• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And so far - the market has shown he was wrong in his assessment and the Chargers should have been pro-active and traded him on Wednesday
    Chargers may not have any trade offers to choose from. I think if there were serious offers, someone would have leaked the info

It’s still a bit early but the clock is definitely ticking louder. I don’t think he’s going to get much if anything more than his current salary, but if, say he gets north of $7M and I am TT - I tell the wooing team that a $7M+ player is a 2nd rd pick. They are setting the price, not him . (A 3rd is likely where that would settle out). I don’t take a Day3 pick for him, no way.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Chargers may not have any trade offers to choose from. I think if there were serious offers, someone would have leaked the info

It’s still a bit early but the clock is definitely ticking louder. I don’t think he’s going to get much if anything more than his current salary, but if, say he gets north of $7M and I am TT - I tell the wooing team that a $7M+ player is a 2nd rd pick. They are setting the price, not him . (A 3rd is likely where that would settle out). I don’t take a Day3 pick for him, no way.
      The reason I am taking a day 3 pick is I can use that money to improve the roster in other areas without pushing more cap to the future. Ekeler is a FA after this year. This is the time to trade him. His production in 2023 should be less if the Chargers are going to have success.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

The reason I am taking a day 3 pick is I can use that money to improve the roster in other areas without pushing more cap to the future. Ekeler is a FA after this year. This is the time to trade him. His production in 2023 should be less if the Chargers are going to have success.
        I get your logic, I’m the other side that I’m not just giving him away. TT has to go thru 100+ UDFAs to find that one Ekeler, not just giving him away for a Day3 scrub. I don’t think a team will trade for Eke as a one-year rental and give up picks - so they will have a deal in place that likely exceeds his current contract. Even a Rd4 is too light for what Eke can do. If we trade him, we instantly have a big hole that needs to be filled so having the extra cash isn’t like a free bonus.

The comp pick for him if he signed next year at $7M+ is possibly a 3rd? Never sure with comp picks. There seems to be an anti-Charger algorithm deep in the bowels of NYC home office
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

I get your logic, I’m the other side that I’m not just giving him away. TT has to go thru 100+ UDFAs to find that one Ekeler, not just giving him away for a Day3 scrub. I don’t think a team will trade for Eke as a one-year rental and give up picks - so they will have a deal in place that likely exceeds his current contract. Even a Rd4 is too light for what Eke can do. If we trade him, we instantly have a big hole that needs to be filled so having the extra cash isn’t like a free bonus.

The comp pick for him if he signed next year at $7M+ is possibly a 3rd? Never sure with comp picks. There seems to be an anti-Charger algorithm deep in the bowels of NYC home office
          I am going to ask a serious question - based on the market this year for Running backs and how they average is 6m per year - how is Ekeler in a year going to demand 7m for the Chargers to get a comp pick. And right now, per OTC a $7m AAV will get you a 6th round comp pick. And that is only if the chargers do not sign anybody

So realistically, the best the Chargers can hope for from Ekeler is a 6th round comp pick, probably a 7th in 2025.

As far as your last point - the hole to fill isn't that big. Because if the Chargers need Austin Ekeler to get 100 catches and 18 touchdowns in 2023 - they are bleeped with a capital F!!!

The Chargers offense in 2023 needs a better running game and a more vertical passing game - Ekeler is doing neither of those two things. So if you can get that 5th round pick today - you do it.

Seriously - Chase Edmonds got $1m from the Bucs - I would take that over Ekeler at 6.25m this year. Call me stupid - I don't care. I would just value JJ3 + Edmonds over just Ekeler. for the same cap dollars.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Dont disagree. Chargers get a decent pick, no later than round 3 or they expect him to come back nd fulfill the last year of his contract.

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Dont disagree. Chargers get a decent pick, no later than round 3 or they expect him to come back nd fulfill the last year of his contract.
              Considering Ek and Joshua Kelly both averaged around 4 yards per carry and Ek went off the deep end this year thinking he deserves millions more trying to force the issue I would be happy with a 5th round pick for him at this point and if we can't trade him just make him our 3rd down RB if he comes back to play out his contract. WE don't need our featured back to worry about 600 plus receiving yards off of screens. We need someone like Bijan to come in and establish the run game while allowing Herbert to do his thing with our talented WR's and good TE play.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Considering Ek and Joshua Kelly both averaged around 4 yards per carry and Ek went off the deep end this year thinking he deserves millions more trying to force the issue I would be happy with a 5th round pick for him at this point and if we can't trade him just make him our 3rd down RB if he comes back to play out his contract. WE don't need our featured back to worry about 600 plus receiving yards off of screens. We need someone like Bijan to come in and establish the run game while allowing Herbert to do his thing.
                Thats what I am saying

Chargers two biggest needs on offense were and are still: improve running game and team speed

Neither has happened. So we shall see what happens at draft time

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Not even close. More like a 6th....maybe 7th.

Only the few very highest signed guys will bring a 3rd round comp pick. So who ever the 3 or 4 highest money signed guys were.

There are 300 FAs,....only 32 comp picks are handed out and then maybe a couple others for losing black coaches for higher positions which I think is bullshit, and...... perhaps even racist...is what I saw a black guy on Twitter post. Never thought of it that will til I read his post lol.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Thats what I am saying

Chargers two biggest needs on offense were and are still: improve running game and team speed

You are totally right about the 2 biggest needs on offence, and no they have not been addressed. I realize part of it is blocking and scheme, but even with Ekler, the run game is a big area of improvement needed to win in playoffs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

You are totally right about the 2 biggest needs on offence, and no they have not been addressed. I realize part of it is blocking and scheme, but even with Ekler, the run game is a big area of improvement needed to win in playoffs.
                      Even with improved run blocking and maybe better play calls: Allen, Ekeler, Williams and Palmer plus Kelly and Spiller - none are getting faster

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They can extend Davis, which they should.
                        We all thought this would happen to help lower the cap overage, there were rumors that they were working on one…but now the longer there’s no news I’m beginning to think his extension suffered the same fate as ekeler’s…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Thats what I am saying

If we just focused on these 2 aspects even on D we need more team speed, and a good TE I think we could improve on what was last season! You know this I know this but does TT & Staley know this?????

Comment

Working...
                          X