Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    The bonus issue is the real one, I think. The offset stuff is very standard - just about every team does the same thing the Chargers do there. But spreading the bonus out is a little more unique. The only way it hurts the player is he does not get all the money at once and loses the time value/investment opportunity. Maybe it also impacts how much the agent gets in commission and when he gets it? I don't know. But I doubt a 20 year old kid is worried about losing 5% return on money for one year when he is looking at several million dollars coming his way suddenly. And sometimes spreading money out has a tax savings associated with it for the player. Condon is probably trying to break this practice of the Chargers and using Bosa as his pawn. This is why I feel agents are bottom feeders who claim to look out for their clients but really look out for themselves. They don't care about the player or about football/the fans. Condon likely tied these two issues together so he can later publicly say that his side moved and is willing to accept the offset (that everyone else in the NFL already accepts).

TG
    yep and yep. The slotting system has worked pretty good overall since instituted and let everyone look at contracts above and below theirs for salary and bonus parameters. IIRC, the Chargers haven't had any 1st round holdouts since slotting started and we've actually had all our guys signed early at least once. What would AJ do with Condon here?
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

There are 4 first round picks still not signed. All 4 are represented by Condon...

Comment

• HoneDogNoglet
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

this blows, how long would this have to go on before it demotes him to the 2nd unit at least temporally? or worse, retard his potential performance as a rookie.

as long as he is playing in the first preseason game we good?

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by HoneDogNoglet View Post
          this blows, how long would this have to go on before it demotes him to the 2nd unit at least temporally? or worse, retard his potential performance as a rookie.

He can't show up the day before the first PS game and expect to start. From what I read he's got a lot to learn still.

Comment

• HoneDogNoglet
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

condom!!

Comment

• Faded blues
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              There are 4 first round picks still not signed. All 4 are represented by Condon...
              And all 4 are going to be sitting at home for awhile.

offset language will not change
              Last edited by Faded blues; 06-23-2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Just pay him, Spanos. Act like you want to win now, and not just after you steal our team to Los Angeles.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

He also has mentioned time value of money meaning the $$$ you do not get today that would have been invested and in theory been more by the 2nd 3rd 4th and fifth year of the rookie deal had the player received the $$$ up front and invested wisely. So at 7% that 70K per year per million that he has to weight to get and invest. Those $$$ are the ones Condon is going to try to use to get more for his client than he is slotted to get if the Chargers insist to spread out the bonus.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Geezbolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Sun Valley, ID
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by HoneDogNoglet View Post

No, we're not. I've mentioned before that my friend who used to coach in the NFL and is now retired said once camp starts you build on what you did the first day on Day 2, then on Day 3 you build on what you did on Days 1 and 2 and so on.

He said you watch film during the season and you can see players who held out making the same mistakes over and over again on things that were covered and built upon starting from Day 1. So the bottom line is Joey needs to be in camp starting the first day.

And the thing about Condon representing all of the Round 1 holdouts is a little annoying.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Condon sucks.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        He also has mentioned time value of money meaning the $$$ you do not get today that would have been invested and in theory been more by the 2nd 3rd 4th and fifth year of the rookie deal had the player received the $$$ up front and invested wisely. So at 7% that 70K per year per million that he has to weight to get and invest. Those $$$ are the ones Condon is going to try to use to get more for his client than he is slotted to get if the Chargers insist to spread out the bonus.
                        Yes, ignoring the tax implications and assuming that Bosa's advisors get him 7% annually. At the end of the day, the dollars we are talking about might be, what, 2-3% of the contract assuming Bosa invests well and wisely? I still think this is more about Condon doing what is best for Condon with all the teams he deals with than it is about Bosa.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• HoneDogNoglet
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                          No, we're not. I've mentioned before that my friend who used to coach in the NFL and is now retired said once camp starts you build on what you did the first day on Day 2, then on Day 3 you build on what you did on Days 1 and 2 and so on.

He said you watch film during the season and you can see players who held out making the same mistakes over and over again on things that were covered and built upon starting from Day 1. So the bottom line is Joey needs to be in camp starting the first day.

And the thing about Condon representing all of the Round 1 holdouts is a little annoying.
                          balls, thanks for replying

Comment

Working...
                          X