• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Not if yer a Roman building his legion for an overwhelming ground game...
    Advance the phalanx...the enemy lines are crumbling.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Not if that's where they have him ranked.

He is arguably as good or better than Alt. Nobody would call it a reach IMO. Never too high to take quality beef.
      ​​​​
      ​​​​
      Good point. If they have him ranked as a top 2 non QB on their draft board - its not a reach.

This draft is really easy for the Chargers

1) if 4 QBs go - they get the best non QB
      2) if 3 QBs go in the top 4, they get their first or second best non QB
      3) they can trade back

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I don’t see a lot of draftniks saying Latham is the 1 or 2 OT. I see a lot of draftniks saying that because he’s really a RT and can play LT (hypothetically) he’s good value as a OT.
        LAC dont need a LT. They obviously see Latham as a RT. Its really hard to believe that Latham is the 5th best player in this draft and at RT no less…
        Thats a really hard sell, man…

Positional value is really going to be pushed hard if they take Latham at 5 cause it’s simply a reach.
        Well, Phil Simms has Latham ranked at #1 OT: https://www.nbcsports.com/watch/nfl/...e-alt-for-no-1

And these guys have Latham as #3 OT, but #1 RT:

image.png
        Offensive Tackle s prospect rankings for the 2024 NFL Draft. Breakdowns of the best Offensive Tackle prospects and averages of other scouting reports.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Joe Hortiz is going to pick BPA every time.
          He won't go PON because you are never 1 player away.
          ​​​​​I believe him when he says he doesn't want fair value because he is staring at a good player.

3QBs will be gone in top 4 picks.
          ​​​​So Joe will be staring at top 1-2 prospect.
          Who are the Chargers top 2?
          Its been MHJ and Alt for me all offseason and it hasn't changed. But does Joe Hortiz who ranks and picks them have the same top 2 as me. We shall see.....

If he does trade out, then I'm expecting him to get a great return. Like 11, 23, 2025 1st. 3 first Rd picks at least to move because he will be moving away from a top 2 player.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Jack Burton
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2023
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, Phil Simms has Latham ranked at #1 OT: https://www.nbcsports.com/watch/nfl/...e-alt-for-no-1

And these guys have Latham as #3 OT, but #1 RT:

image.png
            https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/OT/1/2024
            Yeah, there’s a lot of folks with opinions.
            I’m not saying that you need to go search for someone who agrees with taking Latham.

He’s a RT. He’s a RT with the Chargers FO.
            That’s a really hard sell to take a RT at 5.
            I’m having a real hard time believing that the FO thinks Latham at RT is the 5th best player in this draft.

This seems more like we have a “need” and we’re filling it here.
            Which historically is not what BALT does.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Yep, I think some fans are still having a hard time embracing this new identity on offense. We are NOT going to be a high flying offense. It will be grind it out, methodical, with some play action mixed in. Expect a lot of games where Herbert only throws 20 passes. And that's fine. Less chances for hero ball = less chances for mistakes. But we need to be built for it. And guys like Nabers and Bowers do nothing for that.

It will be boring and frustrating in the regular season, but it will pay off in January.
              Yep...I'd rather have Herbie throwing it 20 times a game, using a lot of play action, than throwing it 40 times a game, while dropping back and getting hurried, hit and sacked repeatedly...and hurt...no thanks, give me the Roman Legion Ground Game that keeps the enemy on their heels...

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Yeah, there’s a lot of folks with opinions.
                I’m not saying that you need to go search for someone who agrees with taking Latham.

He’s a RT. He’s a RT with the Chargers FO.
                That’s a really hard sell to take a RT at 5.
                I’m having a real hard time believing that the FO thinks Latham at RT is the 5th best player in this draft.

This seems more like we have a “need” and we’re filling it here.
                Which historically is not what BALT does.

Hard sell for whom? The fans and their irrelevant draft boards? I don't think Hortiz or Harbaugh care about that one bit.

Outside of MHjr, I think it is very realistic that they have Alt or Latham ranked as their top players. And I firmly believe one of those guys will be the pick. A lot of reasons to like Latham over Alt, as well.

They are going to make this team in their image, and a finesse player at #5 is not what we are about. Not anymore.
                ​​
                ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Advance the phalanx...the enemy lines are crumbling.
                  The Roman Phalanx Ground Game is about to be unleashed!

image.png

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Its very possible that one well respected draftnik pulled the Latham selection out of his ass, and then a lot of minnows followed suite.
                    think Zierlein was the first to raise that flag, as he has Latham noticeably ahead of the other tackles....
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Hard sell for whom? The fans and their irrelevant draft boards? I don't think Hortiz or Harbaugh care about that one bit.

Outside of MHjr, I think it is very realistic that they have Alt or Latham ranked as their top players. And I firmly believe one of those guys will be the pick. A lot of reasons to like Latham over Alt, as well.

They are going to make this team in their image, and a finesse player at #5 is not what we are about. Not anymore.
                      And if they do - totally 100% on board with the pick. I still a trade back with the Giants might happen if three QBs go, and "Rickey" the guy Xenos linked me too thinks the Patriots are going McCarthy at 3 or they trade back. so McCarthy is the pick at 3. Cardinals take MHJr - Chargers can trade back to MN if they want Maye

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Has anybody linked Bowers to the Chargers? Been pretty quiet on that front actually

If you are telling me the choice isn't WR at 5 - to me it should be Bowers
                        Joel Klatt did, but only after a trade down.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2023
                          • Send PM

That’s a touching story, but i still see this as a need pick as a RT at 5 in this draft and not BPA.
                          Ive also never heard or read the term “finesse” used when describing Bowers, Odunze, Alt, Mitchell, Arnold, Harrison, Turner, Murphy, Latu, Verse.

Ive never seen “finesse” player used for them….

Comment

Working...
                          X