• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

@2:09

2nd and 4 yards on the Chargers' own 25. Group is 12 personnel (2WR + 2TE). Call is an inside zone blocking scheme. Result. Joshua Kelley 75-yd open field TD run. Blocking. A double scoop block on both 49ers DTs, iso-blocks on the two defensive ends with the LT and TE Tre McKitty blocking in-line, with Smartt as the insert blocker and seal block by WR John Hightower at the second level. Got to have good blocking by the WRs and the TE group for the play to break big, they did, and here it worked a treat.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Peter King w/ Coach Staley and Coach Moore. Good stuff.
      9:45... omg

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        Do you believe in genetics? Chris Hinton is the son of former 7 time all pro OL Chris Hinton of the Colts. I’m rooting for him.
        Pretty sure Hinton is the nephew of the Colts' O-lineman by the same name who was an instrumental piece of the Broncos trading to acquire John Elway.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Pretty sure Hinton is the nephew of the Colts' O-lineman by the same name who was an instrumental piece of the Broncos trading to acquire John Elway.
          That’s him. 4th overall pick IIRC.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

That’s him. 4th overall pick IIRC.
            Yessir, that's correct. In 1983. Taken with the pick immediately before the Bolts selected Billy Ray Smith.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Yessir, that's correct. In 1983. Taken with the pick immediately before the Bolts selected Billy Ray Smith.
              Ugh. Billy Ray was overdrafted. Chris was a building block.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                The Precious
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

I’d give QJ a game ball as well. Don’t have a lot of time to review daily camp stuff but he looked fine to me in the games and he’s hard to tackle.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

The Chargers COULD have selected OT Bruce Matthews (Oilers), or OT Jimbo Covert (Bears) with that pick. Both are Hall of Famers, and the Bolts' O-line at the time of the draft was composed of three ancient veterans-- Doug Wilkerson (13th year), Ed White (14th year), Russ Washington(15th) -- along with Billy Shields (8th) and Don Macek (7th). Washington 'retired' at the end of camp, presumably to avoid the indignity of being cut.

The rumor was that Don Coryell was so fiercely loyal to these vets that he failed to acquire timely replacements for them. It was a massively costly miscalculation.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

9:45... omg
                    If you watch Unforgivable Blackness: The Jack Johnson story, Stanley Crouch observes that what makes some athletes 'iconoclasts' is their ability to make the incredibly difficult, look easy. That was Jack Johnson. There is a degree of truth there about Justin Herbert's god-given abilities as well.

Comment

• colorado
                      Fan since '62
                      • Jun 2023
                      • Desert Rat
                      • Nothing but time on my hands
                      • Send PM

The Chargers COULD have selected OT Bruce Matthews (Oilers), or OT Jimbo Covert (Bears) with that pick. Both are Hall of Famers, and the Bolts' O-line at the time of the draft was composed of three ancient veterans-- Doug Wilkerson (13th year), Ed White (14th year), Russ Washington(15th) -- along with Billy Shields (8th) and Don Macek (7th). Washington 'retired' at the end of camp, presumably to avoid the indignity of being cut.

The rumor was that Don Coryell was so fiercely loyal to these vets that he failed to acquire timely replacements for them. It was a massively costly miscalculation.
                      When I was 17 Russ Washington lived in some apartments at that time off of Zion and Misson Gorge Road in Allied Gardens. My next door neighbor and I use to go to the apartment building to play pool with Russ. He was one hell of a nice guy. Told us when we got bored to come on over and we'd play pool. He at that time was rooming with Art Strosure, a tight end who ended up being traded to the Bengals.that summer. Man that was 1970. Washington was a big dude. I was in heaven, a San Diego Charger invited us over to play pool. The good old days

The Boll Weevil on Mission Gorge Road was a hang out for Charger players after practice. I was too young to go in there by myself but my dad went in there a couple times and told me that.

Happiness is being a DOT INNOVATOR

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

One of the reasons they drafted him was he "cheated" in his workout with the Chargers. One of the knocks on him was he was not that fast, so in his workout with the Chargers they wanted to time him. Since that was so long ago scouts timed players by hand with stopwatches. BR went down to the goal line and the scout walked up to the 40 yard line. While he was walking, BR snuck up to the 5 yard line and the scout did not notice. He ran his "40" time much faster than he ever had before and we drafted him.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

One of the reasons they drafted him was he "cheated" in his workout with the Chargers. One of the knocks on him was he was not that fast, so in his workout with the Chargers they wanted to time him. Since that was so long ago scouts timed players by hand with stopwatches. BR went down to the goal line and the scout walked up to the 40 yard line. While he was walking, BR snuck up to the 5 yard line and the scout did not notice. He ran his "40" time much faster than he ever had before and we drafted him.
                          Great story.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X