• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faded blues
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
    This illustrates my point about community involvement. I would talk to you and get to know you and perform a background check but in a cordial way. So I would know that Alex likes to walk to Ralph's late at night. You would know me and I would know you. We don't have to be friends, but have an understanding. This type of policing is frowned upon by lawyers.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      There is a reason profiling happens. Now whether one thinks that is a good thing or a bad thing is, of course, a hot point of discussion.
      Profiling doesn't work
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

This illustrates my point about community involvement. I would talk to you and get to know you and perform a background check but in a cordial way. So I would know that Alex likes to walk to Ralph's late at night. You would know me and I would know you. We don't have to friends, but have an understanding. This type of policing is ground upon by lawyers.
        The funny thing is that -sans hoodie - I was offered a ride once by the police while walking back from Ralphs. I told him even though I have to make several stops due to my bad shoulder I still like making it all the way home on my own. He kept insisting. He was really nice. I declined though because I was so close to home. I did thank him.

The police department is located on the same block I live on FWIW. And since I'm neither gay nor colored I actually like that.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I had to feed my bosses birds and clean there cages when he traveled, one bird a Macaw was white the other an African grey. After being bitten four or five times by the Macaw he got less and less love from me when I cleaned his cage he also got handled like a threat. The African grey on the other hand was about as sweet as a bird could be. He was a pleasure to have out of his cage for cleanings.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
            I had to feed my bosses birds and clean there cages when he traveled, one bird a Macaw was white the other an African grey. After being bitten four or five times by the Macaw he got less and less love from me when I cleaned his cage he also got handled like a threat. The African grey on the other hand was about as sweet as a bird could be. He was a pleasure to have out of his cage for cleanings.
            Is the moral of the story that you don't confuse birds with people?
            For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              Excellent...now let's get back to praying for peace
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                Profiling doesn't work
                Not everyone agrees it doesn't work. There are some very strong opinions on both sides about the effectiveness of it.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Back in my younger days I was in law enforcement. I talked so many dudes into my hand cuffs. The art of conversation is lost on the younger generation.

There were times when I went hands on to keep everyone safe. Most of the time the dude was whacked out on drugs and some dudes later thanked me for how I handled the situation.

I definitely wasnt a super trooper but that was how I was taught. That was how we were all taught.

Also, I worked where I lived. Knew everyone and they knew me. Had a report with the community.

In most of these cases today, I see two individuals who are scared of each other, tense and aggressive which is never a good mix.

Not a big fan of lawyers getting involved and telling cops how to handle situations. It's all about avoiding lawsuits.

The problem with force plus one is what does a cop due after he pulls his gun on someone and that someone doesn't listen?

Cops aren't trigger happy, they are just scared and react accordingly.
                  Former Police chief Bill Kolender introduced the concept of Community Oriented Policing (COPs) in San Diego way back in the late 1970s or Early 1980s. It emphasized building relationships with leaders and citizens in communities you patrol. It was widely hailed as a model for the nation. I remember there had been a couple high profile cop killings back then with Sagon Penn as 1 example. Not sure if they still use the method, but seems like there are fewer targeted cop killings since then.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Not everyone agrees it doesn't work. There are some very strong opinions on both sides about the effectiveness of it.
                    Everybody who doesn't look exactly like me should be profiled.

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                      Profiling doesn't work
                      Sure it does. It's probably the most effective tool we have to ensure public safety. Unfortunately the wimpy liberal media has deliberately brainwashed a great majority of the simpleton gullible population into believing profiling and discrimination are the same thing - and they are most definitely Not.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Faded blues
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                        Former Police chief Bill Kolender introduced the concept of Community Oriented Policing (COPs) in San Diego way back in the late 1970s or Early 1980s. It emphasized building relationships with leaders and citizens in communities you patrol. It was widely hailed as a model for the nation. I remember there had been a couple high profile cop killings back then with Sagon Penn as 1 example. Not sure if they still use the method, but seems like there are fewer targeted cop killings since then.
                        Met bill a few times. Great man.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Just interesting results. Can't speak to the study's methodology and am troubled by trends shown in non-lethal cases. I have no particular slant on this issue, just a lot of sadness. But data is sorely lacking on this issue so any is worth considering.

Comment

Working...
                          X