I apologize to SDFan and Bolt-O and BKR and....

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

SHAM

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Really? If Spanos is lying (not far fetched as rich people rarely get rich by telling the truth) then playing in SD in 2016 (and maybe 2017..) while trying to "work out a deal" for a new stadium in SD makes the most fiscal sense as they have practice facilities, etc. in place here, also season ticket buyers. He has the deal in LA waiting for him whenever makes the most sense to sign on it, maybe not the way he envisioned but he well may want to be the LA Clippers of the NFL more than stay here, I dunno but it would be very easy to string out the talks then - again - claim they couldn't all agree on a viable plan. That would simply be business as usual for this cluster.

I guess I'll believe the team really does want to stay when their contribution goes up considerably. Hell, even noticeably. Right now nothing seems to be changed except the timeline, sad as that is.
      If he is stringing out talks that will be obvious. That is my point. There is no way he can "fool" anyone in to thinking he is serious about getting something done if the actions show nothing is progressing.

By staying in SD their plan is to show SD that they are committed to a SD solution and that is what will win fans trust back. That is Deans stated plan and if he doesn't follow through he knows he has an awful lame duck season coming up in SD. It's put up or shut up time.
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Can't he just say, "This is all I can contribute" and leave it at that if the city can't cover the rest? Easy out.

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Can't he just say, "This is all I can contribute" and leave it at that if the city can't cover the rest? Easy out.
          sure he can, but not until deeper into the process. There has to be exchange of ideas and then a consensus on which site- MV or DT. There will have to be discussions about how big the stadium would be, how many seats & suites, level of amenities and all that goes into building the structure. They'd need to come up with artists/architect renderings to agree how it would look. Figure out how much parking, where it ties into city services, permitting, EIR, timelines, etc. Then talk about how much the whole thing should cost and who pays what. CSAG released a report with a framework to start discussions on MV and there was a neat animated rendering of what it could look like in MV- all by the city. Nobody has seen anything like that out of the Chargers to know what exactly their vision looks like. I'm guessing the city negotiating team will press for something like that from the team pretty early on in meetings. They ought to have a pretty good read on The Spanii intentions by their willingness to roll up sleeves and work on laying the groundwork before they even get around to discussing who pays for what and how much. If they stall or balk at all the early groundwork laying sessions, it will be obvious.
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Guess we'll find out, soon.

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
              sure he can, but not until deeper into the process. There has to be exchange of ideas and then a consensus on which site- MV or DT. There will have to be discussions about how big the stadium would be, how many seats & suites, level of amenities and all that goes into building the structure. They'd need to come up with artists/architect renderings to agree how it would look. Figure out how much parking, where it ties into city services, permitting, EIR, timelines, etc. Then talk about how much the whole thing should cost and who pays what. CSAG released a report with a framework to start discussions on MV and there was a neat animated rendering of what it could look like in MV- all by the city. Nobody has seen anything like that out of the Chargers to know what exactly their vision looks like. I'm guessing the city negotiating team will press for something like that from the team pretty early on in meetings. They ought to have a pretty good read on The Spanii intentions by their willingness to roll up sleeves and work on laying the groundwork before they even get around to discussing who pays for what and how much. If they stall or balk at all the early groundwork laying sessions, it will be obvious.
              As I understand it, the current offer on the table is a 1.1B Super Bowl capable stadium. With all that SDfan has mentioned here, I have to ask myself "Why do the Spanii care about the Super Bowl?". There's nothing in it for them. With all that is involved why not simplify the plan? Instead of asking for more money, or contributing more themselves (which is going to be a major points of contention) why not downgrade the size, follow the Seattle model and just build a stadium that provides a true homefield advantage and a great NFL experience for the fans. You could still host your 2 bowl games a year, the Aztecs and a host of other events. Screw the Super Bowl. Tell the NFL, "If you want a Super Bowl quality stadium in SD you pay the additional costs or forgive the 200M loan."
              :2cents:
              sigpic

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

......and everyone knows fans prefer to attend Super Bowls in freezing Detroit and New Jersey not to mention party hot spots like Indianapolis and Jacksonville.
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

Hey Seattle never got a SB after their new stadium was completed. They build a 69,000 seat stadium at a bargain rate, even in 2016 dollars. Screw the SB requirements and the retractable dome crap, build it for San Diegans. There should already be enough money on the table to accomplish it.
                  sigpic

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Ya know, Kroenke's super stadium in LA may end up being an interesting wrinkle, maybe it takes a SB-hosting stadium in SD off the table? I can understand the league pushing for it without anything in LA, but now...yeah, why is that a thing? Screw it, do the Seattle do.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Have any of you guys actually BEEN TO Seattle's stadium? I have- and I think it sucks. The majority of seating requires climbing up endless rows of steps at about a 70% angle and you need to stop on your way up and catch your breath to get to upper sections. Lots of people fall coming down, and if your seat is end of isle, people fall on you, grab hold of you to keep from falling and spill stuff on you. Saw 1 guy & his lady get covered in beer & nachos. Everybody stands up the whole time too- even in upper decks and my knees can't take that. This home field advantage with sound is ridiculous too- it's so fucking loud its like standing between 2 jet engines the whole game. Couldn't talk to my brother at all sitting right next to me. And yeah, I'm not a young guy anymore but to quote Ahhhnold in last Terminator- "I'm old, but not Obsolete"!
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Watching football at a stadium is a young man's game. Time for you to retire to the living room sofa.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Ya know, Kroenke's super stadium in LA may end up being an interesting wrinkle, maybe it takes a SB-hosting stadium in SD off the table? I can understand the league pushing for it without anything in LA, but now...yeah, why is that a thing? Screw it, do the Seattle do.
                          good point,
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                          X