Chargers at Jets MNF Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Wk 9)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We didn't have that many. Ekeler had 3 but if you are counting the 2 targets to Guyton, one was knocked away from a bad pass and the other he was only able to get one hand on it. I wouldn't call those drops.

Maybe 5 but every QB has drops and there was tight coverages all night. Herbert wasn't exactly right on target in that game. Heck he damn near over threw Keenan again while wide open and only a spectacular catch made that complete and he could of ran further if it was on target.
    Guyton had both hands on the 2 he dropped. They were drops. Ek had 3, I remember a few more so then 5-8 drops. Still too many.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      the offense actually only scored 13 points.
      Ekeler scored twice. Dicker kicked two field goals. That's 20 pts.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I don't want to waste any more of Herbert's time and career with young OL that will make us have to wait on them to reach their potential. The good OL prospects will get gobbled up by the end of the first round. And the Chargers aren't going to be bad enough to be able to land said OL players.
        So, u r saying we need to sign a decent FA C...u may be right, but if we do, sure hope it's a vet that actually produces and stays healthy and isn't a head case...

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Kelley had 3 carries for 18 yards (6 ypc). He was effective... but un-used. If the game plan was to run, don't you think they would have had more than 17 attempts by the RB's...? Everyone said this would be KA vs. sauce... it wasn't. What they forgot to realize is that Sauce pretty much stays on one side of the field. So the Chargers put KA on the other side. Sauce was matched up against QJ most of the night. They were doubling and bracketing KA most of the night... hence the 8 receptions for only 77 yards. The short, safe, ball-control pass was the game plan. They threw in some passes to the RB and TE. But the Jets did a nice job of defending that. The passing game would have been better with MW and JP in there... obviously.

Actually, the Bills, Eagles, and Chiefs offense didn't give up those points to the Jets offense. The Jets defense caused turnovers that put the Jets offense in good places... just like our defense did to the Jets. You will get no argument from me that our defense was lights out. Do you want me to say that the defense won the game for us...? Fine. But at least admit that the offense didn't lose the game for us. Because there have been some really good offenses that lost games for their teams... against these very same Jets. And that is what people are trying to point out to you.

If you REALLY want to understand what the game plan was... you wrote it yourself (the 2nd bolded portion).
          Your just looking at the numbers. Kelly ran for 2, 4 and one carry went for 12 yards. Ekeler ran one carry for 20 yards. Does that mean the run
          game was effective? I don't think so. But yes for passing definitely the short passing game.

If the definition of having a great offensive game plan is to not lose the game, then the offense gets credit. Although the Jets did have opportunities
          for turnovers and they did not capitalize. So it happens that we did not turn the ball over. Please explain what the results of other games have
          to do with our offensive performance? It's like saying look those other guys jumped off the bridge, but we didn't. We committed suicide by lethal
          injection. Except the doc screwed it up.

I look at it differently.
          The pass blocking was poor (5 sacks and lots of pressure)
          The run blocking was poor (about 80 yards)
          We couldn't get a first down (8 punts)
          Passing was not effective (Herbert 53% completion rate)
          Receiving we dropped 4 or 5 passes
          Execution was poor

Result: 1 TD drive of 50 yards, 2 FG, one on a short field moved the 21 yards, the other a 68 yard drive 13 points
          So if we rely on the offense the final score 13-6

Who won the game?

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            Offense scored 2 TDs. One on a 50 yard drive. The other 2 yards.

So 52 yards total or 26 yards per drive. Are you happy?

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Las Vegas Desert GIF

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

I've been watching the NFL since 1970. I can't remember a greater catch than this one. John Jefferson during his three years with the Chargers routinely made incredible grabs, the most athletic WR I'd seen to that point. But I think Keenan's catch here is tops.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

I've been watching the NFL since 1970. I can't remember a greater catch than this one. John Jefferson during his three years with the Chargers routinely made incredible grabs, the most athletic WR I'd seen to that point. But I think Keenan's catch here is tops.

That picture looks like a Cromartie interception of P. Manning back in the day.

Keenan is an amazing WR.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Irmo, SC
                    • Send PM

I was going to say that JJ made a few. Wow what could have been if he stayed ...

Comment

• sdchrgrboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2021
                      • San Diego
                      • Send PM

Finally another team besides the Chargers broke a new NFL record
                      "The Jets are the only NFL team in the Super Bowl era to have their defense collect 5+ sacks, hold the opponent to under 200 yards and not allow any 25+ yard plays and yet lose the game by 20+ points."

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sdchrgrboy View Post
                        Finally another team besides the Chargers broke a new NFL record
                        "The Jets are the only NFL team in the Super Bowl era to have their defense collect 5+ sacks, hold the opponent to under 200 yards and not allow any 25+ yard plays and yet lose the game by 20+ points."
                        Yes but it happened against the Chargers. No denying the Chargers are something special when it comes to NFL firsts.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Sorry I'm giving the defense the credit on that 2 yard drive lol

Comment

Working...
                          X