Chargers (+6) @ Chiefs Pregame Discussion (Wk 7)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    Is this game the season????

2-4 with the remainder of the schedule and a stacked AFC would be brutal to overcome.
    IMO yes - this game IS the season - if your goal is to make the playoffs . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

IMO yes - this game IS the season - if your goal is to make the playoffs . . . . . . . . . . . .
      I'd agree with you if I though the Chargers had any chance.

If K.C. turns it over 5 times, like in 2021 ..... this Charger team still might lose.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

The beginning of the 12 game win streak starts at KC.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
          Why not? The 2009 Chargers started 2-3 then won a franchise record 11 straight.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
            Let's do this!
            • Aug 2022
            • Raleigh N. Carolina
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
            You can identify 2 plays in each loss that if they had gone our way, we'd be 5-0

They are frustratingly close.

But I feel like ive been saying that most of my life...

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

You can identify 2 plays in each loss that if they had gone our way, we'd be 5-0

They are frustratingly close.

But I feel like ive been saying that most of my life...
              Be positive. It's better than being negative.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

42.9.png

https://football.pitcherlist.com/what-we-saw-cowboys-at-chargers/

In Minnesota, DC Brian Flores blitzed 82% of Chargers dropbacks​.

Before the K.C. game, let's go over A) Offensive line assignments in blitz pick-ups, stunt pickups in practice and B) RB assignments in pass protection and blocking inside-out, and C) WR covers blitz hot reads, and double moves (OC Ken Whisenhunt and Ben Roethlisberger went into the AFC Championship game against Denver and they designed 8 different blitz beater playcalls against the blitzing Bronco defense, with Champ Bailey at CB. That coaching effort helped get Whisenhunt the head job in Arizona). I believe flanker screens to play-side or back-side work in beating blitz pressure as well.

TE - Tre McKitty missed a backside blocked on the edge. Clear the tight end group needs reps in defending and blocking the edge.

Bottomline: Fascinating the Cowboys had to resort to 42.9% called blitzes to beat the Chargers by 3 points.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

the book is out. Blitz Herb and you win

I want my OC to protect from the blitz. Thats why HE is the OC.

We have all watched enough football to know how to beat the blitz (screen pass, max protect, chip blocks, move the pocket). Come on Kellen Moore show me you can adapt

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

I want my OC to protect from the blitz. Thats why HE is the OC.

We have all watched enough football to know how to beat the blitz (screen pass, max protect, chip blocks, move the pocket). Come on Kellen Moore show me you can adapt
                    Exactly!!!

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                      The Vikings do not agree.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

(January 2006)

Steelers go to Plan B to beat Broncos’ blitz

Tuesday night, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt didn’t leave the team’s facility until 3 a.m. After a two-hour respite, he returned to continue the process of trying to break down the Broncos’ defense.

At that point in their preparation for Sunday’s AFC championship game against the Broncos, the Pittsburgh players were feeling a similar kind of discomfort. The Steelers had played the Cincinnati Bengals, their opening-round playoff opponent, twice during the 2005 season and the Indianapolis Colts, their divisional playoff foe, in an intense Monday night contest.

Denver posed an entirely different problem. Not having faced the team since 2003, there was little frame of reference, especially with regard to a Broncos defense that had seemingly grown blitz-crazy in recent weeks.

“There were a lot of late nights for us this week,” Whisenhunt said of the Pittsburgh coaches. “It was a different game plan for us, and the hardest part was coming in on Wednesday and getting the guys to understand it.”

As the week went on, however, things that seemed foreign to the Steelers – featuring unheralded wide receiver Cedrick Wilson over all-star Hines Ward and scheming with different types of protections against the Broncos’ all-out rushes – became second nature. In their final team practice Friday, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hit Wilson on a corner route for a touchdown. Sunday, the play worked exactly the same way, the opening touchdown in Pittsburgh’s 34-17 win.

“It was probably the best week of study that we’ve ever put in,” Whisenhunt said. “It had to be; we knew that as much as they blitz, we were going to have to put in some different things to attack it. It’s a credit to our guys – they studied, they understood it, and they executed it.”

The Steelers anticipated the Broncos stacking multiple defenders at the line of scrimmage, the base for their successful blitzes. Even so, Pittsburgh felt it had to attempt to run the football. However, when that wasn’t effective – the Steelers had but 12 yards in the first quarter and 49 at halftime – they quickly moved on to the next option.

That was passing the football against cornerbacks frequently left in one-on-one coverage. In that scenario, more often than not, Wilson, defended by rookie Domonique Foxworth, was the player Pittsburgh went to.

“I didn’t know I was going to be featured,” Wilson said. “But when they started stacking, the coaches left it on the wide receivers to make plays downfield. You always want to go after the young guy; we went after Champ Bailey a couple of times, but we had more success against the rookie.”

Wilson finished with five catches for 92 yards and the touchdown. Fellow wideouts Ward and Antwaan Randle El combined for another nine receptions for 111 yards.

“In the playoffs it’s all about matchups, and we took advantage of our mismatches today,” Ward said. “We knew Denver had the No. 2 run defense in the NFL. We thought we could take some shots in the air.”

But that would require success with two other variables: The Steelers’ offensive line had to be able to hold off Denver’s pass rush enough to give Roethlisberger time to throw, and the second-year quarterback had to make the right decisions, getting rid of the football quickly to the player left open by the Broncos’ blitz.

More often than not, Pittsburgh passed both tests. Roethlisberger completed 21-of-29 passes for 275 yards and two scores, and ran for another touchdown.

He was sacked only twice for 7 yards in a performance that guaranteed Whisenhunt a few more sleepless nights – this time in preparation for Super Bowl XL.

@1:10 - This is the blitz beater Whisenhunt drew up - A huge pump-fake with two hands and the WR has to sell the stem route, then it's double-move, IF the DB bites - it's over.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                          Let's do this!
                          • Aug 2022
                          • Raleigh N. Carolina
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The Vikings do not agree.
                          Yeah I was thinking the same thing. JH handles the blitz well.

It's not that they blitzed a lot, its who was rushing. Cowboys have ELITE pass rushers.

Comment

Working...
                          X