• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

You can replace "RB" with "any position" quite frankly as Telescos record after R1 speaks for itself. And Melvin Gordon wasn't that great. He was a good solid running back. But they could have found "Melvin Gordon" in the 3rd round
    Well the pressure is on. Going forward if the Chargers want to contend they have to start drafting like the Chiefs and finding players in mid rounds because the salary piper is going to have to be paid even more in 2024 plus Herbert is about to get a huge deal.

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

So you think the dump offs to Ekeler were the designed plays? So it's one of two things,

A) Ekeler designed and called the plays OR
      B) Herbert used Ekeler on passing plays as a safety valve when he couldn't find anybody open while and/or under extreme pressure.

If B our passing game will not improve unless we protect Herbert better or give him better receiving options.
      If you watched the games you would know Chargers RBs got hit behind the LOS or ran into a brick wall on running downs. That not
      a function of the RBs. FYI Ekeler averaged 4.5ypc, Kelly 4.2. Then it fell off a cliff. The failed run game was not on Ekeler. In fact
      we've had trouble running the football long before Ekeler. If we want a guy to gain the tough yards then blame TT for not finding a
      decent guy that can spell Ekeler. The vast majority of NFL teams do not rely on a bell cow RB. They carry two guys that can get
      the job done. The two usually have different skill sets. Who is our RB that can gain 3 yards on 3rd and 2? No one.

If A, then get rid of Ekeler.

So in my opinion the Chargers passing offense will improve if we are not hit with all the injuries to our receivers and O line, whether Ekeler is
      on the team or not. Our running game will not improve whether Ekeler is on the team or not IF we do not change our blocking scheme or
      improve the run blocking.

Ekeler wanting an extension doesn't mean he's gone over the deep end. It's quite common for a player with one year left on his contract
      to seek an extension. In this case the two parties could not agree, that happens as well. As of today we don't know if Ekeler will try and
      sit out or show up at training camp. So we'll just have to wait it out because a trade is not happening anytime soon.
      If Ekeler is as valuable to the Chargers as you and he seem to think how come no one has traded for him yet? If Ek and Kelley can ave. 4 yards behind our dreadful O-line maybe someone like Bijan could do better and get stronger as the game goes on and we could use a cowbell back to establish the run and get those tough yards? See what Travis Etienne did in our playoff game and see what Ek did? We need more a Etienne type back at this point, not an 28 year old RB who wants to be paid as his skills diminish. If Ekeler wants to be Mr. Business man first then don't blame the Chargers to want to be Mr. Business man right back. Ekeler wasn't kidding when he said he doesn't know what the future holds for him! Since he sure doesn't he shouldn't have been so demanding and asked for a trade. We were 30th in the league rushing with him as our featured back, that to me doesn't seem to be good enough to asked to be paid like the top RB's in the league.

Comment

• Tbone33101
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

So you think the dump offs to Ekeler were the designed plays? So it's one of two things,

A) Ekeler designed and called the plays OR
        B) Herbert used Ekeler on passing plays as a safety valve when he couldn't find anybody open while and/or under extreme pressure.

If B our passing game will not improve unless we protect Herbert better or give him better receiving options.
        If you watched the games you would know Chargers RBs got hit behind the LOS or ran into a brick wall on running downs. That not
        a function of the RBs. FYI Ekeler averaged 4.5ypc, Kelly 4.2. Then it fell off a cliff. The failed run game was not on Ekeler. In fact
        we've had trouble running the football long before Ekeler. If we want a guy to gain the tough yards then blame TT for not finding a
        decent guy that can spell Ekeler. The vast majority of NFL teams do not rely on a bell cow RB. They carry two guys that can get
        the job done. The two usually have different skill sets. Who is our RB that can gain 3 yards on 3rd and 2? No one.

If A, then get rid of Ekeler.

