• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Like I said, I think he is a great fit. But for the coming year it looks like we are set at TE. If we didn't have so many needs it would be a different
    story. But it looks to me like Hortiz is making the best he can from FA to fill in areas that are weak. Of course it's not out of the question.
    But I'm guessing if we trade down don't be surprised if the first guy taken is on D, not O, depending on how far back we trade. We have a
    glaring need at outside CB, not the slot where Assante fits. DT and even Edge is a possibility if our board fits BPA when we pick.
    Set? yeah, IDK about that, Hurst had a high grade concussion last season, IDK but I think he might not even make it out of TC...The Chargers were really careful bringing back Parham when he got hurt and missed a ton of time, I'm not putting anything in the Hurst signing, he go a small salary because he's still getting paid by Carolina to me it just says that the dude is not ready to retire and the Chargers' GM is giving the guy a chance to stick on the roster this year to see if he can make it back from his head injury...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

It's interesting looking at it that way, at least in terms of how much he would see the field in year one, Bowers would be a huge value for sure and not just on passing plays as you have pointed out he is okay blocking on the outside and can also run with it...
      Thinking in terms of Greg Roman/Harbaugh and their offenses and what they like to do, Bowers is the perfect offensive weapon to me. Because he’s elite at getting open, pass catching and breaking tackles, but he’s also just a plain good blocking-FB-run scheme, volume player. You are getting your money’s worth with him. You can build entire 12 - 15 play drives as an
      O-coordinator with Bowers as the centerpiece of that whole drive. I also think, and these are just my opinions that they value Odunze similarly. In that he’s a boundary, 1 on 1 matchup nightmare who can play and dominate anywhere you put him, but represents a real pass catching nightmare outside who’s also a really good blocker downfield. Think run game. Not as versatile but a dominant WR in the mold Roman ideally would want but might not be able to always get for his offense.

I also notice that neither player has ever really been of much discussion by the FO. It’s all talk about o line….
      As a matter of fact, this FO hasn’t really talked up any of the offensive players at all….

I find that kinda odd….

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Chargers already made 2 moves at TE. Nothing is for sure, but it looks to me as if Bowers is off the table. I do think he's a great fit,
        but Bowers to the Chargers looks unlikely.
        I wouldnt say that. We signed a blocking TE and another who is 30 to a 1 year deal who has had injury concerns. Hurst can play inline TE spliting with Bowers and Bowers can be split in the slot, with the other two in the game as well..... among other things. The thing to remember here is Bowers is NOT just a typical TE. Who you want as TE #4? Parham or Dissly? All our TEs will get a good amount playing time and Parham is weak as a blocker and really isnt a good fit. Do we keep 5 TEs? Is Parham PS elligible? Or he can be inactive...he is cheap. Dont think we keep 5.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Thinking in terms of Greg Roman/Harbaugh and their offenses and what they like to do, Bowers is the perfect offensive weapon to me. Because he’s elite at getting open, pass catching and breaking tackles, but he’s also just a plain good blocking-FB-run scheme, volume player. You are getting your money’s worth with him. You can build entire 12 - 15 play drives as an
          O-coordinator with Bowers as the centerpiece of that whole drive. I also think, and these are just my opinions that they value Odunze similarly. In that he’s a boundary, 1 on 1 matchup nightmare who can play and dominate anywhere you put him, but represents a real pass catching nightmare outside who’s also a really good blocker downfield. Think run game. Not as versatile but a dominant WR in the mold Roman ideally would want but might not be able to always get for his offense.

I also notice that neither player has ever really been of much discussion by the FO. It’s all talk about o line….
          As a matter of fact, this FO hasn’t really talked up any of the offensive players at all….

I find that kinda odd….
          So that claim that Hortiz said Nabers was the best receiver he'd ever scouted turned out to be bullshit?

they are going to keep it under wraps, whatever their plan is they have done a good job of adding to the roster in a way that doesn't make any pick too obvious and the one that seems really obvious is WR and that they might use that as a diversion considering how deep the WR group is this year...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Jack Burton
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2023
            • Send PM

