• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

My wife was on a jury about a guy that the cops pulled over and searched because he was riding his bicycle on the sidewalk. They found drug crumbs in his wallet.

They tried this guy and wanted to put him in jail for drug crumbs. My wife, who is liberal, voted to convict him because that is the law.

I think the whole thing is bullshit and the cop should be fired.

Luckily the jury hung.

And guess his race. This is not a trick question. This shows your expectations.
      Last edited by Formula 21; 07-11-2016, 05:40 PM.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
        My wife was on a jury about a guy that the cops pulled over and searched because he was riding his bicycle on the sidewalk. They found drug crumbs in his wallet.

They tried this guy and wanted to put him in jail for drug crumbs. My wife, who is liberal, voted to convict him because that is the law.

Luckily the jury hung.

The cop should be fired for enforcing the same law that your wife felt obligated to vote to convict for? Using that logic, shouldn't you divorce your wife?

If you think a drug law is bullshit, than work to change it. But unless it is changed, it is against the law and you don't get to pick and choose which ones you obey without risk of consequence.

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          Just interesting results. Can't speak to the study's methodology and am troubled by trends shown in non-lethal cases. I have no particular slant on this issue, just a lot of sadness. But data is sorely lacking on this issue so any is worth considering.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/12....google.com%2F
          Is it bias by law enforcement or is it because certain races tend to exhibit more illegal and aggressive behavior, which in turn require more aggressive tactics by officers?

I don't know the answer but stuff like this can be very misleading without more data.

Comment

• Faded blues
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post

Luckily the jury hung.

depends on the drug found.

but as soon as he rode on the sidewalk, they had probable cause to make a stop.

without knowing the facts:

If the dude was cool, I would have let him go with a warning and made him an informant.

dude got the drugs from somewhere.

Comment

• Faded blues
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2013
              • Send PM

I wish I could drink with you all, I could tell you guys some hilarious stories.

just remember the term

the toilet bowl flush test for drugs.

Comment

• Faded blues
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2013
                • Send PM

sorry for Fox News haters but YouTube

the kelly file for tonight

there was a great panel assembled that went well beyond politicians and had real discussions.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  Sure it does. It's probably the most effective tool we have to ensure public safety. Unfortunately the wimpy liberal media has deliberately brainwashed a great majority of the simpleton gullible population into believing profiling and discrimination are the same thing - and they are most definitely Not.
                  I think it's just as important that we focus on invalid grandmothers and those of Norwegian descent as intently as we do Muslims from Yemen in detecting terrorists.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                    Is it bias by law enforcement or is it because certain races tend to exhibit more illegal and aggressive behavior, which in turn require more aggressive tactics by officers?

I don't know the answer but stuff like this can be very misleading without more data.
                    The Washington Post has a database they are compiling for such statistics. One of the things it reveals is that the overwhelming majority (90%) of police-involved shootings took place when a suspect had a firearm, was pointing a firearm at an officer or had discharged a firearm, as well as attempts to target officers with vehicles.

If you dive deeper into the stats you can find breakdowns of that by race and propensity to shoot at suspects (black and white) by cops (black and white).

Sadly the data we have is not very robust, but the sooner we have more and better data the sooner we can stop being lead by perceptions and emotions. It's the only way we'll be able to reduce mistrust and find policies that will close the racial divide. But I'm pretty sure that a black man picking off a dozen cops from a rooftop isn't engendering more trust among black or white policemen.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                      The Washington Post has a database they are compiling for such statistics. One of the things it reveals is that the overwhelming majority (90%) of police-involved shootings took place when a suspect had a firearm, was pointing a firearm at an officer or had discharged a firearm, as well as attempts to target officers with vehicles.

If you dive deeper into the stats you can find breakdowns of that by race and propensity to shoot at suspects (black and white) by cops (black and white).

Sadly the data we have is not very robust, but the sooner we have more and better data the sooner we can stop being lead by perceptions and emotions. It's the only way we'll be able to reduce mistrust and find policies that will close the racial divide. But I'm pretty sure that a black man picking off a dozen cops from a rooftop isn't engendering more trust among black or white policemen.
                      The FBI publishes their UCR, Unified Crime Report which details everything about crimes in America including breakdowns of what groups committed the most crimes, which races commit the most crimes on their own and other races, the numbers of homicides by groups (including cops) and a lot more for anyone that cares to dig beyond sensational stories the media feeds us to form impressions and opinions to support agendas.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

This whole thing is sad. Mistakes made on both sides in these cases (not talking about the sniper indiscriminately killing white cops, talking about recent cops using lethal force cases). And people are quick to label those involved and judge them (both sides). We forget everyone involved is a fallible human. Here are some data that was shared with me:

Percentage of American population that is black: 13.2%. Percentage of total US crimes committed by black persons: 52%
                        If you are being arrested/being pursued or detained by police, the percentage of people in that situation who end up being killed by police -- if you are black, 4%. If you are white, 12%.

These are actual data and are facts and not judgments of anyone. This is such an emotionally charged issue, that it helps (at least it helps me) to take a step back and look at data sometimes. I understand what JH is saying about the birds a little more if you look at data. And I found it surprising that a white person is 3 times more likely to be killed by police than a black person is. Because that is not what the media shows us.

I think cops need some better training so that they can rely on 'muscle memory' when they get into a stressful situation. And I think that citizens need to avoid doing things that put them in a situation where they are going to be detained by police and need to obey the police when they do get detained. As I understand it, by a wide, wide margin, the majority of these tragic cases involve a person doing something illegal or threatening and then refusing to cooperate with police when confronted.

Until we do those things, this sadness will not stop, I am afraid. And this stuff is happening at a time when we need law enforcement more than ever as crazy people want to kill innocent people because they have twisted their religion in a way to justify hatred and violence.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
                          Everybody who doesn't look exactly like me should be profiled.
                          THAT.

And BKR's people should be profiled for wanting to profile my Norwegian Great Grandmother.
                          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Working...
                          X