Raiders @ Chargers Official Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Wk 4)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

If that is the only thing that opened up then take it. The Raiders probably had the short stuff double covered
    Good point. You may be right. And Herbert had the confidence to hit it.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

He was there 14 years, made nine playoff appearances, five NFC Championship Games, and a Super Bowl. He was "run out of Philly" after a 4-12 season in 2012, with the thought being his time had run out in one city and the Eagles needed to hire the next great, innovative coach, which turned out to be Chip Kelly. All coaches look better when they have a Patrick Mahomes. Staley has Justin Herbert, and going into his third year he hasn't come close to reaching the success that Reid had with Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia.
      Oh another pretty damn good QB? Yes, that does help. But still, all that “success,” never quite close enough, and it was him not the players (according to Philly fans I’ve talked to) that was the negative difference-maker in those must win contests. I remember him best in green yelling at his own players from the sidelines when everything would go south in a big game, was always damn glad he wasn’t coaching in SD.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

LA Chargers outside linebacker Khalil Mack's best plays from his 6-sack game vs the Bolts' AFC West division rivals, the Las Vegas Raiders. Watch every one o...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

No I don't, but it's not hard to see he was an idiot on that play, just like Kirk Cousins was last week when he didn't spike the ball and get his team together for more structured shots at the end zone.

I don't think it's weird that some here are fed up with Staley, even after a win. If you see what's coming ahead in the future it's not hard to recognize that Staley's performances the last two weeks, even in wins, won't be good enough against the Cowboys, Chiefs, Ravens, and Lions (yes, they are good). It may not even be good enough against the Raiders the second time around (we split with them last year against McDaniel) or the Broncos at least once (we split with them in each of Staley's first two seasons against inferior coaches).

Staley needs to step it up and prove he's worthy of an extension. So far he has not. That's the reality of the situation.
          I definitely see a tougher road ahead. Its just my personality to not pre-bitch about future fears. I watch many teams look great one week and shit the next every week from week 1 thru to week 18 for usually no rhyme or reason. The fallacy that thinking if we had won yesterday by 17, that means we are solid for any future game, is just wrong imo. No point sweating that future like that, I just enjoy a win when we win, its much simpler and more enjoyable.

Its not like anything we are doing here has any effect on the team (fun poll: am I the only one that tells my wife "i am scouting for the coaches"? - she laughs at that one )

Ok - I'll try and justify my cheery sun-view again with two themes that combined prove the NFL is unexplainable and defies modeling that underpins most thinking in TPB. Below is why we should not overly assume relevance of any single result or manner of getting there, or margin:

Blowouts yesterday
          NE -32
          Dolphins -28
          Browns -25
          Steelers -24
          Cardinals -19
          Saints -17
          Falcons -16
          Packers -14

Squeakers that should not be close:
          Chiefs +3 (cheaters )
          Eagles +3 (OT)
          Chargers +7 ? - uh, no - we actually beat the spread

According to the theory of coach-caused loss - 8 teams lost by 2 TDs or more, there is no excuse for that according to Staley-watchers.

According to the theory of insufficient win margins, the Chiefs and Eagles are in bigger trouble than LAC. Both played hapless last-place-destined "horrible QB" teams, which is an excuse that dominated TPB all day yesterday for why the Chargers winning by 7 is really a loss.

Last week Denver gave up 70 points, and thats because Miami stopped trying to score.

This is the NFL, gentlemen. Any Given Sunday. 60 Minutes. No do-overs, split-second high speed blink-of-eye decisions, reactions, and results. Shit happens. I love you all - For yourselves, for your family, for your loved ones, I implore you. Please stop torturing yourselves with flawed linear calculations of what you think you know should happen vs what you can never know. Not one person in the world predicted Dolphins -28. No one predicted Chiefs by only 3 pts. on and on and ... on until forever. literally forever.

Chargers covered the spread. Everyone thinks their QB was shit, I think he throws better than Garoppolo. We don't know how the 2023 Chargers are going to turn out yet so I will remain positive and optimistic and I will cheer for my favorite team. And who knows, Staley is a mixed bag - he could further improve too.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

The bottom line for this team is the same as it was going into the season: They are not well coached. Staley continues to make head scratching decisions, the defense continues to be porous, and Moore's offense isn't lighting up the scoreboard like some here thought it would. Herbie seems to ALWAYS be under pressure; when was the last time he dropped back and had time to work through his progressions without a d-lineman right in his face (or having to run for his life)?

The only thing these last two weeks have done is saved Staley's job...for now. Classic Pyrrhic victory. 0-4 and I feel as if there would have at least been some talk about replacing him. Now, he's safe again. And that's definitely not a good thing.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I definitely see a tougher road ahead. Its just my personality to not pre-bitch about future fears. I watch many teams look great one week and shit the next every week from week 1 thru to week 18 for usually no rhyme or reason. The fallacy that thinking if we had won yesterday by 17, that means we are solid for any future game, is just wrong imo. No point sweating that future like that, I just enjoy a win when we win, its much simpler and more enjoyable.

