Raiders @ Chargers Official Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Wk 4)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post

Since the play for the time being is legal, I’m wondering why every team don’t copy that Eagles play when they need to get one yard
    Could be harder than you think, and Philly is unique in their OL and Hurt being smaller than other QBs.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
      I think some ppl wet dream would be as below:

HC Anthony Lynn
      OC Mike McCoy
      DC Brandon Staley

None of them should be a HC at NFL lvl. Brandon proved it multiple times (Raiders 4th and down, playing injuried Herbert, playing starters in meaningless game, 27-0, defence which is by bottom 3 in NFL and many more).

I have no confidence nor faith in Staley's team.

I have that feeling last 2 games other teams more lost it than we actually won...

Ask yourself if this a team you want to see going further after 3 offseasons of building?

For me it is easy no.
      No, right now I want Staley as HC and someone else calling plays like his DC Ainsley.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
        Wow we could’ve Drafted Devin Archain in the 1st round instead of Johnston he looks electrifying.

even more electrifying then Gibbs.
        I think people need to be more patient with high round draft picks. MW didn’t break out immediately his rookie season either. I think we see more of QJ soon because Herbert will learn to trust him more.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
          Next day bullet points...

Mack still has it...

Tuli still appears to be a steal in the second...

Herbert a little of at times, but his recievers werent helping...2 big plays Mdub would have made, left on the field...but Palmer finally gets one to seal it. Miss Mdub more than I thought...hopefully these guys can step up, build trust with Herbie..

Practice squad players playing both safety spots, no Bosa or Eke or Linsley...still, we played great first half...and then sleepwalked thru the second....I put that on Staley and Moore...gotta keep these players engaged, and stop the playcalling not to lose...ie vanilla back to back runs.

Miss Linsley badly...gotta be more inventive on short yardage...and move Herbert outta pocket even more, or get some help for the middle on pass pro.

Kelley prob never be more than a #2...Spiller cant break out...RB cant be ignored next offseason.

I think the season will ultimately hinge on Herbert developing chemistry and trust with the WR corp as it stands...I think the defense, if it stays healthy, will play better...at least "good enough"...but in the end, its gonna come down to coaching, and Herbie putting this team on his shoulders...

Cant believe Im happy we have a week 5 bye...turns out we need it...badly...couple of those guys might have been able to go...I think we gambled we could survive without them, and won....for once...
          It dawned on me we won’t have Linsley against the Cowboys and Chiefs 😩

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

LOL - So you agree with me now? I never said beating the Raiders makes Staley a great coach. I am still uncommitted on the future course recommendation for the team. what I DO say is its weird to fire a coach immediately after winning 2 games, which is the dominant prescription here in our forum/

Chiefs/Jets should have been a bigger cakewalk. We know that if we are honest. I offer compare and contrast examples in the hope that folks will realize this ain’t a madden game, it’s real men playing real football and real sometimes weird shit can happen in games that completely changes things. KC got lucky with ref cheating and huge Jets errors to sneak out a 3pt win. We all watched that game, KC was not better.

But here, guys chirp out “if we didn’t get 7 sacks, or a ‘lucky’ INT, our D was trash …” …. What? We DID get 7 sacks, we did strip him twice, we did set that dumb QB up for a INT and take his ball away. That was Staley’s D doing that, the D that we all saw get dismantled week 1. That is huge improvement, yards cut by over 50%, points cut by over 50%, but zero ack here of any improvement at all.

“yeah, but if we didn’t - …” … huh?
            You (and Jim) have convinced me that a win is in fact a win - no matter the circumstances, and KC won the game last night - lucky or not. The acceptance of this premise doesn't mean I put my brain on hold though. Our performance against the Raiders did nothing to convince me that we can beat the types of teams we'll need to in order to get to the playoffs and do some damage, which is my expectation.

IMO Staley's coaching is a significant contributing factor to our inability to win against good teams . . . . . . . . . . which we'll HAVE to do to achieve our goals. I'll admit that I have no clue (other than Harbaugh) who could replace him and improve our chances, but BS has run his course and proven what he's capable of. Squeaking out a win against a bad Raider team with a (6th round?) rookie QB starting his first NFL game does nothing to change my opinion of him . . . . . . . now if he can win against the Cowboys and KC that's a different matter.

