Lions at Chargers (+1.5) Pregame Discussion (Wk 10)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charge!
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

Quarterback Justin Herbert has been sacked 10 times over the past three games. Herbert had less than 2.5 seconds to throw on 40% of his dropbacks, as the Jets' defensive line easily pushed back the Chargers' front throughout the contest
    True.... and they were even abusing Slater..... the Jets front 7 is maybe best in NFL.......

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I agree he played smart football last night in a tight defensive game.

Overall the he has become a check down QB. I mean do the Chargers ever throw passes more than 7 yards anymore? Herbert is not top in passing yards. Waste of an arm
      No time to pass to allow receivers to get open to allow for 20 yard patterns

but sure blame Justin Herbert - -you kind of just contradicted yourself. you want to put all the blame on Herbert for not pushing the ball but missing the factor of why he can't push the ball. The Oline and Receivers perhaps are part of the issue

and underappreciated aspect of Air Coryell was Washington, Wilkerson, Macek, White and Shields with a blocking TE like Sievers. They allowed Fouts time to throw the damn ball

So if Herberts waits for his receivers to get open - he gets sacked or maybe they never get open or he tries to force a pass and is picked off and you would be pissed at him for that

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Way fewer TDs, yards and wins too

Tentative, conservative play might keep down picks but....
        IMV, successful plays downfield would open things up a lot.

It is amazing how well Sauce covers ehen passes are underthrown.

QJ was about to create late separation, second play of the game.
        Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

We have only had 2 games where we out played the other team and deserved the win.........which is the last 2 weeks..... our 2 other wins were pure luck, becauae we deserved to lose......

Detroit and ravens are really good on both sides of the ball.... agree, we have to find way to beat one of them to have a real shot......Ravens are really dominant on defense.... like Jets... DETY is very good on defense and on offense because they have balance and many players can beat you.... not just 2 like the jets.....

Chargers need to start using players other then KA and Ekler...... spreading ball around is best way to confuse good defenses...... so they cant just double one guy....
          I disagree - Chargers deserve to be 4-4

That said, the next three weeks, two games against really good teams and a tough road game - Lambeau won't be easy. Come out with 6 or 7 wins - -can talk playoffs. Win only one of three, cue up the Jim Mora sound bite "playoffs!!!??"

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

I agree he played smart football last night in a tight defensive game.

Overall the he has become a check down QB. I mean do the Chargers ever throw passes more than 7 yards anymore? Herbert is not top 10 in passing yards. Waste of an arm
            part of that is on coaching..... Chargers did not do much to avoid that pass rush.... no roll outs?..... jusrt pure shot gun and staying in pocket and getting killed........

The great thing is that the punt return TD gave us a lead that might have won the game by itself..... though if we only scored that one TD, the Jets could have just played for FG's .... that punt return changed the jet game plan almost by itself..... helped cause the othwer mistakes,,,,,

most teams that score a punt return TD usually win.....

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

No time to pass to allow receivers to get open to allow for 20 yard patterns

but sure blame Justin Herbert - -you kind of just contradicted yourself. you want to put all the blame on Herbert for not pushing the ball but missing the factor of why he can't push the ball. The Oline and Receivers perhaps are part of the issue

and underappreciated aspect of Air Coryell was Washington, Wilkerson, Macek, White and Shields with a blocking TE like Sievers. They allowed Fouts time to throw the damn ball

So if Herberts waits for his receivers to get open - he gets sacked or maybe they never get open or he tries to force a pass and is picked off and you would be pissed at him for that
              I don't actually blame all Herbert for what this offence has become. we invest TWO first round picks on the line but lose one injury prone center and the whole thing collapses. Once again there are still no WRS that can get open, a shitty run game.

But I am just saying that all of this and the injuries have affected Herbert. He is less confident and more tentative. Other QBs would over come some of these factors by getting out of the pocket more and running for yardage. Herbert has the athleticism but rarely does it. He does not display the improvisation of Mahomes or the fire of Allen and Burrow.

Maybe injuries the last 2 years have set him back more than anything.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

This Charger/Herbert bitchfest is fun but I thought I'd start to look at the Lions. Only a few minutes right now, but all but one of their wins are against inferior teams. Their first win was great vs KC but alot since then doesn't prove they are SB bound.

Wins: KC, Falcons, Packers, Panthers, Bucs, Raiders
                Loss: Seahawks, Ravens

cmon TPB - dig in to the data, stop bitching about Herbert, he is not the problem for you to solve.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                  This Charger/Herbert bitchfest is fun but I thought I'd start to look at the Lions. Only a few minutes right now, but all but one of their wins are against inferior teams. Their first win was great vs KC but alot since then doesn't prove they are SB bound.

cmon TPB - dig in to the data, stop bitching about Herbert, he is not the problem for you to solve.
                  Actually thanks for pointing out that record, it is reason for optimism.

The lions have weapons on both sides of the ball though and the Chargers still will need a complete performance to beat them which means a significant passing game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Fair enough -- on to the Lions

Chargers do have a tough test Sunday. Lions have some weapons on offense and Goff is a much better QB than Bagent or Wilson for sure

Defense - improved from two years ago - (just go back to Campbells first year and the Thanksgiving game to now ) - Hutchinson and the Dline is pretty good. LBs, Azalone makes a lot of plays and 44 was a nice rookie last year (I htink its 44)

So for sure, a different test but playoffs - win this sunday and maybe the chatter can start

Comment

• AZBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

The Chargers offensive struggles are directly related to the offensive line play. the run game just isn’t there and pushes the chargers into longer down and distance…… defenses can then ignore the run and rush hard putting tremendous pressure on JH…..pipkins seems to be regressing again, getting beat at higher rate.

Losing Lindsey hurt for sure, Clapp not good but looks better than in the past. What I see is that they sb using their tight ends more, . “Everett and Parham are very capable in the passing game, Everett tougher dependable guy and Parham faster, more athletic, huge target….these guys run shorter routes which give JH the time…..move the chains! Get the linebackers off the line of scrimmage, that improves the run game. Football is the quintessential team game, one area of success, improves another. Use your resources …. LFG.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

What's the difference between QBR and passer rating?
                        Passer rating is the official NFL stat. QBR is ESPN's attempt to come up with something that more accurately reflects how a QB plays vs raw stats (which can be misleading). Here is a blurb that explains it better:

Think of QBR as an attempt to rate a quarterback by difficulty. A quarterback gets more credit for success in more difficult situations, and less credit for success in less difficult situations. It tries to reward QBs for making the clutch throws downfield versus an easy swing pass on second down.

It’s a 0 to 100 scale, where 50 should represent the true middle point, meaning those quarterbacks above 50 should be winning more games than those below 50. The nearer to 100 a QB is, the more ‘elite’ he should be.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Lions and Chargers are pretty equal on scoring stats , PPG on O and D. We have a very marginal lead on O, they same on D.
                          It will be tough. I'm still waiting for Moore to show me something that's impressively good. maybe this is the week.

Comment

Working...
                          X