Its not like anything we are doing here has any effect on the team (fun poll: am I the only one that tells my wife "i am scouting for the coaches"? - she laughs at that one )

Ok - I'll try and justify my cheery sun-view again with two themes that combined prove the NFL is unexplainable and defies modeling that underpins most thinking in TPB. Below is why we should not overly assume relevance of any single result or manner of getting there, or margin:

Blowouts yesterday
              NE -32
              Dolphins -28
              Browns -25
              Steelers -24
              Cardinals -19
              Saints -17
              Falcons -16
              Packers -14

Squeakers that should not be close:
              Chiefs +3 (cheaters )
              Eagles +3 (OT)
              Chargers +7 ? - uh, no - we actually beat the spread

According to the theory of coach-caused loss - 8 teams lost by 2 TDs or more, there is no excuse for that according to Staley-watchers.

According to the theory of insufficient win margins, the Chiefs and Eagles are in bigger trouble than LAC. Both played hapless last-place-destined "horrible QB" teams, which is an excuse that dominated TPB all day yesterday for why the Chargers winning by 7 is really a loss.

Last week Denver gave up 70 points, and thats because Miami stopped trying to score.

This is the NFL, gentlemen. Any Given Sunday. 60 Minutes. No do-overs, split-second high speed blink-of-eye decisions, reactions, and results. Shit happens. I love you all - For yourselves, for your family, for your loved ones, I implore you. Please stop torturing yourselves with flawed linear calculations of what you think you know should happen vs what you can never know. Not one person in the world predicted Dolphins -28. No one predicted Chiefs by only 3 pts. on and on and ... on until forever. literally forever.

Chargers covered the spread. Everyone thinks their QB was shit, I think he throws better than Garoppolo. We don't know how the 2023 Chargers are going to turn out yet so I will remain positive and optimistic and I will cheer for my favorite team. And who knows, Staley is a mixed bag - he could further improve too.
              We don't lose by 2 TDs, We lose by 3 or less points. We also win by 7 or less points. The big shocker was Miami losing by 28 and the Browns losing by 25. The rest of
              teams listed that lost have not been very good. No surprise that KC's game was so close. The Jets D is no joke and KC has been struggling on offense. Ditto the Eagles.

Not sure what theory you are going with. Chargers are losing games they could easily have won. That sometimes falls on coaching. Losing by 2 TDs and you probably
              had a bad day or you're not a very good team. NE, Cardinals, Steelers, Saints, Falcons, Packers are not very good teams. That leaves the Browns and Dolphins. Both
              played teams that are considered among the best in the AFC. Don't hold your breath but we play both the Bills and Ravens.

We have what appears to be a re- occuring problem on offense. Namely we crumble in the 2nd half. Happened last year in the POs against the Jags. Also yesterday.
              Failed against the Titans with many opportunities to put the game away. We cannot afford 2nd half letdowns with our crummy D and a very difficult schedule on tap.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

We don't lose by 2 TDs, We lose by 3 or less points. We also win by 7 or less points. The big shocker was Miami losing by 28 and the Browns losing by 25. The rest of
                teams listed that lost have not been very good. No surprise that KC's game was so close. The Jets D is no joke and KC has been struggling on offense. Ditto the Eagles.

Not sure what theory you are going with. Chargers are losing games they could easily have won. That sometimes falls on coaching. Losing by 2 TDs and you probably
                had a bad day or you're not a very good team. NE, Cardinals, Steelers, Saints, Falcons, Packers are not very good teams. That leaves the Browns and Dolphins. Both
                played teams that are considered among the best in the AFC. Don't hold your breath but we play both the Bills and Ravens.

We have what appears to be a re- occuring problem on offense. Namely we crumble in the 2nd half. Happened last year in the POs against the Jags. Also yesterday.
                Failed against the Titans with many opportunities to put the game away. We cannot afford 2nd half letdowns with our crummy D and a very difficult schedule on tap.
                the point i'm going for is the point I made. its not complicated. There is huge results variation all across the league every week everywhere. Micro-analysis of a single game performance as absolute universal truth is complete folly.

The Saints, Falcons, Packers and Steelers were all 2-1 before yesterday.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Oh another pretty damn good QB? Yes, that does help. But still, all that “success,” never quite close enough, and it was him not the players (according to Philly fans I’ve talked to) that was the negative difference-maker in those must win contests. I remember him best in green yelling at his own players from the sidelines when everything would go south in a big game, was always damn glad he wasn’t coaching in SD.
                  OK, yeah, Andy Reid was made by Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick in Philadelphia. Then he was made by Alex Smith and now Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City. Brandon Staley is the far superior coach to Andy Reid, who won't make the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Happy?

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

PFF is so weird sometimes. I’m glad for Clapp. But I’m not sure this is right.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

the point i'm going for is the point I made. its not complicated. There is huge results variation all across the league every week everywhere. Micro-analysis of a single game performance as absolute universal truth is complete folly.

The Saints, Falcons, Packers and Steelers were all 2-1 before yesterday.
                      Who did those teams play before yesterday?

Yet the results seem to always favor the better team. Of course variations will occur. The Dolphins are not putting up 70 points every week. of course they are not playing
                      Denver every week.

It's not folly if your defense stinks for four weeks in a row. That a problem that needs attention. So not micro-analysis of single game, but rather an alarming issue.
                      The same could be said of some other teams. Like for example the Jets offense. The Bears season, etc. Those are up to now truths, not micro-analysis of a single game.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        PFF is so weird sometimes. I’m glad for Clapp. But I’m not sure this is right.

Surprising. To say the least.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

Need some videos to believe it !

Comment

Working...
                          X