• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

You'll have to watch the presser yourself... but basically he's saying that they have to anticipate what each team in front of them will do... and have a plan for each scenario.

He was not trying to predict what each team would do... which is what some people were trying to suggest.
    Okay, I got you - it makes sense.

Its beyond annoying that people don't attempt to accurately convey what others say.
    I would have listened to it, but the link didn't take me to his presser, just the tweet.

You have to be careful that tweets don't come from idiots with agendas, but who has the time?

Comment

• Chargers8491
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

It's kind of funny people are saying that the Chargers won't sign many if not any Michigan players yet the Chargers all off season have been signing former Ravens and Michigan players. They are signing players that they are familiar with and who are familiar with what the Chargers are going to do on offense and defense. It kinda makes since they continue the theme with the draft. I guess we will see.
      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
      3a- #66 Puni OT
      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
      4a- #105 Rice WR
      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
      5- #140 Green CB
      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
        Interesting article on NFL.com that highlighted 3 trade up scenarios. Using the Jimmy Johnson points chart they showed 3 "premiums" paid by teams jumping into the top 10. The NY Giants jumped to 3 and paid a 21% premium according to the chart. The Jets moved from 10 to 7 and paid a 14% premium to the titans for the honor. Last they had KC jump to 9 (to get Bowers) and they ponied up a 22% premium according to the JJ chart.

I found this very interesting as I had just read an article on Hortiz stating that it would take more than a "fair trade" to move out of 5. "They have to make it attractive for us" was his quoted statement. I love what he is doing there by greasing the skids so to speak for any team(s) that wants to make an offer. To me it's a succinct go big or don't call message to anyone wanting 5. It is so refreshing to feel like we have the right guy in that job and he is playing by his rules. I cannot wait to see what the next week brings.
        Agreed.
        "I'm the one who picks the player," Hortiz said. "But when I tell you it's a collaborative process, it's a collaborative process. "I put the list together based on what we do. That's scouting, that's coaching, that's talking to Jim. I'm the one who ranks them and calls them … but it is a collaborative process."

Vs what previous GM said just last year.....
        "I guess, we like to 'zig' while others 'zag.' We're always open to any options, up or down," Telesco said. "There's no philosophy on that." "I've never been part of a draft where we looked at our football team and said, 'Boy, we are so loaded on both sides of the ball and on special teams that we don't need any depth.'

At least he was honest about never building a football team with depth. I never heard Tom say he ranks and picks them based after the collaboration. It was always a team choice at each pick. Hortiz is owning the job. He is GM, he makes the call on the pick. Johnny Spanos job.... hold his beer.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

lol, you don't think we can do subtle here? Idunno - I have a lot of faith in our crew ...that boundless optimism of mine. its coming, I can feel it!

Oh joy . . . . . . . . . .. . . . .

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
            It's kind of funny people are saying that the Chargers won't sign many if not any Michigan players yet the Chargers all off season have been signing former Ravens and Michigan players. They are signing players that they are familiar with and who are familiar with what the Chargers are going to do on offense and defense. It kinda makes since they continue the theme with the draft. I guess we will see.
            If for example Zinter is there in round 4 or so, I would like us to beef up our IOL depth...plus, he's totally familiar with Harbo's schemes...

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

lol, you don't think we can do subtle here? Idunno - I have a lot of faith in our crew ...that boundless optimism of mine. its coming, I can feel it!
              In other words, THE FLIP IS ALREADY HAPPENING!!!

Comment

• Chargers8491
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If for example Zinter is there in round 4 or so, I would like us to beef up our IOL depth...plus, he's totally familiar with Harbo's schemes...
                I think this where we might see a lot of Michigan players end up on the Chargers. O-line, TE, and LB could be late rnd Michigan players.
                1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                3a- #66 Puni OT
                3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                4a- #105 Rice WR
                4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                5- #140 Green CB
                6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Agreed.
                  "I'm the one who picks the player," Hortiz said. "But when I tell you it's a collaborative process, it's a collaborative process. "I put the list together based on what we do. That's scouting, that's coaching, that's talking to Jim. I'm the one who ranks them and calls them … but it is a collaborative process."

Vs what previous GM said just last year.....
                  "I guess, we like to 'zig' while others 'zag.' We're always open to any options, up or down," Telesco said. "There's no philosophy on that." "I've never been part of a draft where we looked at our football team and said, 'Boy, we are so loaded on both sides of the ball and on special teams that we don't need any depth.'

At least he was honest about never building a football team with depth. I never heard Tom say he ranks and picks them based after the collaboration. It was always a team choice at each pick. Hortiz is owning the job. He is GM, he makes the call on the pick. Johnny Spanos job.... hold his beer.
                  Yeah, right TT...u NEVER traded down in 10 years...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yeah, right TT...u NEVER traded down in 10 years...
                    we like to 'zig' while others 'zag.'
                    He sure did ...
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• HB Chargers
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2023
                      • Send PM

Would you trade idea. Cincy is going to have to PAY Chase soon and has Higgins on the franchise tag now. He is going to get paid as well, so Cincy would likely love to get a cheap, cost-controlled replacement. They could get a good receiver at #18, but if they wanted to swing for the fences on the top 3, would you take: #18, Higgins, plus one more good pick (2nd this year or first next) for #5?

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The scout did not mention Arnold's name. He said, "When he was manned up he struggled." Nabers was also matched up against Kool-Aid a couple of times and did hardly anything.

Struggled may be too strong of a word, but I think productive on your part is, as well.
                        Nabers did most of his damage against Alabama from the slot. He matched up against Arnold on a handful of plays. Made two receptions. One
                        was a short catch and Arnold had him well covered. The other was a much deeper sideline catch where Nabers made a pretty good catch.
                        Nabers was almost never matched up with Kool Aid in that game. Kool Aid was busy with Thomas.

Nabers major production throughout the year was in the slot where he is almost not coverable. From there he will burn the best CBs as it gives
                        him moves he can make inside or out. That's why Alabama played him in zone, which was not successful. On the outside Nabers can still beat
                        you deep due to his speed. But the sidelines tend to limit what he can do against the better CBs.

To say he's not a top 10 guy in the draft is naive. He's just a different player than MH2 or Odunze.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by HB Chargers View Post
                          Would you trade idea. Cincy is going to have to PAY Chase soon and has Higgins on the franchise tag now. He is going to get paid as well, so Cincy would likely love to get a cheap, cost-controlled replacement. They could get a good receiver at #18, but if they wanted to swing for the fences on the top 3, would you take: #18, Higgins, plus one more good pick (2nd this year or first next) for #5?
                          There’s a lot of chatter about Higgins being traded on Thursday night…

Comment

Working...
                          X