• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Wow. That was definitely a shot. At Lombardi, or....?
    If I had to guess - it was a shot at 3 players (81. 97 and 27) and the coaching staff - not only Lombardi but Staley.

Newfound respect for Ekeler with that comment. Needed to be said and he said it

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
      Ekeler says it well here in this article... There is not a huge gap of talent in the league, consistency and timing is everything. Def some veiled swipes at Staley...

https://www.nfl.com/news/rb-austin-e...traight-up-inc
      AND football details.

The timeout Staley wasted by throwing a "blind red flag" on the Berrios reception was unfortunate.
      Brandon was guessing that it was not a catch. The replay video showed it was a catch-surely never reversable.

With three timeouts instead of two, the Chargers could have had a different mindset in the final drive. Herbert's Grounding penalty alone,then assured our defeat.

What really has me shaking my head is that there is no talk about Justin's critical unforced error. He is at the center of whether we win or lose.

I see too much talk, here and with punditry, about things that fit agendas, instead of what actually adds up to winning football.

It's bad play.
      It's bad coaching.

It's also costly errors.

Now go light it up Justin Herbert.
      Screw everything else.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

AND football details.

The timeout Staley wasted by throwing a "blind red flag" on the Berrios reception was unfortunate.
        Brandon was guessing that it was not a catch. The replay video showed it was a catch-surely never reversable.

With three timeouts instead of two, the Chargers could have had a different mindset in the final drive. Herbert's Grounding penalty alone,then assured our defeat.

What really has me shaking my head is that there is no talk about Justin's critical unforced error. He is at the center of whether we win or lose.

I see too much talk, here and with punditry, about things that fit agendas, instead of what actually adds up to winning football.

It's bad play.
        It's bad coaching.

It's also costly errors.

Screw everything else.
        Sounds familiar. Like Rivers at the end of his career? The dependence on the QB to bail out either a shitty defense, or a poor running game, or bad OL play and magically pull out the victory against all odds. Needs to be more of a team game, no? Herbie can't be expected to work magic and make up for deficiencies in other areas of the team all the time.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

AND football details.

It's bad play.
          It's bad coaching.

It's also costly errors.

Screw everything else.
          For the sake of argument - lets break it down to JC Jacksons two mental mistakes and Justin Herberts two mental mistakes. If JC Jackson doesn't make either of his; Herbert (probably) doesn't make his. Add in the fact that Staley admitted that Kelley also missed a key block on the grounding.

So I am fine with giving his share of the blame to Herbert along with the rest of the Oline as well that last drive. But Justin Herbert was not the reason the Chargers lost Sunday. Far from it. If blaming one singular person - it is JC Jackson. But more than one player, its terrible defense and a head coach who was outsmarted once again. You bring up the wasted challenge. That was a challenge from a head coach who was panicking and not in control. Visor McCoy did it all the time.

Comment

• AFboltfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2018
            • Balboa Park bench
            • Medical Simulation
            • Send PM

What really has me shaking my head is that there is no talk about Justin's critical unforced error.
            Consistency... Let Herbert make consistent unforced errors like that during the season and you can bet your wooden marbles that Herbert WILL get blamed.

Comment

• SK21209
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2020
              • San Diego
              • Send PM

QBs get away with that all the time. Sailing it out of bounds and claiming they were targeting the blocking/releasing RB. McDaniel really worked the refs to get that one.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Consistency... Let Herbert make consistent unforced errors like that during the season and you can bet your wooden marbles that Herbert WILL get blamed.
                Justin Herbert cannot make the errors that other QBs can make as the margin for error is very slim because the other side of the ball is so terrible (the defense in Herberts first 50 starts is bottom 10% of the league)

It is like last year in the KC game at home when he was "blamed" for not bringing them back to score at the end. You mean, after he did lead a drive to take the lead and the defense in like 6 plays gave up the go -ahead score so the Chargers were trailing again

So yes, I am a Justin Herbert apologist. Guilty as charged. But if other players did their job - maybe the Chargers are running out the clock there and not having the score

Even like JK Scott. I get he was punting with nominal room to punt but he choked against the Jags in the playoffs that combined with the botched end around cost the team 30 yards of field position that allowed the Jags to get not only points, but 7 instead of 3. Sunday, he had a 33 yard punt that gave the Fish great field position. AGain, partly because JC Jackson had a game that resembled how JR Smith played basketball. And partly because he choked.

And if you are going to blame Herbert for the grounding, blame Kelley for missing his assignment and the Oline for not doing their jobs as well. One series, man up and keep your damn blocks and give your QB a chance.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

QBs get away with that all the time. Sailing it out of bounds and claiming they were targeting the blocking/releasing RB. McDaniel really worked the refs to get that one.
                  And some have suggested the NFL office called into Sofi to tell the refs to "call grounding."

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

I love Herbert.

With all the shit that is true about the Chargers,
                    there are but two Herbert mistakes, in the past two games,
                    I would like to have back.

1. Vs Jville, Justin inexplicably overthrew a wide open Keenan in the end zone.
                    2. Vs Miami, Justin unbelievably did not throw the ball near Kelley's size 16 cleats.

Hopefully Kellen Moore will stay for years and Herbert will finally have consistency at Offensive Coordinator.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                      Chargers Hall of Fame
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

agree with this post, there is a lot of Depressium and bitchfestium on here, to go along with the Hopium.
                      Hopium lives in a fantasy world of what we want to have happen. Depressium lives in a world of reality, based on years of what happens week in and week out.

I'll live in reality until the Chargers finally turn things around. Then the two groups can join up and meet in the middle.

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Hopium lives in a fantasy world of what we want to have happen. Depressium lives in a world of reality, based on years of what happens week in and week out.

I'll live in reality until the Chargers finally turn things around. Then the two groups can join up and meet in the middle.
                        it was at the game sunday and it was a fricking disaster, I am not going to debate that. the problem is that this board becomes an insufferable bitchfest when we lose a game. I come here to see what other charger fans are thinking and discussing, both good and bad, but instead it is a whirlpool of complaints (coaches fired, players cut, etc.). I have had season tickets since 2002 - i am a fan for life, which includes a dash of hopium. that does not mean i am delusional to the shortcomings and disasters, but i can't "check out" just because we lost a game - the couch potatoes can go ahead and do that. in this board's defense, i think every team's board does the same thing. too many bandwagon guys on the internet. I am not talking about you - these are general statements. i am a fellow bay area bolt (santa clara).

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

it was at the game sunday and it was a fricking disaster, I am not going to debate that. the problem is that this board becomes an insufferable bitchfest when we lose a game. I come here to see what other charger fans are thinking and discussing, both good and bad, but instead it is a whirlpool of complaints (coaches fired, players cut, etc.). I have had season tickets since 2002 - i am a fan for life, which includes a dash of hopium. that does not mean i am delusional to the shortcomings and disasters, but i can't "check out" just because we lost a game - the couch potatoes can go ahead and do that. in this board's defense, i think every team's board does the same thing. too many bandwagon guys on the internet. I am not talking about you - these are general statements. i am a fellow bay area bolt (santa clara).
                          Well said.

Comment

Working...
                          X