He's not going to get fired during the season, but I'm expecting this team finishes with a lackluster record. Looking at the rest of the schedule it's highly likely they wont be better than .500, and that's not acceptable for a team with the talent they have . . . . . . . . . we'll see.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think people need to be more patient with high round draft picks. MW didn’t break out immediately his rookie season either. I think we see more of QJ soon because Herbert will learn to trust him more.
              MW was injured his rookie season.

Herbert will trust him when he makes catches he should make. He didn’t yesterday

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Herbert will trust him when he makes catches he should make. He didn’t yesterday
                Palmer dropped one earlier in the game right before INT. Now, we have no clue what the next play would have been but it wouldn't have been 3rd and long if Palmer makes the catch.

People said Herbert had a bad game. I watched that game - again, pass protection was spotty and receivers dropped I think 3 passes. Help a QB out already

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

ok, so for the record I would have punted. But I'm not freaked out going for it, and I'm not freaked out about a sneak from 1 yard. I just don't get sad when we win and I don't call to fire staff, cut players, burn the village down after victories. I do get sad so many here are virulently hateful after a win, but today is a new day, we all can come back reinvigorated at the next 3/4 of the season still to come.

Its obvious to me now what is going on with their 4th down calls - Staley and Moore are playing 4th Dim Chess and we think we're still staring at a parcheesi board. They knew they would win vs MIN and LV, they intentionally made those shit plays fail on purpose. Why, you ask? Great question, glad I'm here.

Because against KC, when it really matters, Herbie is gonna fake the dive handoff and hit his TE that leaked out in the flat ... the entire KC defense will be piled 11 high in the middle of the scrum and Smartt is gonna run 73 yards for a TD.

Fucking brilliant, eh?

People thought Galileo was crazy for a long time...just sayin'
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I recall one drop along the sideline, DB knocked it out but he needed to strong-hand it. Even great receivers don't make that catch every time.
                    The endzone pass was deflected.
                    He made one great catch an inch off the turf to bail Herbie out on an errant throw.

which other drops am I missing? I may not remember more?
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                      ok, so for the record I would have punted. But I'm not freaked out going for it, and I'm not freaked out about a sneak from 1 yard. I just don't get sad when we win and I don't call to fire staff, cut players, burn the village down after victories. I do get sad so many here are virulently hateful after a win, but today is a new day, we all can come back reinvigorated at the next 3/4 of the season still to come.

Its obvious to me now what is going on with their 4th down calls - Staley and Moore are playing 4th Dim Chess and we think we're still staring at a parcheesi board. They knew they would win vs MIN and LV, they intentionally made those shit plays fail on purpose. Why, you ask? Great question, glad I'm here.

Because against KC, when it really matters, Herbie is gonna fake the dive handoff and hit his TE that leaked out in the flat ... the entire KC defense will be piled 11 high in the middle of the scrum and Smartt is gonna run 73 yards for a TD.

Fucking brilliant, eh?

People thought Galileo was crazy for a long time...just sayin'

You're relentlessly optimistic - keep it up! You help provide balance in our crazy world . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        In 2017 Rivers had Keenan Allen and Tyrell Williams as No. 1 & 2. (Tyrell had 1059 yds/7 TDs in 2016). They didn't need Williams to be a major contributor as a rookie. It started that way for Johnston this year. But with Mike Williams gone there is no bona fide No. 2 WR now. Palmer maybe, but he looks more like a No. 3. They need a No. 2 WR to step up, or Keenan is going to get double-covered all the time like yesterday. QJ was a first round pick, other rookie WRs drafted way below him are contributing majorly. The Chargers need QJ to be more than a project.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          In 2017 Rivers had Keenan Allen and Tyrell Williams as No. 1 & 2. (Tyrell had 1059 yds/7 TDs in 2016). They didn't need Williams to be a major contributor as a rookie. It started that way for Johnston this year. But with Mike Williams gone there is no bona fide No. 2 WR now. Palmer maybe, but he looks more like a No. 3. They need a No. 2 WR to step up, or Keenan is going to get double-covered all the time like yesterday. QJ was a first round pick, other rookie WRs drafted way below him are contributing majorly. The Chargers need QJ to be more than a project.
                          We don’t have the luxury anymore of QJ being a developmental player. He needs to play like the top receiver in the draft

Comment

Working...
                          X