• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    He went from feeling really, sincerely, deeply appreciated when he signed the last contract to feeling undervalued and disrespected? Hmm.

I was hoping the little shots he took at Herbert earlier were just chum, but maybe he really is unhappy on this team

TG
    He is the most productive offensive player besides Herbert. Yet MW and Keenan get paid big money and aren't as durable or reliable as Ek. He's in a tough position given the RB market but I don't blame him for feeling underpaid.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

What shot at Herbert??
      What did Eke say?

Anyway, to me this is simply a negotiating tactic for an extension. I doubt he sincerely wants to go elsewhere.
      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

He is the most productive offensive player besides Herbert. Yet MW and Keenan get paid big money and aren't as durable or reliable as Ek. He's in a tough position given the RB market but I don't blame him for feeling underpaid.
        I don't either, not one bit. But the reality is that RB don't make big money. It is certainly not fair, they do a lot and get the living tar beat out of them. But they don't command the salaries they used to and they seem to be pretty easy to replace. Remember Gordon wanted big money and he got replaced by a cheap, undrafted free agent from a tiny school who has totally outplayed him. And that guy's name is Ekeler.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          What shot at Herbert??
          What did Eke say?

Anyway, to me this is simply a negotiating tactic for an extension. I doubt he sincerely wants to go elsewhere.
          He got interviewed by someone and more or less said Herbert needs to be a better and more consistent leader. Something like that. It was mild, but he said it. It surprised me because Ekeler has always been so humble, positive, and team first. That is why it stuck in my memory.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Why not pay him like a player who gains more than 1.5k offensive yards and scores 20 TDs per season then? Because that is what he brings to the offense.
            That is what he brought up to 27. We have him under contract at age 28. What will he do from ages 29 to 32 or 33? You pay a player for their future contribution, not their past contribution.

Comment

• BigBad
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Team loses a 27-0 playoff lead and the main RB gets ZERO blame. The guy is a good to great 3rd down scat back type. When the defense knows we are running he can't do anything.

I wouldn't extend him either.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

That is what he brought up to 27. We have him under contract at age 28. What will he do from ages 29 to 32 or 33? You pay a player for their future contribution, not their past contribution.
                He has been a very good player
                Overperformed his contract
                But his position is a tough one. Chargers need to be smart about overpaying at RB for the future.
                Might just be time to take your draft pick and move forward

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Why not pay him like a player who gains more than 1.5k offensive yards and scores 20 TDs per season then? Because that is what he brings to the offense.
                  Because managing the cap is a complex thing for a team with little wiggle room and he is almost 29 and will soon be declining like all RBs do at that age.

He and his agent were pretty quick to play the trade card. This clearly seems like a negotiating tactic. Teams that contend let go of good players, find replacements and keep going while managing their overall rosters and cap. We could use an RB that can get tough yards and sustain drives. Plus if Herbert plays in a non Lombardi offence designed more for his arm talent he doesnt need to pass to Ekler 100 times

Dont get me wrong, I like Ekler, but this team doesnt need to be paying a 29 year old RB 12 million with their cap situation.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I dont blame him either but RB is a less valued position with short shelf life in todays NFL

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Because managing the cap is a complex thing for a team with little wiggle room and he is almost 29 and will soon be declining like all RBs do at that age.

He and his agent were pretty quick to play the trade card. This clearly seems like a negotiating tactic. Teams that contend let go of good players, find replacements and keep going while managing their overall rosters and cap. We could use an RB that can get tough yards and sustain drives. Plus if Herbert plays in a non Lombardi offence designed more for his arm talent he doesnt need to pass to Ekler 100 times

Dont get me wrong, I like Ekler, but this team doesnt need to be paying a 29 year old RB 12 million with their cap situation.
                      Plus, the shelf life of a running back is tough. Ekeler is a good solid NFL running back. I think best used as a third down back. He was a positive in the Chargers offense. That said, the offense needs to improve and this is the year to move on from him.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                        Let's do this!
                        • Aug 2022
                        • Raleigh N. Carolina
                        • Send PM

And just like that Ek is a Fin

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                          FUdean
                          • Dec 2022
                          • Send PM

I guess that sparkling new practice facility isn't enough???

Comment

Working...
                          X