Like I said, I think he is a great fit. But for the coming year it looks like we are set at TE. If we didn't have so many needs it would be a different
            story. But it looks to me like Hortiz is making the best he can from FA to fill in areas that are weak. Of course it's not out of the question.
            But I'm guessing if we trade down don't be surprised if the first guy taken is on D, not O, depending on how far back we trade. We have a
            glaring need at outside CB, not the slot where Assante fits. DT and even Edge is a possibility if our board fits BPA when we pick.
            I would also take this into account when looking at this draft.
            No one currently in the NFL knows these college players better than Harbaugh. No one.
            He just spent 10 years of his life sitting at kitchen tables, selling Michigan to these college kids. He knows these kids like the back of his hand. He’s watched more tape on all of these guys than anyone for years. He knows who’s actually good and he knows who the real sleepers are.
            Pete Carroll did this his 1st year in SEA. He built the Legion Of Boom and took his franchise QB in the middle- late rounds of those 1st couple drafts, and everyone was saying, “WTF is this guy doing?!?!”
            He knew those kids so well from recruiting them and watching endless tape on them that he wasn’t one step ahead of everyone else, he was 5 steps ahead.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Now HERE'S a classic TT move that could happen: Golden Domer Audric Estime is projected by most draftniks to go in rounds 3-4...I wouldn't be surprised to see TT move up for him near the top of ROUND 2...and cough up #44, #112 and next year's 4th rounder...the Cheatriots would easily do that deal at #34...

image.png
              TT hasnt drafted a Domer since Gilman so that guy who was his bad informant about ND players probably isnt there anymore.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I wouldnt say that. We signed a blocking TE and another who is 30 to a 1 year deal who has had injury concerns. Hurst can play inline TE spliting with Bowers and Bowers can be split in the slot, with the other two in the game as well..... among other things. The thing to remember here is Bowers is NOT just a typical TE. Who you want as TE #4? Parham or Dissly? All our TEs will get a good amount playing time and Parham is weak as a blocker and really isnt a good fit. Do we keep 5 TEs? Is Parham PS elligible? Or he can be inactive...he is cheap. Dont think we keep 5.
                I happen to think Parham is an underrated blocker, I guess we see that differently, Bowers, Hurst, Disney, and Parham sounds pretty good to me, who am I forgetting? you said 5 but I only see 4 in that scenario...

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

It's not about the fit. It's about all our other needs. Look at it this way. If we stay at #5 the pick should be MH2 or Nabers. Why? They are BPA and
                  at a position of need. If we trade down it depends on how far down. But now you have to consider the D side of the ball. We need more on that
                  side than we do on offense. If @11 who is BPA that is still on the board? This is the big question and we don't know and I don't think it will
                  be Bowers for two reasons.
                  1. He probably will not make it past the Jets
                  2. We are now in the territory of D guys, which we need a lot of help on.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I would also take this into account when looking at this draft.
                    No one currently in the NFL knows these college players better than Harbaugh. No one.
                    He just spent 10 years of his life sitting at kitchen tables, selling Michigan to these college kids. He knows these kids like the back of his hand. He’s watched more tape on all of these guys than anyone for years. He knows who’s actually good and he knows who the real sleepers are.
                    Pete Carroll did this his 1st year in SEA. He built the Legion Of Boom and took his franchise QB in the middle- late rounds of those 1st couple drafts, and everyone was saying, “WTF is this guy doing?!?!”
                    He knew those kids so well from recruiting them and watching endless tape on them that he wasn’t one step ahead of everyone else, he was 5 steps ahead.
                    Good call out on Carroll and you can add Jimmy Johnson the same coming from "The U" to Dallas.

Harbaugh has been watching many of these players for 6 to 7 years; been in their homes, met the families

Hortiz is running the draft but Harbaugh is going to have input.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I happen to think Parham is an underrated blocker, I guess we see that differently, Bowers, Hurst, Disney, and Parham sounds pretty good to me, who am I forgetting? you said 5 but I only see 4 in that scenario...
                      I guess i counted wrong...you are right thats 4. Not sure who i was thinking of lol.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

TT hasnt drafted a Domer since Gilman so that guy who was his bad informant about ND players probably isnt there anymore.
                        Maybe TT was his OWN bad informant...remember, TT attended John Carroll University, a Catholic school just down the road from Notre Dame, the ultimate Catholic school...I'm guessing he's had a soft spot for Golden Domers from way back...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

It's not about the fit. It's about all our other needs. Look at it this way. If we stay at #5 the pick should be MH2 or Nabers. Why? They are BPA and
                          at a position of need. If we trade down it depends on how far down. But now you have to consider the D side of the ball. We need more on that
                          side than we do on offense. If @11 who is BPA that is still on the board? This is the big question and we don't know and I don't think it will
                          be Bowers for two reasons.
                          1. He probably will not make it past the Jets
                          2. We are now in the territory of D guys, which we need a lot of help on.
                          We have Palmer and QJ and Davis...how is that more a need than TE with Dissly and Hurst in a TE oriented offense? At least the WRS are younger...and QJ is an up and comer.

Comment

Working...
                          X