Clear All
  • TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

Rate the Starting Unit

Rate our Starters v AZ 8/24/13 pre season

Either something magical happened over the last ten days or the natural ebb and flow of a NFL football team has given us a false positive of our team.

Starters looked good on offense, I think mainly because of our tempo. Rivers stats were 'meh', but he managed well and lead at a pros-pro level. OL looked solid, Mathews had an A+ day until the fumble. tons of different pass catchers got work with the ones (none of them named Meachum).

The starting D showed some descent pressure, Front seven were solid and the corners need to tackle one/one better. JJ didn't look great on the edge. We benefited from some timely AZ offensive penalties.

Special Teams... Much better gents!

Coaching was great until we challenged a call that we won but benefited the other team.
    Last edited by TABF; 08-24-2013, 09:14 PM.
  • Buck
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Rivers looked like his old self.

RM had an A in my book until the fumble, which realistically should have been a turnover and in a regular season game I would drop his grade to a C for that, but he'd have the whole second half to make up for it.

O-Line, solid B

Tutu was our best WR

Gates had a solid game

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

I think we probably game planned a little bit. Special teams consist of starters. The general theme throughout the pre is that the running game looks to be addressed. The holes up the middle are there. They are running behind Fluker at the GL and thats paying off dividends. No clue why we didn't go back to that on the fumble. No need to launch Mathews every time we are on the GL. Run D looked a little sketchy but i think we are sending a lot of guys to get a pass rush developed. Selling out the Run D a little bit. Need Te'0 in there. I think we are headed in the right direction. I really liked the play-calling tonight other than that one goal line run.

If we can continue to run the ball...and take time off the clock...minimize Rivers attempts etc, we have a shot at doing some positive things this year.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Looked to me like we started mixing in some additional protection for some of the obvious passing situations. Looks more like what I think we'll see in the reg season.

That challenge was a total jobbing. Guess they were concerned the AZ fans would split and not buy more beers and stuff.

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

On offense our starters have managed just 10 points in about 4 quarters of play this PS. To me that ain't great. Mathews (an AJ bust) has been outstanding. If he can stay healthy then I think we can run the ball effectively. If he doesn't stay healthy we have some issues. The protection for Rivers is fine as long as we keep defenses off balance. If we get behind and opposing defenses can pin their ears back we are going to have problems.

On defense I don't think there is anyone on here who doesn't feel our starters are good. Where those of us part ways is when the issue comes to depth. We are paper thin nearly across the board of defense. English (yet another AJ bust) has looked good in PS. He is counted on heavily this year. I have to say that one should be concerned about how much yardage we gave up on the ground today. I don't think Denver is going to be as good running the ball this year (but they have a good QB) but KC is a team that can run the ball.

ST: We have had one good game against a team that looks to be poorly coached. The performance today comes after a completely abysmal performance last week. It is not unusual for a team to rebound in PS after something like that, just out of embarrassment.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Idle Question (Endless Debate Version): Who thinks depth isn't a problem?

Ready. Set. Go.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Roto:

Philip Rivers completed 10-of-18 passes for 71 yards and an interception in Saturday's preseason game against the Cardinals.
              Rivers averaged just 3.9 yards-per-attempt and completed the majority of his passes on short-to-intermediate throws. His interception came on a deflected pass to Jasper Brinkley and he finished with a brutal 41.7 quarterback rating. Through three preseason games, Rivers has completed 20-of-33 passes for 166 yards and two interceptions. He remains a mid
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                Roto:

Philip Rivers completed 10-of-18 passes for 71 yards and an interception in Saturday's preseason game against the Cardinals.
                Rivers averaged just 3.9 yards-per-attempt and completed the majority of his passes on short-to-intermediate throws. His interception came on a deflected pass to Jasper Brinkley and he finished with a brutal 41.7 quarterback rating. Through three preseason games, Rivers has completed 20-of-33 passes for 166 yards and two interceptions. He remains a mid
                Yeah? But what does PFF say???

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

King Dunlap leaves and Harris replaces him?

Not Starks?

Still don't think Max makes the team
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

PFF is crap but Rotoworld rocks.

I agree, Rivers is a mid.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                      Yeah? But what does PFF say???
                      Don't know.

I post multiple opinions from multiple sites. I don't fully agree with any one site.

Im not sure why PFF has become the source for all things football.

Certain "expert" posters used to use the football scientist in the same way. And for the most part the scientist had the same difficulty with 2 position groups. The dbs and the OL
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                        King Dunlap leaves and Harris replaces him?

Not Starks?

Still don't think Max makes the team
                        Time to Max this out
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X