So in my opinion the Chargers passing offense will improve if we are not hit with all the injuries to our receivers and O line, whether Ekeler is
        on the team or not. Our running game will not improve whether Ekeler is on the team or not IF we do not change our blocking scheme or

Ekeler wanting an extension doesn't mean he's gone over the deep end. It's quite common for a player with one year left on his contract
        to seek an extension. In this case the two parties could not agree, that happens as well. As of today we don't know if Ekeler will try and
        sit out or show up at training camp. So we'll just have to wait it out because a trade is not happening anytime soon.
        This is the most accurate post I’ve seen kudos!
        I can’t fathom why some think Ekeler was the problem and moving him will make the pass game better. I don’t think they should pay him anymore than 9-10 mill per on a 2 year extension but in my opinion the team is worse without him. I’m not counting on a rookie RB replacing his 1600 plus yards and 17 TDs

Comment

• Budsman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

The market sure seems to reflect your assessment, but I still believe he is worth more to us here than anything anyone would be willing to give up in trade for him right now and I don’t see how a 5 round pick is going to help make up for the loss in offensive production…if the chargers can have assurances from his agent that he won’t pull a melvin gordon move then give him most of his salary up front as a bonus and add some incentives that he can easily get another 1-2 mil out of the season and everyone wins, we get a motivated player busting his hump to make more cash and knowing he can hit the open market next year to cash in on his last big contract…plus we stand to get a bigger comp in 2025 for him than whatever anyone will trade for him this year…if I was the chargers I would consider dealing with ekeler like that and it doesn’t do anything to push dead money into future years…
          I feel your take and I don’t hate it. Personally I’m ok moving 6 million a year and going younger. I get it Ek has been awesome for this team and he’s played his heart out. The problem is I’m here for a Lombardi trophy and I’m not sure in a more balanced offense that his value isnt less than 6 mil a year and a young cheap option (hopefully Bijan) can do more than what Ek does for this team by being multiple.

I’ll admit I hope we get Bijan and have Ekeler for this season because that would be so fun to watch. I agree that at best we get a third for him but I also don’t think teams are going to pay him more than what he’s making now so it’s likely he stays here or we’re forced to trade him because due to perceived disrespect.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

a function of the RBs.

100% agree. That’s why I keep repeating Bijan Robinson isn’t the answer to our run game woes.

It’s either the blocking schemes or OL talent that needs improvement. If our current OL can’t open a gap for a RB, then replace the OL.

Im tired of watching our OL get stacked up and dominated for the past decade.

Maybe with Slater back and year two for Johnson and Salyer will make a difference. Sure hope so.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

If Ekeler is as valuable to the Chargers as you and he seem to think how come no one has traded for him yet? If Ek and Kelley can ave. 4 yards behind our dreadful O-line maybe someone like Bijan could do better and get stronger as the game goes on and we could use a cowbell back to establish the run and get those tough yards? See what Travis Etienne did in our playoff game and see what Ek did? We need more a Etienne type back at this point, not an 28 year old RB who wants to be paid as his skills diminish. If Ekeler wants to be Mr. Business man first then don't blame the Chargers to want to be Mr. Business man right back. Ekeler wasn't kidding when he said he doesn't know what the future holds for him! Since he sure doesn't he shouldn't have been so demanding and asked for a trade. We were 30th in the league rushing with him as our featured back, that to me doesn't seem to be good enough to asked to be paid like the top RB's in the league.
              Last year he was pretty valuable unless you think we would have been better without him, I don't. As for RB value: See the couple of posts both Canadian and I discussed.
              We don't need a cow bell RB, those are a dying bred. Look a Henry once considered the best cow back in the league. Averaged 4.4 ypc, less than Ekeler, on the trading block
              And there is only one Jacobs. If he carries the ball +300 times how long do you think he will last.? Barkley? Average 4.5ypc same as Ekeler. After that there are plenty
              of backs that got 1000 yards with 100 more carries than Ekeler.

You want to use Etienne then blame our defense not Ekeler. We had a 27-7 lead. The Jags dared us to beat us through the air and we couldn't do it in the second half.
              Do you remember our PO game against NE when LT was out? Turner was a power back and a good one. What did he do in the game? NE loaded up the box, dared us
              to beat them with the pass and we could not.

No problem with Bijan. Just not taking a RB in the 1st a) when we have other more pressing needs b) We can get a RB in the later rounds that's better than Spiller/Kelly.

Ekeler is well within his rights to request a trade and the Chargers well within their rights to grant or refuse. No problems there. You seem to be the one that wants
              to cast blame when there is none.

