• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I *hope* he doesn't consider a trade with the Broncos or Raiders (or Chiefs, for that matter). Why accommodate a division rival by giving them what they want? Now, having said that, if one of them throws a "Ricky Williams"-type trade offer, I suppose that might be a different story. But I strongly doubt that will happen.
    QB desparation can drive GMs to madness.
    Pounce on that.
    I agree that we should only do this if very advantageous.
    Joe might think about doing it, whereas previously it has been a cardinal rule to never do it.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

Fascinating scenario and one that I think would work really well for us. One question, you have both AZ and LAC with the 105th pick? Is that pick changing hands in this scenario, what am I missing?
      My bad. AZ has 104 of the 4th.
      LAC would have 105-110

Comment

• Chargers8491
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I just do not see Harbaugh-Hortiz trading 5 to a divisional rival. Neither division team has what AZ-MIN can offer. And to go get that they would need to get even more to out bid AZ-MIN.
        Nothing short of ownership of the team trading up would be acceptable.
        Harbaugh would never trade McCarthy to a divisional rival. He would never take that chance of looking like a fool to start his coaching career with the Chargers.
        Just to be clear I'm not suggesting the Raiders/Broncos trading back with us. I should have typed 6-10 and this is after the Chargers trade back to #11. I to doubt very seriously that the Chargers will trade the #5 to a division rival. It would take an epic offer for me to even consider it.
        1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
        2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
        2b- #37 Jenkins DT
        3a- #66 Puni OT
        3b- #69 Sainristill CB
        4a- #105 Rice WR
        4b- #110 Lloyd RB
        5- #140 Green CB
        6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Chargers8491
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, so to add these to rounds 5-7, we end up with a TOTAL of 11 picks! Sweet!:

image.png
          I think that has been the plan all along.
          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
          3a- #66 Puni OT
          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
          4a- #105 Rice WR
          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
          5- #140 Green CB
          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Jack Burton
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2023
            • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I think Denver certainly does. If they offer 2024, 2025, and 2026 1st rounders for number 5, I'm jumping at that. Look at Denver's roster and tell me they are finishing outside the top 10 picks in either of the next two drafts. Nothing is for sure, but I really like the odds of Denver being very bad for a few more seasons. The Bolts could be trading back again next year and the year after with other QB needy teams picking up several extra top 100 picks each year.
            I just don’t think Harbaugh is going to chance looking like an idiot for trading the QB he won a National championship with to a divisional rival. If Payton can do what he seems to do with almost all the QBs hes ever coached that’s gonna be a huge mistake regardless of future 1s.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

It's like giving your 5 and 37 and receiving 11-27-35-90-110.
              Is it enough ?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

I think that has been the plan all along.
                If the Chargers can get 11, 27 and another 3rd rounder for moving from 5 to 11, plus the pick swap - I wouldn't be opposed at all.

7 picks in the top 110 is how you rebuild

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

QB desparation can drive GMs to madness.
                  Pounce on that.
                  I agree that we should only do this if very advantageous.
                  Joe might think about doing it, whereas previously it has been a cardinal rule to never do it.

And especially don’t do it with Sean Payton.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                    It's like giving your 5 and 37 and receiving 11-27-35-90-110.
                    Is it enough ?
                    110 was from the Bears

But I think 11/27/35/90 for 5/37 is pretty good value for the Chargers

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

IMHO, the Chargers are likely going to either trade out with the Vikings for #11 and #23 or they will trade back with the Cards for #11 and #27. I believe there will other draft picks involved just not sure what exactly.

1) At #11 I like Bowers if he is there. I still think he is a really good fit for our offense. If he's not there then Fuaga OT, Odunze WR, Latham OT, Arnold CB.

2) At #23 or #27 I like Fautanu OT, Mims OT, Guyton OT, Morgan OT, Sumatia OT, Dejean CB, McKinstry CB, Coop ILB, Jenkins DT, Thomas WR,

I add some other picks @ #23 OR #27 because they could take an OT depending on who is taking before them. The thing with the OTs is that it's loaded with really good talent, and I have no idea how the Chargers or other teams have them rated. The same can be said for WRs.

