Lions at Chargers (+1.5) Pregame Discussion (Wk 10)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

The Lions defend the run very well, currently third in the league, an average of 77 yards allowed per game. The Chargers are slightly below the middle of the pack in run offense, averaging 101.1 yds per game.

The Lions run the ball well, averaging 131.1 yds per game. But the Chargers also defend the run well, averaging 89 yds per game, 7th in the league.

My guess is this game will be decided by the passing game, and who does or doesn't protect the QB well will probably be a sizable factor.

The Chargers trail only the Ravens in sacks, with 31 sacks through 8 games. The Lions' OL is very highly regarded, Goff has been sacked just 15 times through 8 games, one of the least sacked QBs in the league.

Herbert, who is more mobile than Goff, though hindered by his broken digit, has only been sacked 20 times through 8 games. The Lions are 17th in sacks, with 21 through 8 games.

The Lions' Aidan Hutchinson is their best pass rusher. But he only has 4.5 sacks. The Chargers have three players with more sacks: Mack (9), Bosa (6.5) and Fox (5.5). Tuli is only a half sack behind Hutchinson with 4.

So it's going to be interesting to watch a defense who gets to the QB as well as anybody in the league against an OL who is as good as anybody protecting their QB, who is not very mobile. And a defense that is only mediocre at getting to the QB against an OL that struggles to protect their QB, who is more mobile.

Comment

• Caslon
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Me has dreams of Tui becoming another phenom with a Samoan type sounding name. A Nigerian with a hard to pronounce name…include that too.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        The Lions defend the run very well, currently third in the league, an average of 77 yards allowed per game. The Chargers are slightly below the middle of the pack in run offense, averaging 101.1 yds per game.

The Lions run the ball well, averaging 131.1 yds per game. But the Chargers also defend the run well, averaging 89 yds per game, 7th in the league.

My guess is this game will be decided by the passing game, and who does or doesn't protect the QB well will probably be a sizable factor.

The Chargers trail only the Ravens in sacks, with 31 sacks through 8 games. The Lions' OL is very highly regarded, Goff has been sacked just 15 times through 8 games, one of the least sacked QBs in the league.

Herbert, who is more mobile than Goff, though hindered by his broken digit, has only been sacked 20 times through 8 games. The Lions are 17th in sacks, with 21 through 8 games.

The Lions' Aidan Hutchinson is their best pass rusher. But he only has 4.5 sacks. The Chargers have three players with more sacks: Mack (9), Bosa (6.5) and Fox (5.5). Tuli is only a half sack behind Hutchinson with 4.

So it's going to be interesting to watch a defense who gets to the QB as well as anybody in the league against an OL who is as good as anybody protecting their QB, who is not very mobile. And a defense that is only mediocre at getting to the QB against an OL that struggles to protect their QB, who is more mobile.
        I hope Staley dones’t play a too-loose zone. Goff doesn’t have a strong arm, he’s accurate if you give him windows but he’s not carrying a bazooka. Get some pressure on him to disrupt his timing, disrupt his throwing lanes inside (he’s not tall) and he’s less effective. It will be tougher to get actual sacks though, i don’t expect 8 sacks this week.

Hutchinson is a solid player, he’s not Crosby at all. I think people fear him for his draft hype than his actual NFL production. He’s not edge-fast, his game is strength. He’s a good edge sealer, end around sweeps etc may not be effective against him. Screens can be though, RBs are faster than him.

It’s going to be a close game - Detroit is a quality team. I read they haven’t won on the west coast in like a decade. Lets go get it!
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I hope Staley dones’t play a too-loose zone.
          I been begging for one of them to make a break on a pass. Like that one time when there were three others in the area defending a possible stop and go on that ONE receiver. I mean…Damn!

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I hope Staley dones’t play a too-loose zone. Goff doesn’t have a strong arm, he’s accurate if you give him windows but he’s not carrying a bazooka. Get some pressure on him to disrupt his timing, disrupt his throwing lanes inside (he’s not tall) and he’s less effective. It will be tougher to get actual sacks though, i don’t expect 8 sacks this week.

Hutchinson is a solid player, he’s not Crosby at all. I think people fear him for his draft hype than his actual NFL production. He’s not edge-fast, his game is strength. He’s a good edge sealer, end around sweeps etc may not be effective against him. Screens can be though, RBs are faster than him.

It’s going to be a close game - Detroit is a quality team. I read they haven’t won on the west coast in like a decade. Lets go get it!
            The last game the Lions played, in Balt.

The Ravens got pressure on Goff.

The Ravens protected Lamar well, and the the Lions' defensive front had trouble containing his mobility.

The Ravens WRs and TE Andrews got separation.

The Lions looked totally over-matched against the Ravens.

The Chargers play the Ravens week after next at SoFi.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Ya ya granted. Coach praised Herbert for no Int’s and some possession extending clutch 3rd down throws. I’m actually very OK with that and under 200 yards passing if it contributes to a win. In fact, we may see more of those type Herbert games where he doesn’t necessarily have to pass for 300+ and gets a win (under Moore). Heh, Moore may actually be “molding” Herbert in his image now (so to speak). Ball control without the fireworks (necessarily).
              "His image" would, I expect be what Moore envisions for Herbert. Fireworks or ball control when appropriate. Herbert is a stronger, more gifted passer than Moore ever was and I doubt that he wishes to remove that from the arsenal.
              Game, situation and opponent appropriate offense IMO.

Comment

• Caslon
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Warning. I bet the Lions target ASJ on at least one stop and go where ASJ doesn’t have the sudden shift in gears necessary to keep up with him. You’ve been warned.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Warning. I bet the Lions target ASJ on at least one stop and go where ASJ doesn’t have the sudden shift in gears necessary to keep up with him. You’ve been warned.
                  Could be. ASJ is very ball aware, he gets quite a few picks and PDs but he can be had.

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Could be. ASJ is very ball aware, he gets quite a few picks and PDs but he can be had.
                    “Don’t forget…turn your head back towards the ball, ASJ!!!”

Me and others have poked fun at ASJ with that reminder, hehe.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Get Everett the ball.
                      feed Keenan from the jump
                      get Ekeler in space
                      protect Herbert.
                      get some deep balls with either Guyton, QJ or DD.
                      stop the run.
                      keep a lid on Amon and Jamieson
                      pressure Goff

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

Everette not made much noise until last week. He dragged two defenders for a 5 yd. YAC. He’s my Parham substitute of the week.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Troy Aikman said on the broadcast in the game against the Jets that the Charger defense will be as good as the secondary allows them to be. I agree with that.

Comment

Working...
                          X