• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Eric Williams, San Diego Chargers reporter: After a disappointing 4-12 campaign in 2015, San Diego Chargers coach Mike McCoy received a reprieve when Chargers chairman Dean Spanos signed him to a one-year extension through 2017 rather than firing him. The Chargers closed out the season by losing 10 of their last 13 games and finished winless against the AFC West for the first time since 1984. However, with the franchise pushing for a new stadium in downtown San Diego, if the team starts slow again, Spanos could make a midseason change at head coach. The Chargers finished 3-9 in games decided by eight points or fewer in 2015, so McCoy has to be better at the end of games. There has been a renewed enthusiasm in offseason work, which bodes well for McCoy. But if San Diego continues to struggle on the field during the first half of the year, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt could serve as interim coach should the team move on from McCoy in the middle of the season.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
      Watch the Oakland games and see how dialed in the Oakland MLB was to whatever Woodhead was doing.

Could be an overall athleticism or injury issues as well. However, it seemed to me like all their AFC West opponents had the Charger playbook memorized.
      We didn't play our 1st AFC west game until game 7 last year, and it was Oakland. By then we were starting like our 15th OL combination and couldn't run at all. We lost Keenan Allen in game 8? and Brandon Oliver hurt his toe and Gordon hurt his knee and both were IR'd down the stretch in the meat of our AFC West schedule. All we had left was Rivers, a beat up OL, gimpy Gates, and Woodhead. Defenses could just tee off and guess what was coming because the offense was so limited by the 2nd half of the season. Hopefully we will have better luck on injuries this year.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Grinners
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I think that M&M's biggest issue is that he trusts his Offensive and Defensive Coordinators. What I mean is that the game plans are set up by them INITIALLY and he has the power to alter them as he sees fit, but due to his lack of experience he relies on them to make those decisions. He is very intelligent IMHO and shows a good knowledge of the game but tends to trust that others also have that same level of knowledge. He needs to be more decisive in his decision making. He was spoiled his first year with Wiz but didn't have that since and now that he is back everything will improve (WILL IMPROVE)! A lot of what is happening in the Chargers Organization is based upon trusting each individual to their part (which is a really good thing when it works) but also requires a strong leader to ensure that each piece of the puzzle is working correctly. Its a big puzzle and needs a knowledgeable puzzle smith to ensure its success. With Wiz back things will improve............... by the way this is an alcohol induced rant and therefore I cannot be held accountable to what I said, whatever it was............................................... ..

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

McCoy sucks.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
            That just sounds like generic speculation form Eric Williams; I don't think that guy's ever had any kind of scoop since he's been there. McOy! should've been canned after the division O-fer; doing it when the team is like 2-6 again would be pointless.
            Agreed, might as well given McLoser a lifetime extension.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

McOy! Love it.
              He would never have survived 12 losses in a row to end the season.
              Our football braintrust must have been very impressed with the way Jax & Miami never showed up for those 2 games.
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

our braintrust is abby normal

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Our braintrust has neither.

Comment

• floydefisher
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • siberiacuse, ny
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    I didn't see any evidence anyone figured out the 2013 version Wiz ran, or if they did were mostly unable to stop it. Last 2 years with Reich was more predictable, and injuries to OL and RBs really limited what he could call, even when he thought he knew what would work. They don't get a pass for the last 2 years, but I'll be shocked if this year's offense doesn't look a whole lot more like 2013 than 2014/15 did. Of course injuries could be the great equalizer.
                    Unless Melvin Gordon becomes the second coming of Ryan Matthews (forget being LT, I just want a good serviceable running back at this stage), you can forget this offense amounting to much.

This team needs a running game more than anything, and unless something dramatic happens, I'm thinking Gordon is a bust, and so will McCoy be unfortunately.
                    sigpic

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
                      Unless Melvin Gordon becomes the second coming of Ryan Matthews (forget being LT, I just want a good serviceable running back at this stage), you can forget this offense amounting to much.

This team needs a running game more than anything, and unless something dramatic happens, I'm thinking Gordon is a bust, and so will McCoy be unfortunately.
                      Agree this team won't amount to much without a solid running game to count on. Totally disagree with your take on Gordon. What exactly were you expecting when everyone pre-draft said he wasn't a good fit for our offense and would struggle unless they adapted it to play to his strengths? Instead they chose the NOrvian pound a square peg into a round hole approach - with predictable results.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• chargerkdb
                        Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                        • Send PM

I'm not over the moon on McCoy but I don't think he was a bad hire with the circumstances as they were at the time. The guy won a playoff game with Tebow, in fact he adjusted to a lot of turbulence as OC for Denver. I'm starting to think he is a Norv type, good coordinator but lousy HC. I like Arians but it more for his personality. He has some talent in Arizona and if he doesn't do something with it he will be a former HC in 2 years. He is one rung below Andy Reid right now.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                          Agree this team won't amount to much without a solid running game to count on. Totally disagree with your take on Gordon. What exactly were you expecting when everyone pre-draft said he wasn't a good fit for our offense and would struggle unless they adapted it to play to his strengths? Instead they chose the NOrvian pound a square peg into a round hole approach - with predictable results.
                          By playing to his strengths, do you mean to have some linemen block?

Comment

Working...
                          X