Ekeler's value is in the run and passing game. We were 30th because we can't run block worth beans. That will continue with or
              without Ekeler until we fix the running play designs/blocking schemes. Maybe with Moore, don't know have to wait and see because the personnel on the O line is
              not changing but hopefully no injuries and 1 year experience of the guys playing together will help..

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Tbone33101 View Post

This is the most accurate post I’ve seen kudos!
                I can’t fathom why some think Ekeler was the problem and moving him will make the pass game better. I don’t think they should pay him anymore than 9-10 mill per on a 2 year extension but in my opinion the team is worse without him. I’m not counting on a rookie RB replacing his 1600 plus yards and 17 TDs
                too bad you both were not GM's for one of the NFL's teams in the league! Because then he would have a new team and new fans to love him and not just the logo!

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Last year he was pretty valuable unless you think we would have been better without him, I don't. As for RB value: See the couple of posts both Canadian and I discussed.
                  We don't need a cow bell RB, those are a dying bred. Look a Henry once considered the best cow back in the league. Averaged 4.4 ypc, less than Ekeler, on the trading block
                  And there is only one Jacobs. If he carries the ball +300 times how long do you think he will last.? Barkley? Average 4.5ypc same as Ekeler. After that there are plenty
                  of backs that got 1000 yards with 100 more carries than Ekeler.

You want to use Etienne then blame our defense not Ekeler. We had a 27-7 lead. The Jags dared us to beat us through the air and we couldn't do it in the second half.
                  Do you remember our PO game against NE when LT was out? Turner was a power back and a good one. What did he do in the game? NE loaded up the box, dared us
                  to beat them with the pass and we could not.

No problem with Bijan. Just not taking a RB in the 1st a) when we have other more pressing needs b) We can get a RB in the later rounds that's better than Spiller/Kelly.

Ekeler is well within his rights to request a trade and the Chargers well within their rights to grant or refuse. No problems there. You seem to be the one that wants
                  to cast blame when there is none.

Ekeler's value is in the run and passing game. We were 30th because we can't run block worth beans. That will continue with or
                  without Ekeler until we fix the running play designs/blocking schemes. Maybe with Moore, don't know have to wait and see because the personnel on the O line is
                  not changing but hopefully no injuries and 1 year experience of the guys playing together will help..
                  Ekeler would be fine this year if we had lets say a combo of Bijan and Ek with Kelley as our 3rd and Spiller as our 4, unfortunately Ekeler wants to be paid as a top RB and take our cap to the edge without leaving any room for improvement so he can get paid over the 24 million he would make this season while being paid at the same level as all the other RB's are getting paid this season. After he got his lets say 10 million this season he would resume his leader in the locker room vibe which based on how he is behaving now was all phoney baloney!

Comment

• Tbone33101
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

too bad you both were not GM's for one of the NFL's teams in the league! Because then he would have a new team and new fans to love him and not just the logo!
                    Lol I’m thinking the same for you…I guess time will tell either way go bolts

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Ekeler would be fine this year if we had lets say a combo of Bijan and Ek with Kelley as our 3rd and Spiller as our 4, unfortunately Ekeler wants to be paid as a top RB and take our cap to the edge without leaving any room for improvement so he can get paid over the 24 million he would make this season while being paid at the same level as all the other RB's are getting paid this season.
                      We got him for 1 more year at $6.25M unless he finds another team or he holds out, which would be foolish. I would consider taking Bijan in the 1st round if
                      we lose Ekeler. Otherwise there are more pressing needs. I still would draft a RB this year because Kelly is a worse version of Ekeler and Spiller has shown
                      nothing. The $24M is over the life of the contract. Ekeler will make $6.25M. He still would need another $1.5M to bring his total on the contract to $24M.
                      $1.5M is the dead cap if we cut him.

Comment

• MasterOfPuppets
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Tijuana
                        • Send PM

Again with the rumors...
                        Please, nobody post anything unless you have concrete evidence that it came from the agent or the player, thank you.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

Please, nobody post anything unless you have concrete evidence that it came from the agent or the player, thank you.
                          If we adopted that rule, nobody would post anything. LOL! This is a place where we can let our imaginations run wild. It would be pretty boring if we had to have 'concrete evidence' to support every post.

Comment

Working...
                          X