First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
    Gridiron is a badass name.

The NGL.
    Look up the old George Carlin routine comparing football and baseball. Paraphrasing: "One is played on a GRIDIRON and the other is played on a diamond." Funny shit.
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

This fucking figures. We finally get an above average returner in Benjamin, and the NFL changes the rules on us.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
        Look up the old George Carlin routine comparing football and baseball. Paraphrasing: "One is played on a GRIDIRON and the other is played on a diamond." Funny shit.
        Carlin is my all-time favorite comedian. Long bombs vs. popups. Blitzes vs. bunts.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
          This fucking figures. We finally get an above average returner in Benjamin, and the NFL changes the rules on us.
          I don't think they were going to use him as the primary kickoff returner... just punts.

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
            If not for kicking, there would be no 'foot' in American "Football". I think euro's like to call our game "Gridiron" instead.
            I believe most Europeans( my Dutch, German, French, Irish, and British friends) all refer to it as American football.
            Then they generally go on to call it a game for pussies because" everyone" wears pads.I do my best to put 'em straight.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
              I believe most Europeans( my Dutch, German, French, Irish, and British friends) all refer to it as American football.
              Then they generally go on to call it a game for pussies because" everyone" wears pads.I do my best to put 'em straight.
              The next time they do that, make them Youtube "soccer player faking an injury."

In Mexico, our game is futbol Americano. The Mexican announcers are 1,000 times better than our announcers. The Mexicans make a 2-yard run up the middle sound like the messiah just showed up and brought peace on Earth and a whole lot of hot chicks.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2016, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

They've been doing this in college for a while.

I don't mind it.

Of course, NFL caliber kickers are better than college, so I suppose you are right, we may see more short kickoffs...but then again... maybe we'll see less, almost all guys who catch it 2-3 yards deep in the endzone bring it out, because they can get past the 20...however, at the 25 not as likely.

I think it will be tough for kickers to get it inside the 5 but not more than 5 yards deep...because if they are catching the kickoff at the 8 or 10 yard line... they're probably getting at least to the 25 anyway. Pretty small window for kickers.

I think it will be ok.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

I read an article (can't remember where) where an un-named coach said (paraphrasing here) that with the new rule, they were now going to concentrate on really high kickoffs that land about the 10 yard line and have 10 guys running full speed trying to separate the ball from the player. If player safety is somehow behind this, it will be an epic failure.

Sometimes it seems to me as if they tweak the rules just to justify having a competition committee.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
                    The next time they do that, make them Youtube "soccer player faking an injury."

In Mexico, our game is futbol Americano. The Mexican announcers are 1,000 times better than our announcers. The Mexicans make a 2-yard run up the middle sound like the messiah just showed up and brought peace on Earth and a whole lot of hot chicks.
                    Funnily enough, they also agree that " soccer" is played by pussies. They go on about how tough rugby players are, which I agree with. I then have to convince them they're comparing apples and oranges. Yes, both sports players are tough dudes, but American footballers are much larger, faster, and with the forward pass( rugby passes all go backwards) the spacing, and ergo, collisions are beyond anything you see in rugby. I just wish I underdstood rugby better- fantastic game.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                      Funnily enough, they also agree that " soccer" is played by pussies. They go on about how tough rugby players are, which I agree with. I then have to convince them they're comparing apples and oranges. Yes, both sports players are tough dudes, but American footballers are much larger, faster, and with the forward pass( rugby passes all go backwards) the spacing, and ergo, collisions are beyond anything you see in rugby. I just wish I underdstood rugby better- fantastic game.
                      Can't argue that rugby players are pussies. I don't watch real rugby, but I've watched some rugby movies. I like the documentary of Nelson Mandela's South African team - it's better than the movie with Morgan Freeman.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                        SLAM DUNK!
                        • Jun 2013
                        • East County San Diego
                        • Bolt fanatic
                        • Send PM

I don't think trying to place the ball inside the 5 on a kickoff is going to be a very successful strategy no matter how high the ball is kicked.
                        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Why is that? If you kick high and short, the chances are decent you'd stop a returner from getting to the 25, which is what you'd get with the touchback.

Comment

Working...
                          X