Chargers (-1.5) vs Vikings Pregame Discussion (Wk 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eurobolt
    *** Jim Harbaugh ***
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Ekeler out wk2 and wk3 why should he be back for wk4 when we have bye wk5?

Bold prediction:
    Ekeler back wk6 to Staley free Chargers.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

With Ekeler officially out for this game, my cautious optimism has evolved to concerned pessimism. They missed Ekeler v the Titans. They couldn't run the ball and Ekeler is a big part of the passing game and he seems to be the only RB they trust to run a screen. After Kelley dropped the one pass Herbert threw to him last week, he didn't get another target. Kelley has proved to be a decent back up to Ekeler, but when tasked with being the #1 RB I don't know if he can cut it.

For this offense to work, they have to be able to throw to RBs, they need to have screens to the RBs in the repertoire. Spiller caught about 25 passes per season in his three years at A&M. Maybe they need to get him involved in screens, get him the ball in space and see what he can do. Because he has sucked as a between the tackles RB. I'm really unsure about Dotson. He as a nice preseason story against practice squad opponents. But he averaged 1.5 ypc against the Titans. He did catch a couple for 13 yds. So maybe he's the guy to execute screens. I don't know. But Moore needs to figure out how to get more out of the RBs without Ekeler. He can't just have Herbert throwing to WRs and TEs.

Speaking of WRs, this seems like a good game to start getting QJ more involved. He has to put on his big boy pants sooner or later and the team needs it to be sooner.

Comment

• AZBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

I think Staleys defensive scheme is flawed given the nature of the talent Chargers have….. I think Michael Davis and Samuel can cover well one on one. JC Jackson got injured and is not the player he once was so he probably can’t. So I would like to see more press coverage by Davis and Samuel for sure….. I don’t know what our safety Gilman does other than tackle runners and receivers 10 to 20 yards down the field …..even James seems to be out of position quite frequently, like the 70 yards past against Samuel. He decided to come up and cover Henry who was 3 yards past the line of scrimmage and already covered by a linebacker, WTF? leaving Samuel alone one on one for a 70 yard completion that was a terrible decision. Michael Davis actually had good coverage on the other long play but it was a perfect pass by Tannahill….But even then, where the hell are the safeties?

Tuli looks really good, and looking forward to see Henley in regular season too….But are DL is crap and Mack Is bringing no pressure off the edge….Bosa looks good playing part time hopefully he heals well…K9 had a pretty good game, but it could be He just matches up well with the Tennessee straightforward, offense and physicality…. Morgan fox does not appear to be a problem seems fairly solid.

Most of us feel the day should be better, but Staley schemes just don’t seem to work with this group and he’s clueless as to make. So it’s hard they have much confidence our D rmaking changes and adjustments and rising to the occasion.

and it seems to me that we have to include Davis as a receiver to stretch some defense until Guyton comes back, then both of them.. A little more utilization of two good tight ends in Parham and Everett….and roll Herbert more to throw deeper and run for first downs when the situation prevents itself , Herbert is totally capable
        Hope Ekeler is back soon that will really help.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          With Ekeler officially out for this game, my cautious optimism has evolved to concerned pessimism. They missed Ekeler v the Titans. They couldn't run the ball and Ekeler is a big part of the passing game and he seems to be the only RB they trust to run a screen. After Kelley dropped the one pass Herbert threw to him last week, he didn't get another target. Kelley has proved to be a decent back up to Ekeler, but when tasked with being the #1 RB I don't know if he can cut it.

For this offense to work, they have to be able to throw to RBs, they need to have screens to the RBs in the repertoire. Spiller caught about 25 passes per season in his three years at A&M. Maybe they need to get him involved in screens, get him the ball in space and see what he can do. Because he has sucked as a between the tackles RB. I'm really unsure about Dotson. He as a nice preseason story against practice squad opponents. But he averaged 1.5 ypc against the Titans. He did catch a couple for 13 yds. So maybe he's the guy to execute screens. I don't know. But Moore needs to figure out how to get more out of the RBs without Ekeler. He can't just have Herbert throwing to WRs and TEs.

Speaking of WRs, this seems like a good game to start getting QJ more involved. He has to put on his big boy pants sooner or later and the team needs it to be sooner.
          Totally agree - get him the ball. End arounds, screen passes - send him deep - get him involved already.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
            Ekeler out wk2 and wk3 why should he be back for wk4 when we have bye wk5?

Bold prediction:
            Ekeler back wk6 to Staley free Chargers.
            If he is ready to play, why sit him?

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Totally agree - get him the ball. End arounds, screen passes - send him deep - get him involved already.
              In two games, Vikes rookie Jordan Addison, who went two picks after QJ, has caught 7 of 11 targets for 133 yds and two TDs already.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

In two games, Vikes rookie Jordan Addison, who went two picks after QJ, has caught 7 of 11 targets for 133 yds and two TDs already.
                And there is that graphic of Mike Williams never being open if I read it right

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

This is absolutely time to give your first round pick a chance. Even though the offense has played pretty well, it is still lacking explosion that we see on the other side of the ball every week.

0-3 and season is all but over. Pull out the stops!

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Ekeler has an ankle injury and the best way to heal that is rest….and not standing on the sidelines all day watching a practice.

Cut the guy some slack. He doesn’t deserve fans casting aspersions on his character.
                    except he did yesterday.

what makes you think Cam Akers leaving the Rams had anything to do with his character?

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

And there is that graphic of Mike Williams never being open if I read it right
                      I don't think Mike Williams getting open is a problem. First, I could post video after video of him getting open for long gains/TDs. Second, he may be the most clutch contested ball catcher in the league. Third, in his last full season, 2021, he was 12th in receiving yards. Last season in limited action due to injury he had five games where he had near or more than 100 yds receiving. I'm not worried about Mike. He is a bona fide stud at WR capable of beating any DB in the league.

I was talking about getting our rookie WR involved so that in 3 WR sets the Chargers can't be covered.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

I don't think Mike Williams getting open is a problem. First, I could post video after video of him getting open for long gains/TDs. Second, he may be the most clutch contested ball catcher in the league. Third, in his last full season, 2021, he was 12th in receiving yards. Last season in limited action due to injury he had five games where he had near or more than 100 yds receiving. I'm not worried about Mike. He is a bona fide stud at WR capable of beating any DB in the league.

I was talking about getting our rookie WR involved so that in 3 WR sets the Chargers can't be covered.
                          It is a problem. It's not often he gets separation. The long passes are usually contested and MW is going to win those battles. Of course you can always find videos where
                          he's open and makes plays. But it's plays where he's nowhere to be seen that is an issue. You don't see those on the highlights. Last two games they took the long ball
                          away by double teaming him. Against the Titans he made a few good catches where he was open underneath the safety that was doubling. Good read by Herbert.

The big yardage in 2021 was due to Guyton being on the other side and Allen being a pain in the neck on short, intermediate routes. That combo breaks up the double
                          coverage leaving Williams one on one to the outside long ball. There are not to many DBs that are going to out jump/out hustle Williams on jump balls.

Comment

Working...
                          X