• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

thx, I understood why they signed him, just didn't realize a top blocking TE cost that much.
    If he truly is as elite of a blocker as advertised, what was once one of the weakest aspects on the team (TE blocking) becomes a strength.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

This is no longer college.
      He was going up against guys who are currently out of football.

He's unproven at best in the NFL ... at worst, he has demonstrated traits that you find in backups, not starters.

One point Popper made was that all the experienced NFL corners seemed to know the route he was going to run.
      He's raw, and at least needs some time to figure things out: which means you do not trust in him carrying much of a load this year.

The better question would be, which one of those players would you expect to get a larger contract, if suddenly exposed as free agents?
      All pro players started out as college players. When they get to the pros, it is the responsibility of the coaches to develop them. He was picked in the 1st round because he had a skillset that, while raw, was inherent (speed, size, acceleration). The coaches did not use those skillsets properly. His stop/start abilities, speed change abilities, are still there. Now they need to use those skillsets in routes that make sense. IMO, within the play-action play-calls, QJ will get on top of people and be a weapon down field. How many times did we see him used that way...? Maybe once... when Stick hit him deep...? Expect to see more of that. Crisp-cut outs or double-moves is not his strength. Yet, that was how was used last year. Maybe they couldn't use him deep because the OL was gawd aweful last year...?

Comment

• Chargers8491
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        May not be my final but it wont change much. Going to stick with my guy though he may not be our pick. But at 11 he has a better chance.

Think some guys will slide and think Gray could go sooner, Nourzad may go sooner, Johnson may go sooner..not sure about Procter. Ive mocked him before and prefer Bullard but cant fit him with what i like better. I did have Wright and Sainristil switched but think Rice has a better chance to fall than him.

Ill assume we trade with AZ for 11 and 27 and 35 and 66...fuck them they arent getting off easy. Id ask for 27 before 35 but ill assume we get 35 and 66.
        I like Wright, think Benson is gone but think Harbaugh may like Corum so making two options.

Bolt O...i their a way to make it so we can have more than 10 lines in our sig? This mock in the Sig says it wont fit in there for that reason...and cant have more than 1000 charactors.

11 Brock Bowers TE/ Georgia
        35 Kris Jenkins/ DT Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG/ Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB/ Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB/ Tenn or Blake Corum / Michigan
        105 Brenden Rice WR/ USC
        110 Cedric Gray LB/ N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC/ Penn st
        181 Cedrick Johnson Edge/ Mississippi
        225 Josh Procter S/ Ohio st
        253 Dwight McGlothern CB/ Arkansas
        Nice! I'm probably going to update mine prior to the draft. I have a feeling that the Chargers might load up on Michigan o-line players in the late rnds.
        1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
        2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
        2b- #37 Jenkins DT
        3a- #66 Puni OT
        3b- #69 Sainristill CB
        4a- #105 Rice WR
        4b- #110 Lloyd RB
        5- #140 Green CB
        6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Harrison Jr. for a #11 and #37 ... that's an easy no for me.

It's Harrison Jr., or the draft bonanza.

Comment

• Jrock1970
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2024
            • Send PM

I'm starting to get the feeling that Chargers are going to try to trade down, get extra picks and then trade back into 1st rd with '25 1st and '24 change. Trying to get 2-3 1st rd picks to get as much top tier talent this year. FA moves and salary dumps to gain way more cap space then needed for what picks we have and they are showing an aversion to spending even mid $$ on avail FA's. Just my opinion. Thinking only 7 picks made this year?

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Interesting jrock, you may well be right. Win now indeed.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

