• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

why are you glossing over the fact that the old guys played almost the whole game? aside from K9, which under 25 guys in the front seven played more than a handful of snaps?
    Well, again i don't think 28 is old for a football player. I don't think 30 is old for a football player except for maybe a RB.
    Posters kept saying Keenan needed to go because he had a hamstring injury and was 30. Now we have early 20's guys out with hamstring injuries.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

We play a read-and-react scheme that asks a lot of the DL. The newer players have a lot of different techniques and it takes time for them to learn how to play the scheme. Older players do that more easily.
      yes that's really paid dividends

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

We play a read-and-react scheme that asks a lot of the DL. The newer players have a lot of different techniques and it takes time for them to learn how to play the scheme. Older players do that more easily.
        nobody is reading shit and nobody is doing anything easily on this defense...staley's over-engineered defensive scheme is garbage, period!
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Chargers vs. Chargering
          Banned
          • Sep 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And again, I don't think it DL is old either. Many young guys on it. DL wasn't the problem unless you are counting the Edge rushers. And only Mack is older and he played better than Bosa.
          Really? Johnson and SJD had ZERO tackles. And we have Dogshit backing them. Henley needs to bury Dogshit on the depth chart. Plus we need to use Tuli a lot more.

I agree with the other poster, why doesn't Staley use our younger guys more? I mean if Dallas kept Parsons under wraps as Staley wants to do, where would they be?

Staley is just like Nevin with the Angels. Both are shit. Must be something in the Orange County water.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers vs. Chargering View Post

Really? Johnson and SJD had ZERO tackles. And we have Dogshit backing them. Henley needs to bury Dogshit on the depth chart. Plus we need to use Tuli a lot more.

I agree with the other poster, why doesn't Staley use our younger guys more? I mean if Dallas kept Parsons under wraps as Staley wants to do, where would they be?

Staley is just like Nevin with the Angels. Both are shit. Must be something in the Orange County water.
            Yet they only had like 65 yards rushing, under 4 YPC. Who do you want him to use? Our 6th round rookie?
            Your username is uncreative.

Comment

• Chargers vs. Chargering
              Banned
              • Sep 2023
              • Send PM

Yet they only had like 65 yards rushing, under 4 YPC. Who do you want him to use? Our 6th round rookie?
              Your username is uncreative.

I was gonna go with QWERTY as my username but I didn't want use my bank account password.

So allowing 466 yards passing is good, but allowing 65 yards rushing is WAY better. I gotcha.

Staley logic at it's finest.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

our defense is populated by a bunch of overpaid older guys, why? because older guys give Staley comfort, they help him hide his insecurities as a HC and a DC, when I saw him go all mushy postgame over the performance that Mack had last year vs the raiders I had to cringe thinking how embarrassing that must've been not only for Mack but the rest of the defenders on the that defense...he said something like, "now you see it, I wanted all of you to see it" it was weird to say the least...
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Well, again i don't think 28 is old for a football player. I don't think 30 is old for a football player except for maybe a RB.
                  Posters kept saying Keenan needed to go because he had a hamstring injury and was 30. Now we have early 20's guys out with hamstring injuries.
                  not when the guy next to him is 23 and the the guy he rotates with is 25, but when the guy next to him is 32 and the guy that subs in for him is 29-30 then yes, you have too many "older" players playing too many minutes...and the thinking behind Staley's system is that it places higher demands on the D-line, all the more reason to either start or rotate in younger players regularly...yes, others have mention that other successful coaches have used older players to succeed but not by exclusively featuring them, but by sprinkling them in wisely, there is a difference...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers vs. Chargering View Post

I was gonna go with QWERTY as my username but I didn't want use my bank account password.

So allowing 466 yards passing is good, but allowing 65 yards rushing is WAY better. I gotcha.

Staley logic at it's finest.
                    Not what I meant but I'm going by your vague explanation.

What younger guys did you want him to use? Our backup younger Edge guy didn't suit up and we had to suit up a PS guy. Tuli played plenty and made one play I recall, and that was against a rushing play.

Who on the interior DL are you talking about? Give more examples ,hec any examples or explanation than just saying he should of played the younger guys because that's using NO logic.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Is the cause of the struggles on the defense because of the scheme or the players? This is very debatable.

Teams like the Eagles, 49ers, and Cowboys have success with their defense because they rotate the D linemen and divided the snaps among the players. Just having players and the depth isn't enough. ​

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

not when the guy next to him is 23 and the the guy he rotates with is 25, but when the guy next to him is 32 and the guy that subs in for him is 29-30 then yes, you have too many "older" players playing too many minutes...and the thinking behind Staley's system is that it places higher demands on the D-line, all the more reason to either start or rotate in younger players regularly...yes, others have mention that other successful coaches have used older players to succeed but not by exclusively featuring them, but by sprinkling them in wisely, there is a difference...
                      Staley doesn't put that much emphasis on DL. Furthermore, you need someone on your coaching staff who knows how to manage such thing and tell the HC what they need to do. I don't think we have anyone like that.

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                        the older guys outperformed the younger guys they replaced : Mack over Nwosu, Covington over Broughton and Fox over Tillery.

we can see the changes Staley made on the O-line and project him to make similar changes to D-line in 24-25. He has already started with Tuli and Matlock.
                        the big problem is TT for over a decade has only hit on obvious first round BPA's......... his picks after the 1st round obvious ones have been horrible...... not one pro bowler other then a few of the obvious first rounders..... (that even fans would have chosen...like Bosa, Herbert, Slater, Johnson, and James)....

The last 2 years, this team has drafted some young guys after first round who can play..... but Staley sticks with the old guys..... I thought there would be more rotating of the receivers, and DL, but not yesterday......

We drafted speedy receiversa and NEVER used them to help get more separation for MW and KA?....but no to that too.... instead we played most of our TE's..... which are a less talented group.....

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

the big problem is TT for over a decade has only hit on obvious first round BPA's......... his picks after the 1st round obvious ones have been horrible...... not one pro bowler other then a few of the obvious first rounders..... (that even fans would have chosen...like Bosa, Herbert, Slater, Johnson, and James)....

The last 2 years, this team has drafted some young guys after first round who can play..... but Staley sticks with the old guys..... I thought there would be more rotating of the receivers, and DL, but not yesterday......

We drafted speedy receiversa and NEVER used them to help get more separation for MW and KA?....but no to that too.... instead we played most of our TE's..... which are a less talented group.....
                          again, firing TT fixes nothing, not until the Spanos family removes themselves from football operations (unlikely) will we ever get a true measure of Tom and what he is capable of doing as a GM...getting rid of Telesco just means that they simply go looking for another yes man to replace him with...

Comment

Working...
                          X