I'll also add I would like to see the Chargers come out of the draft with 2 CBs. Not only do they need solid starters, but they need depth.

I appreciate your response; and I think most of those guys fit what we're trying to do @the RT position. I will add that none of them are as physical in the run game as Fuaga. I like Mims a lot... I don't think he lasts until the #23 or #27 spot. I like Mims better than JC Latham (whom the Chargers spent time with @his Pro Day). If not for possible durability issues, Mims would be a Top-10 prospect IMO.

I think the bigger issue is the numerous holes on defense. @#23 spot, I see LB, DT, or CB as the target. That's where you start seeing value @defense. I think your list of guys (Cooper, McKinstry, DeJean) fit @#23. DT's Newton and Murphy fit here as well.

Personally, I'd wait for the #37 pick to address the DT position. That position is very good into the 3rd round IMO. I like Jenkins, Orhorohor, or Taylor @#37. DT's Fiske and McKinnley might be there @#69... but a big risk to wait that long. I feel Hortiz is looking for his next Madubuike in this draft.

With LB and DT taken care of with the #23 and #37 picks... the Chargers can get the best available CB @#69. I used to be a proponent of CB in the 1st round (way back when we were @middle 1st projection... before Minter @DC). With Minter @DC, I think we're looking for a zone coverage CB w/solid tackling skills. Obviously, Mike Sainsristil fits the defense. @#69, there are some other CB's I like, too.

The trade back to #11 and #23 just makes too much sense. @#11, the player that makes most sense to me is RT Fuaga. I would be happy with TE Bowers @#11, too. But I think Fuaga fits the "Run the ball better and protect the QB" philosophy best.

Unlike many here, I do not fear we need "elite playmakers". I believe an effective run game will lead to play-action opportunities for Herbert, JP, QJ, and the TE's. Herbert's best year was 2021 (when we actually ran the ball effectively @4.3 ypc). Plus, I like many of the WR's projected to go in the 4th round of this year's draft. I also like the TE's in the 4th and 5th rounds. I'm looking for Dalton Shultz, Isaiah Likely, and Jake Ferguson type players... guys that don't cost high draft picks but are very effective when used correctly within the correct system.

Comment

• eaterfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I just don’t think Harbaugh is going to chance looking like an idiot for trading the QB he won a National championship with to a divisional rival. If Payton can do what he seems to do with almost all the QBs hes ever coached that’s gonna be a huge mistake regardless of future 1s.
                        It's possible McCarthy is an absolute stud and Payton still has it.

I've seen enough really good prospects go to rosters with really bad talent and lacked the assets to improve the roster around the prospects. Fields, D'Arnold, Young are fairly recent examples. Not having the roster support can cripple good prospects and trading future high firsts can have organizations digging out of the problems for years. Messing this up could lead to Denver having to trade Surtain because he's going to be expensive and the timelines don't matchup like what we saw with Carolina and Burns or the Jets and Jamal Adams. I'm not saying this is a sure thing, but I think it's more likely than McCarthy being a top 8 QB in the NFL.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, so to add these to rounds 5-7, we end up with a TOTAL of 11 picks! Sweet!:

image.png
                          Remember too that there are a bunch of teams who probably really want to move back in the 3rd and 4th.
                          CAR is a team with no 1st and 2 2nds but I imagine with the crap roster they currently have would love to move back with that second, 2nd round pick. They need a mass of middle round picks to completely overhaul their roster. HOU, CAR, PHIL and WASH all have 2 2nd round picks…
                          So a team flush with 2 1’s, 2 3rds and 2 4ths who see a guy they covet in the 2nd round could trade a high 3rd and a 4th to them and get another 2nd.

This draft is the draft to rebuild a team. It’s so deep at so many key positions. QB, OT, C, CB, WR, EDGE are all super deep and there are really good DT’s, S, RB’s and G littered throughout as well but not as deep. The only position that’s not really great and not deep is LB and there’s still some good ones.

Comment

Working...
                          X