• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Why do you say that? Id bet in SF he would look just like McCaffrey, and would look good in Steichens offense....or in Denver with Payton.
    Maybe if Ekeler took up bountygate from Payton, then he'll get the money he wants.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

It’s pretty obvious that Moore runs a 50/50 offense. His offense last year was almost exactly 50/50. Lombardi was 700+pass attempts to 400 run attempts.

I think it’s safe to say the chargers have some running plans this season that they need someone else to carry some of the load. If that’s a split of carrys or a trade who knows but either way it’s going to look different on the Offense this year and rightfully so.
      Maybe. Couple factors may change that. Scuttle chatter out of DAL is McCarthy was the one pushing hard for more rushing percentage, so tbd if Moore will call it 50/50 without that HC pressure. MxCarthy is also a WC guy and #2 - he had Dak Prescott as QB, and that guy is a coach killer and not a great vertical downfield QB, i tell ya - if I were OC, I would throw less with Dak as my QB. Or the rookie sub when he was hurt.

Moore may call it differently with Herbie The Golden God under center. A lot depends on if we even CAN rush effectively, the reason Lombo called it almost 70/30 is we could not establish a rushing attack. He tried early and pretty quickly switched to the quick short pass alternative to rushing as his staple. Which everyone here hated as not throwing deep but i don’t want to dive into that rathole.

I am waiting to see what they do in the draft, if they go hard and fast for new receiving weapons Day 1 or 2, we’ll know he wants to get wide open. If they draft defensive front 7, OL backups and RB first, we’ll know they want to invest in running more and passing less.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

The Chargers about to sign Herbert for a record setting amount. “Here ya go Herbert, record money.” “About your running back…” “Do with what we’ll give you.” “You just got signed for record money.”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
          The Chargers about to sign Herbert for a record setting amount. “Here ya go Herbert, record money.” “About your running back…” “Do with what we’ll give you.” “You just got signed for record money.”
          You think they won’t try and upgrade RB if they sign his extension? Especially with the Eke kerfuffle?
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Maybe. Couple factors may change that. Scuttle chatter out of DAL is McCarthy was the one pushing hard for more rushing percentage, so tbd if Moore will call it 50/50 without that HC pressure. MxCarthy is also a WC guy and #2 - he had Dak Prescott as QB, and that guy is a coach killer and not a great vertical downfield QB, i tell ya - if I were OC, I would throw less with Dak as my QB. Or the rookie sub when he was hurt.

Moore may call it differently with Herbie The Golden God under center. A lot depends on if we even CAN rush effectively, the reason Lombo called it almost 70/30 is we could not establish a rushing attack. He tried early and pretty quickly switched to the quick short pass alternative to rushing as his staple. Which everyone here hated as not throwing deep but i don’t want to dive into that rathole.

I am waiting to see what they do in the draft, if they go hard and fast for new receiving weapons Day 1 or 2, we’ll know he wants to get wide open. If they draft defensive front 7, OL backups and RB first, we’ll know they want to invest in running more and passing less.
            The Chargers will never be a 50/50 offence with Herbert, nor should they be.

They just need to run the ball effectively when they need to...and have enough threat of the run to keep defenses honest.

Run heavy offences in todays NFL are for teams who don't have a golden armed elite franchise QB

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Doesn't have to be 50/50 but it has to be way better that how it was last year.The O line is set so they are almost assuredly gonna upgrade the RB room in this draft.We need a true #1 strong,Big RB to help this offense along with speed at WR and health.

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

At this point I would rather have Chase Brown or Zach Evans going into next year as our RB if we could get a 3rd round pick for Ekeler, and I doubt at this point if anyone would rather have Ekeler over Bijan as our featured back.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

The Chargers will never be a 50/50 offence with Herbert, nor should they be.

They just need to run the ball effectively when they need to...and have enough threat of the run to keep defenses honest.

Run heavy offences in todays NFL are for teams who don't have a golden armed elite franchise QB
                  50/50 is a concept that is seldom a reality. We will run the ball. How often depends on the flow of the game and the opponent.
                  For the 2023 season, 60 pass/ 40 run seems like a good guess.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                    Doesn't have to be 50/50 but it has to be way better that how it was last year.The O line is set so they are almost assuredly gonna upgrade the RB room in this draft.We need a true #1 strong,Big RB to help this offense along with speed at WR and health.
                    We ran frequently but were not good at it.
                    We look better on OL with Slater back, Zion in year 2 at LG , Linsley and Pipkins healthy and Salyer at RG .
                    Moore is an aggressive young vet OC who had success in Dallas. The blocking scheme and execution should be more effective.
                    Adding RB(s) depends mostly on Ekeler. The team liked him, wants him back.
                    Kelley had good ypc and Spiller is a largely untested 6-1, 215lb 4th round draft pick..
                    Barring Bijan dropping to us, it may be the same.

Comment

• SDBORN
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We ran frequently but were not good at it.
                      We look better on OL with Slater back, Zion in year 2 at LG , Linsley and Pipkins healthy and Salyer at RG .
                      Moore is an aggressive young vet OC who had success in Dallas. The blocking scheme and execution should be more effective.
                      Adding RB(s) depends mostly on Ekeler. The team liked him, wants him back.
                      Kelley had good ypc and Spiller is a largely untested 6-1, 215lb 4th round draft pick..
                      Barring Bijan dropping to us, it may be the same.
                      Can't wait to see how things play out with Moore. I'm optimistic

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Ontario , Canada
                        • Send PM

Staley had Todd Gurley, Darrell Henderson, amd Cam Akers. Kellen Moore had Ezekial Elliot. I think both of them will convince mgmt the need for a real #1 back

I think if they felt Ekler was the long tome answer they would have signed him as a first priority in the new season. At this pt he is really a #2 3rd down back type. So the question is ,how much do you pay for that position? IMO maybe $6-8M. Then you need to pay at least that to get a true # 1 bruiser and we can have a real running game.

I think that is more or of a real plan for the RB position so again if they cant work it out w Ekeler ,it is sad, but we would have to let him go.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Guessing they are going into the draft with a handful of RBs each round they like for RB1. Running game will look very different.

Comment

Working...
                          X