PFF has a mock by some guy named Jahnke posted up. It shows us trade 5 to Minny for 11, 23 and 129. But the shit kicker for me is that we also give Minny #69 for the deal. This is a no way in hell scenario for me. He does have us pick up Bowers at 11 and Latham at 23. However that 69 for 129 kicker is a big no. Less than 2 weeks until silly season is over.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
                  PFF has a mock by some guy named Jahnke posted up. It shows us trade 5 to Minny for 11, 23 and 129. But the shit kicker for me is that we also give Minny #69 for the deal. This is a no way in hell scenario for me. He does have us pick up Bowers at 11 and Latham at 23. However that 69 for 129 kicker is a big no. Less than 2 weeks until silly season is over.
                  It seems this year that because the Chargers have Harbaugh as their new HC, we somehow became this years team that all the mock clowns use as their lazy trade down partner.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jrock1970 View Post
                    I'm starting to get the feeling that Chargers are going to try to trade down, get extra picks and then trade back into 1st rd with '25 1st and '24 change. Trying to get 2-3 1st rd picks to get as much top tier talent this year. FA moves and salary dumps to gain way more cap space then needed for what picks we have and they are showing an aversion to spending even mid $$ on avail FA's. Just my opinion. Thinking only 7 picks made this year?
                    I’ve been saying that if they trade with MIN or a 3 way with AZ and they get 11-27 and other mid round picks, they will then move off 11 and go up to get a Odunze or Bowers then immediately go either up or down with the other picks. I could see Hortiz going big and snagging another 1st and then moving right back up yet again.

Comment

• Jrock1970
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2024
                      • Send PM

It just feels like Spanos & Co. will try to make this yr like a statement yr. All the press about them being cheap with coaching hires, disfunctional, conservative and poor talent evaluators. I think they try to change the narrative in a huge way across the board when it comes to how the Bolts are percieved nationally. Go big or go home😁 Instead of "Chargering"...."Charging"...lol

Comment

• eaterfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

It seems this year that because the Chargers have Harbaugh as their new HC, we somehow became this years team that all the mock clowns use as their lazy trade down partner.
                        I think it's more that the Chargers need to fill so many positions... The Chargers have their long term answers at how many positions? QB, LT, FS, SS. They have likely possible long term solutions (Zont and Palmer FAs after this year, though) at 1 DE spot, 1 CB, WR #2 or #3, LG. I think it's possible we have long term answers, though less likely, at RT, RG, and 2 LB (Niemann is a FA after this year and who knows with Henley). We have stop gaps at RB, C, CB, and TE. Long term solutions are solid or better starters expected to be on the roster in 2026, for the above paragraph.

That means this team, over this and next off-season, needs to add:

1 starting DE
                        1 rotational DE
                        1-2 DTs
                        2 LBs
                        2 CBs
                        1 C
                        2 WR (at least a number 1 WR)
                        2 RBs

And that's just for guys that will heavily play and I'm a best case scenario where mostly everyone works out.

They can add stop gaps at some of those positions. They can spend in FA after the draft without it counting against the comp picks. But it's a lot of talent that needs to be added and top 100 picks should fill those needs. So getting a lot of them helps.

This team needs a lot of pieces over the next two years. That's why draftniks have us trading down so often.

Last edited by eaterfan; 04-18-2024, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I think it's more that the Chargers need to fill so many positions... The Chargers have their long term answers at how many positions? QB, LT, FS, SS. They have likely possible long term solutions (Zont and Palmer FAs after this year, though) at 1 DE spot, 1 CB, WR #2 or #3, LG. I think it's possible we have long term answers, though less likely, at RT, RG, and 2 LB (Niemann is a FA after this year and who knows with Henley). We have stop gaps at RB, C, CB, and TE. Long term solutions are solid or better starters expected to be on the roster in 2026, for the above paragraph.

That means this team, over this and next off-season, needs to add:

1 starting DE
                          1 rotational DE
                          1-2 DTs
                          2 LBs
                          2 CBs
                          1 C
                          2 WR (at least a number 1 WR)
                          2 RBs

And that's just for guys that will heavily play and I'm a best case scenario where mostly everyone works out.

They can add stop gaps at some of those positions. They can spend in FA after the draft without it counting against the comp picks. But it's a lot of talent that needs to be added and top 100 picks should fill those needs. So getting a lot of them helps.

This team needs a lot of pieces over the next two years. That's why draftniks have us trading down so often.
                          I’m not talking about the trade down reasons necessarily, I’m saying that the Chargers are the team these draft clowns use cause it’s convenient to their trades and the Chargers don’t really get shit in the trade down but they don’t care. They only care about the team that uses the Chargers. It’s totally out of line with what would be required to do any actual trade.

Comment

Working...
                          X