• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

CMC ran the ball 287 times and then broke. Exactly what is your point? Both are the same type of RBs. CMC may be shifter, maybe faster don't know.
    But both are the same type of RB.
    Approx 85 more carrys that’s my point. Ekeler was breaking down in 21 from 200 carrys in a season. If you don’t see the point there I don’t know what to tell you.

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Ekeler is not just pound for pound stronger, he's the strongest guy on our roster in the weight room. Darren Sproles was 5'6" and he was one of the strongest guys
      on our roster, stronger than most of the big guys. NOT pound for pound just straight out lifting more. So there's that.

In as far as RBs go it's not always about upper body strength size matters because a 220lb guy is 20lbs heavier and that much more difficult to stop forward progress.
      There is also lower body strength which matters more than how much a guy can bench press.
      Pound for pound, but unfortunately in the real world, it’s not pound for pound. When he runs and a 300 pound lineman or a 250 linebacker hits him in the A gap all his weight lifting doesn’t move them out of the way.

Let me say it another way, your life depended one of two players running up the gut and getting 5 yards on a good run defense (no chargers 21 run D cheating here). You can pick between super awesome bench and squat pound for pound strong man Ekeler or can’t bench or squat as much Derrick Henry, who do you pick?

Yeah, then all that “strength” in the weight room doesn’t matter anymore and the real strength comes into play.

Comment

• JOJAX85
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Irmo, SC
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Approx 85 more carrys that’s my point. Ekeler was breaking down in 21 from 200 carrys in a season. If you don’t see the point there I don’t know what to tell you.
        I love everything about him. How he came from a school most have never heard of. How he asked what exactly he needed to do to make the roster when he was brought in as nothing but camp fodder. How he keeps himself in tremendous shape year round and how he's willing to put his head in a meat grinder of fat boys if that's what's asked of him.

But

As witnessed by LT, ALL RBs only have so many hits before the wheels fall off. And they don't just run flat. They fall the Fuck off! I would like to see him stick around, but it's a gamble to pay him as a top level RB for more than 2 years. Just is.

Comment

• Budsman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

No actually it really isn't. In 7 years CMC has a total of 999 yards more rushing than Ekeler on 211 more carries. That is 142 yards on 30 carries per year. Sorry, not buying that those 2 carries and 10 yards per game shows CMC is better by a large margin.
          Did you look at those stats? You’re taking injured years into account? That’s silly. Also did you look at ciricumstances that they were both in. Ekeler has had Herbert under center for all his biggest years and CMC had Cam Newton and in his best year had the deadly trio of Cam Newton, Will Grier and Kyle Allen (not to be confused with Josh Allen).

He also had a higher YPC 5.0 and 4.8 than Ekeler in those two years and last year when he was healthy he had 4.7. In Ekelers only 200+ carry years he has 4.5 and 4.4.

if you take Ekelers only years as a bell cow over 200 carrys (not when he was a change of pace to Gordon), he has 410 carrys in those two years. Cmc in his best two years rushing has 287+ 244 or 531. A much higher load than Ekeler and a higher YPC.

Just stop, they clearly aren’t close to the same back. Cmc is a better all around back who can actually run for 1k+ yards and be a threat out of the backfield. Ekeler is just a threat out of the backfield. They aren’t the same.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Did you look at those stats? You’re taking injured years into account? That’s silly. Also did you look at ciricumstances that they were both in. Ekeler has had Herbert under center for all his biggest years and CMC had Cam Newton and in his best year had the deadly trio of Cam Newton, Will Grier and Kyle Allen (not to be confused with Josh Allen).

He also had a higher YPC 5.0 and 4.8 than Ekeler in those two years and last year when he was healthy he had 4.7. In Ekelers only 200+ carry years he has 4.5 and 4.4.

if you take Ekelers only years as a bell cow over 200 carrys (not when he was a change of pace to Gordon), he has 410 carrys in those two years. Cmc in his best two years rushing has 287+ 244 or 531. A much higher load than Ekeler and a higher YPC.

Just stop, they clearly aren’t close to the same back. Cmc is a better all around back who can actually run for 1k+ yards and be a threat out of the backfield. Ekeler is just a threat out of the backfield. They aren’t the same.
            Right, and why he missed so many games with injuries after wards.

Not sure what you are getting at. With Cam CMC still had 287 carries.and 100+ receptions....which is too many touches for a RB his size.

Bell cow isn't a good term for a 200-205 lb RB. Throw out all the stats you want, they are similar players. Ek is just getting more reps since he is by far our best RB.

Need to change that.and even it up.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Yes I did look at the stats. CMC averaged 30 rushes a year more than Ekeler over a 7 year career. That is less than 2 carries per game on average. The yards per carry and reception are similar and the TDs are fewer. The fact that CMC doesn't appear to be as durable as Ekeler isn't something I hold against Ekeler.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Ontario , Canada
                • Send PM

Yes I did look at the stats. CMC averaged 30 rushes a year more than Ekeler over a 7 year career. That is less than 2 carries per game on average. The yards per carry and reception are similar and the TDs are fewer. The fact that CMC doesn't appear to be as durable as Ekeler isn't something I hold against Ekeler.
                I didn't mean Ekeler was a poor man's CMC in a derogative sense. He is in the same mold ,just a notch down. CMC has been to 3 probowls . Austin Ekeler 0. Tells you all you need to know.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

You continue to count years CMC was injured. Just count the apples to apples best years but you refuse to do that….

Ken Jeong GIF by The Masked Singer

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Right, and why he missed so many games with injuries after wards.

Not sure what you are getting at. With Cam CMC still had 287 carries.and 100+ receptions....which is too many touches for a RB his size.

Bell cow isn't a good term for a 200-205 lb RB. Throw out all the stats you want, they are similar players. Ek is just getting more reps since he is by far our best RB.

Need to change that.and even it up.
                    CMC is the best RB in the country when healthy, Ekeler is not. It’s pretty easy.

I’m unsure why you don’t know what I’m getting at. It was pretty clear if you looked at the premise of the message I replied to you would understand. I’ll let you do your homework and figure that out.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

You continue to count years CMC was injured. Just count the apples to apples best years but you refuse to do that….
                      Why wouldn't I take the games missed into account? Availability is a big part of a player's value. CMC's injury history is why number of carries between the two is so small over their careers.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Ontario , Canada
                        • Send PM

I will say this though. Our running game has been middling at best for 5 years now. They invested in Ekeler who is not a real #1 and have been overusing him to the point of injury just to recoup their investment then dumpster diving in the 4th and later rnds for a 2nd running back.

What they needed to do was get a between the tackles grinder in the early rounds and use Ekeler like an Alvin Kamara. Maybe allot say $10-12M to the position and get these 2 types of backs. So if that means letting Ekeler walk if he wants too much of this pie then so be it.

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

I didn't mean Ekeler was a poor man's CMC in a derogative sense. He is in the same mold ,just a notch down. CMC has been to 3 probowls . Austin Ekeler 0. Tells you all you need to know.
                          I wouldnt count pro bowls against a player. after all a lot of PBs is all about popularity. it is the stupidest game ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X