarts or common sense that knows the playbook should know to do that. But some just rely in their talent I guess.
              why is it so hard for people to admit that ekeler is elite? is it just because he was undrafted? or is it just because he's a smaller back? it could be years before the chargers have another back of ekleer's ilk, to pretend like we can just replace him so easily is absurd to me, I could give two shits about what the analytics have told owners about how to treat RBs, playmakers will always be playmakers because they combine athletic traits (many have those) with rare football IQ (not many have that)...
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Berserker76
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

why is it so hard for people to admit that ekeler is elite? is it just because he was undrafted? or is it just because he's a smaller back? it could be years before the chargers have another back of ekleer's ilk, to pretend like we can just replace him so easily is absurd to me, I could give two shits about what the analytics have told owners about how to treat RBs, playmakers will always be playmakers because they combine athletic traits (many have those) with rare football IQ (not many have that)...
                Ekeler is an elite player, and besides that, is half of our offense. That will be quite apparent if he misses a game or two.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Ekeler is an elite player, and besides that, is half of our offense. That will be quite apparent if he misses a game or two.
                  I don’t understand the Ekeler haters. He’s elite and more deserving of his paycheck than many that make a lot more than him on the team.

Who wouldn’t be pissed off., if you were in his shoes and measured your contribution versus the others?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Kelly was the RB on that play, not Ekeler. I just never got around to editing it as I was at work.

So yes, ANY RB who knows their assignment and the playbook should know to swing it out. What he does with the ball once he gets it separates the mediocres from the elites. But at least know your job.

I've never hated in Ekeler and I do think Ekeler is a damn good RB but he won't get paid what he wants so I find it hard to believe he stays here unless TT gives him better than what any other team will.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

I appreciate Ekeler but if he is half our offense, then we are not a complete team by any means.
                      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Berserker76
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I appreciate Ekeler but if he is half our offense, then we are not a complete team by any means.
                        No argument from me.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I don't know of any "Ekeler-haters". We won't be able to retain him next year because of the cap issues. In fact, we probably have to cut KA/MW and Khalil Mack. It's not because we "hate them"... it's because of Math.

And be careful to throw Joshua Kelley into the gutter. He'll thrive in this system this year. Even if he does well, he won't be re-signed... it's the money.

Comment

Working...
                          X